BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

34 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Sorry, but that's too much for my little brain!

All I can tell you is that my car's beeps change to constant when I get close (I think about 30cms?) to a wall and I get a red "STOP" on the screen. I'm not sure if this happens if the wall is directly in front of the car, but it definitely happens if it's at the side and I'm approaching it at an angle.

The reason for my issue is there’s no sensor on front ( only on corners) and I have to approach at 90° ( or slight angle ).

I can open forward facing camera but interference ( proximity ) at the side means the camera changes view and beeping intensifies from side but never reaches constant beeping as around 60 cm gap on each side.

It should be okay when the other car goes but currently is a PIA.

Am not sure if approaching a wall directly ahead, or parallel parking, the front (corner) sensors detect, I would hope so but suspect not !! ( they don’t detect a person or my dustbin !!

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The reason for my issue is there’s no sensor on front ( only on corners) and I have to approach at 90° ( or slight angle ).

I can open forward facing camera but interference ( proximity ) at the side means the camera changes view and beeping intensifies from side but never reaches constant beeping as around 60 cm gap on each side.

Am not sure if approaching a wall directly ahead, or parallel parking, the front (corner) sensors detect, I would hope so but suspect not !! ( they don’t detect a person or my dustbin !!

You can get a plastic bollard on Lazada and reverse until you see it move.  You can also get a traffic light proximity sensor that you fasten to the wall, maybe one on each corner and that will tell you when to stop.

There are also rubber raised tyre stops, but that involves screwing to the floor and might need moving when you change your car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Reversing is no problem as there are 4 sensors at the rear ( 2 on the corners and 2 in the middle).

The front has only 2 sensors on the corners.

Would be okay if I reversed into the car port but it isn’t really possible due to some unreasonable neighbours.

So the problem I am having is kinda unique I suppose, but here goes.

Currently I have another car in the car port leaving about 60 cm either side ( between car and house ).

Pulling in the front corner sensors detect the other car or the house and beep slowly.

The 360° camera opens on either the other car or the house and fluctuates between the two as I pull in.

I change the view to front facing ( as I want to pull close to the wall in front ) but it reverts back to the corner view as is detecting house or other car , it doesn’t stay fixed front facing .

The warning changes from slow to fast and doesn’t go to constant even when millimetres from the wall in front.

This is the problem I face, between the fast warning alarm and the 360° camera changing from one corner to the other ( as I am pulling in on an angle ) it makes for a stressful time.

Now, under normal circumstances I.e. when the other car has gone or parallel parking etc the front facing camera will be okay as no interference from the side.
Whether the corner sensors will detect the wall in front or if I have to rely on the camera I am not sure. 
Does the car beep at the front when parallel parking ??

Unless the front corner sensors are not calibrated properly and not looking in a forward direction as well as sideways am not sure what my solution will be. ( did a test with my dustbin in the street, could drive up to touching it without camera opening or any warning sound, is this normal ? )

Seriously considering some tyre stops bolted to the garage floor to avoid this !!

IMG_2007.thumb.jpeg.c7d89534be46db7cb59c58dc5d67cd22.jpeg

I say fokk the neighbors and park backwards, problem solved. I mean - what is more important, your car or your neighbors???? :burp:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

I say fokk the neighbors and park backwards, problem solved. I mean - what is more important, your car or your neighbors???? :burp:

Problem is the neighbours are a couple of A-holes who think they own the soi and leave a pick up outside at all angles.

To be honest driving in is favourable for me as might have shopping in the boot.

Driving in like this for around 6 years has always been easy as a front sensor would take preference and let me know exactly how much room in front.

Imagine driving into an enclosed garage where the side walls are detected but not the wall in front.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Problem is the neighbours are a couple of A-holes who think they own the soi and leave a pick up outside at all angles.

To be honest driving in is favourable for me as might have shopping in the boot.

Driving in like this for around 6 years has always been easy as a front sensor would take preference and let me know exactly how much room in front.

Imagine driving into an enclosed garage where the side walls are detected but not the wall in front.

This is all you need 🤣

• Thanks 2

On 12/2/2023 at 4:28 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Couple of things I forgot to mention:

Yesterday morning it was 29°c and very pleasant in the car, then the sun came out and it warmed up to 33°c and it became uncomfortable especially going home as the sun was all on my side .

Similar today as it hit 34°c , how Banders is living with no film I don’t know, must have some camel in his ancestry …… sorry .

Also, the front sensor that brings the camera on is a lot less sensitive than my previous cars, find myself getting way too close before the beeping shows any signs of urgency.

On the subject of window film. What did you all end going for ? I've been given the choices by the dealer. 

In terms of strength I'm thinking 40% front window, 60% side and rear and then 80% for the roof. Did anyone do anything different?

And apologies I know this was discussed previously, but I cant find the discussion amongst all the EV chat!

Screenshot_20231204-105754~2.png

Edited by Melpomene
Typo

31 minutes ago, Melpomene said:

On the subject of window film. What did you all end going for ? I've been given the choices by the dealer. 

In terms of strength I'm thinking 40% front window, 60% side and rear and then 80% for the roof. Did anyone do anything different?

And apologies I know this was discussed previously, but I cant find the discussion amongst all the EV chat!

Screenshot_20231204-105754~2.png

I haven’t done mine yet, maybe today or tomorrow. But I agree with the 40 front, 60 all round and 80 roof.

That Lamina Digital Ceramatrix looks a  good price, saw an advert on fb today for this stuff and it was 21,500 , not sure if that included the roof either.

I also fancied the Solar Gard Black Phantom which was on sale for 23,500 recently.

But as my showroom didn’t do film option will have to see what a local place have to offer. Haven’t bought film before, always got the freebie option with the car.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Set of 3

Traffic Pole 115cm Delineator post cone with heavy duty base 5kg safety guardrail | Lazada.co.th

They finished installing my wall box today. The previous one had a screw that been over tightened at the factory. 

The installer did a neat job, but wanted to leave before testing. The box comes with one RFID card. Which the installers said was necessary for charging. Plugged the car in and tapped the wall box with the card ….nothing. On the phone to base they said to install the ABB app 

IMG_2908.jpeg.150922e40bffbddc14b059bb47c3a3d7.jpeg

Sign up for an account, confirm Email. Scan the barcode on the charger - not that barcode the other barcode. Enter the PIN Code on the card in the manual. 

Connect to WiFi (only 2.5MHz) but the name and password (hidden) had already been entered! App says connecting to charger. Turns out it was using Bluetooth to connect. 

Retried charging and it worked

The many lights on the charger:

IMG_2910.thumb.jpeg.2027dac4b4bcc3272af4580ee72868e5.jpeg

The charging cable is only just long enough for a nose in first park - note the foam on the wall to avoid hard contact.

IMG_2907.thumb.jpeg.3a127d5511cfa4f614cdc0be417e4e45.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Is it not a simple matter of selecting the front camera, which shows a red line, and approaching the wall using the red line as a guide?

You'll need to practise a few times, creeping forward and getting in and out of the car to check, until you learn exactly where the red line needs to be so you are really close to the wall. Once you've got it, that's it! No tennis ball needed.

Hope this makes sense.

Edited by macahoom

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

Is it not a simple matter of selecting the front camera, which shows a red line, and approaching the wall using the red line as a guide?

You'll need to practise a few times, creeping forward and getting in and out of the car to check, until you learn exactly where the red line needs to be so you are really close to the wall. Once you've got it, that's it! No tennis ball needed.

Hope this makes sense.

Yes it should be but the front corner sensors detect the house to the right or the other car to the left and change the camera view as i pull forward.

Reversing in not a problem as the two sensors ( either side of the license plate ) take preference and the camera view remains fixed.

Tbh, this is the only place where i don’t reverse in to park so a one off problem which i doubt others are having, although i did notice @Bandersnatch put some foam on the wall in front of the Water Cat !

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

26 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes it should be but the front corner sensors detect the house to the right or the other car to the left and change the camera view as i pull forward.

Reversing in not a problem as the two sensors ( either side of the license plate ) take preference and the camera view remains fixed.

Tbh, this is the only place where i don’t reverse in to park so a one off problem which i doubt others are having, although i did notice @Bandersnatch put some foam on the wall in front of the Water Cat !

Have you installed the BYD dash-cam? Could you work from that video feed, as it is obviously a fixed view? might need some practice to get a reference point established.

Okay, just learnt something: 

I mentioned in an earlier post that, even when set at recirculation mode, we could still smell exhaust fumes inside the car. Some Thai owners have reported the same on Facebook.

The solution, someone says, is to turn off the “PM 2.5”. I guess this must refer to the air purification gizmo. Interesting!

There's another gem for you, JBChiangRai.

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Have you installed the BYD dash-cam? Could you work from that video feed, as it is obviously a fixed view? might need some practice to get a reference point established.

I haven’t fit as am going to go for the Sinjet rear/front combined unit.

The streaming of rear view on your rv mirror is a deal breaker for me.

( although rear camera could be fit inside as an option, appealing to my OCD have gone with outside mounting as advised by Sinjet )

• Love It 1

37 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

While a good quality film is important equally so is finding someone competent and responsible

to fit it.

Having never needed to search for a film fitting service before i was more than pleasantly surprised to discover this Car Spa hidden in downtown Ayutthaya.

A large sign simply stating “ CREAM “ guides you through a alleyway where it opens out into a large courtyard with parking for around 40 cars and a array of washing, drying, detailing, window films, ceramic coatings, protective films,a showroom, office, a nice house, a coffee shop, a barber shop and a salon !! all run by Cream and her husband.

These people are making a killing, a non stop stream of customers .

Haven’t checked out the quality of fit yet but feel i am in good hands .

IMG_2034.thumb.jpeg.24491c5a2b97a2da057642a4566e9441.jpeg

IMG_2036.thumb.jpeg.0bd53401f944e8c97d2bc180cb68e0e4.jpeg

IMG_2037.thumb.jpeg.83a65a4650365a69a267c445e4007021.jpeg

IMG_2038.thumb.jpeg.5257020776c7e6e237a283859dfba02c.jpeg

Wait, what.........no massage parlor on their premise? 

That would keep me busy while they massage my car.......... :cheesy:

On a more serious note - it looks very professional how they go about protecting the car while installing the film, this imbues confidence in their work.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

Wait, what.........no massage parlor on their premise? 

That would keep me busy while they massage my car.......... :cheesy:

Well the salon has its curtains drawn so you never know !!

I am follicly challenged so no excuse would be sufficient to explain to the little lady why I wanted to enter the “ hair salon “ so it will remain a mystery !

Edited by Andrew Dwyer

22 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

The box comes with one RFID card. Which the installers said was necessary for charging. Plugged the car in and tapped the wall box with the card ….nothing. On the phone to base they said to install the ABB app 

I plugged in the Seal today and switched on the breaker, while I was still thinking about RFID cards and Apps, the car chirped in to action and I got a BYD notification on my Apple Watch

“Start Charging Water Cat”

:partytime2:

• Like 1

After my lengthy wait at the Car Spa yesterday for window film I took a little look at Paint Protection Film and Ceramic Coating . Both very impressive and like window films there’s various levels of price.

The pros and cons of each are many but basically PPF gives the best protection but is costly, CC gives the best glossy shine, less protection but cheaper.

CC includes an every 6 months buffing for 5 years ( supposedly lasts 7 years on the most expensive @ around 30k ) while PPF starts around 40k.

Got to thinking if it is possible to combine the two ?, ceramic coating a clear film ?

PPF on front bumper and bonnet, CC all over ??

Apparently that is possible:

https://www.exclusivepaintprotection.com/paint-protection-film-ceramic-coating/

Of course there are various options on pricing and depending on your preference might not be cost effective ( i.e. just go PPF all round ).

Here’s an example:

IMG_2052.thumb.jpeg.91d866e9b60c5eeaa0ac7798f9ba0393.jpeg

( not really interested in the scratch protection film inside or interior upholstery so could be cheaper )

I know we talked about this before but now a few of us have received the cars have we come to any conclusions about this ?

What does the team think ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

What does the team think ?

Based on my research, mostly on American forums, I have come to the conclusion that none of them are worth doing and that, as JB says, a good wax every six months is a better idea.

• Thanks 2

I have a “stone chip” on the front of my seal (see video above) it’s not really a chip it’s more of a tear in the vinyl like top color coat (there is no hard clear coat) 

Thanks for the suggestions for touch up paint. I bought both suggestions and will do a post on them later. 

Thanks also for the comments on ppf 

On 12/4/2023 at 7:36 AM, macahoom said:

Sorry I've been so slow to come back to you about this.

I tried to change the tyre pressure default to something else, but it always reverted to tyre pressures. But then yesterday, with no input from me, it changed to "Last 50kms AEC" and stayed there. Even when I changed it back to tyre pressures, it reverted to "Last 50 kms AEC".

So it looks like you can change the default, but how to do it is a mystery to me.

Okay, so had a little look at how to change what is displayed on the centre of the instrument cluster, mine was stuck reverting back to tyre pressure.

So :

Press here:

IMG_2063.thumb.jpeg.108c566ed6f47196449eaef487a04ae0.jpeg

and the view will change to this:

IMG_2068.thumb.jpeg.3afece90956f5122e761a5e217d524b5.jpeg

using the left and right arrows you can scroll across the small icons displayed.

IMG_2064.jpeg.3d36dedcc9fde0e8e4afbdeab4bee096.jpeg

some icons will display only one image, others have more, using the scroll wheel

IMG_2065.jpeg.b778eb044df53573a05643a55d9c94a8.jpeg

you can scroll through the options on each small icon.

Finding the option you wish to add as as default on the instrument cluster a short press on the scroll wheel saves it

Note: a long press will set any settings back to zero.

The scroll wheel on the steering wheel is referred to as the “ OK “ button.

What this “OK” means on the instrument cluster i don’t know, unless it is just to say “ no problem found “ ?

IMG_2069.thumb.jpeg.1130fadbc8c8cb3997862b724018764f.jpeg

• Thanks 2