BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

28 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe there are any BYD sanctioned optional extras for the Seal - unless individual dealerships are offering non-official options like window film.

Okay, I think you could be right as nothing was mentioned when I placed the order .

@Bandersnatch I believe was offered a selection of films but as you say maybe not every showroom.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, motdaeng said:

did I miss something? why would someone turn off the daylight running lights on the car?

Well I think it was mainly for the Atto 3 when people went camping and wanted to attach a tent and run the air con they found they couldn’t turn off the lights.

Even had some Aussies complain as they had gone to a drive in movie and had to cover the headlights.

I agree that the situations where you want to turn off the daytime running lights are few but enough for them to incorporate it into an update, albeit for a Dolphin.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The life of a BYD salesperson must be pretty good right now !

Yesterday I perused 'our' BYD dealer's FB page, and could not believe the number of cars they handed over to customers - mostly Dolphins and Atto 3s, but also quite a few Seals. It's a massive dealership, but the traffic must make the owner smile all the way to the bank.......did I hear a happy jingle a lingle a ting?

The flip side is, service suffers, they are simply overwhelmed. BYD is expanding so rapidly worldwide, so not surprisingly, their ratings in China are in the toilet.

• Agree 1

Speaking of landing Seals, at around 1pm today I drove by my BYD dealership here in western Bangkok and there were two 8 vehicle carriers parked in front.  The 1st carrier had already began unloading and only had two vehicles left on it....an Atto and a Dolphin....don't know what the other 6 already unloaded might have been assuming it came fully loaded with 8 vehicles.   And the 2nd carrier hadn't begun unloading yet and it had 7 Seals of various colors and 1 Atto on it.   I was also at my dealership from 9:30am to 10am this morning getting a 2nd NFC card made and they must had had a dozen Seals parked around/in the facility.  The Seal is definitely hot stuff right now.

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

A couple of questions:

I want to stop the Hi BYD voice from butting in and just use the steering wheel button but cannot find where to disable auto voice.

On the small screen the tyre pressure monitor is on by default, is there any way to get anything else on there , there’s a lot of stuff on there already would prefer something simpler.

Last one, tyre pressures, the dealer had put 40psi on front and 42psi behind but the spec is 36 and 42 , seems like a big difference ( I don’t think I have owned a car before where front and back were different !).

Any thoughts ?

Has anyone taken a close look at the BYD badge on front ?, a fb guy painted his gold but said he had to remove the bumper to do this which I thought really strange.

Take a close look , it is very unusual, the bumper is not indented it has holes, in BYD form , through the bumper itself and has moulded plastic on the inside holding it together, very unusual and again unnecessarily complicated.

From the inside:

IMG_1971.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I want to stop the Hi BYD voice from butting in and just use the steering wheel button but cannot find where to disable auto voice.

I don't believe you can disable her voice.

It doesn't bother me. I like the way it types out what you say on the screen. 

32 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

On the small screen the tyre pressure monitor is on by default, is there any way to get anything else on there , there’s a lot of stuff on there already would prefer something simpler.

Yeh, you can but I could only describe how to do it if I was sitting in the car at the moment, which I'm not.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Last one, tyre pressures, the dealer had put 40psi on front and 42psi behind but the spec is 36 and 42 , seems like a big difference ( I don’t think I have owned a car before where front and back were different !).

Any thoughts ?

I'm inclined to follow BYD's recommendation. I'd be surprised if they've got it wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, macahoom said:

I don't believe you can disable her voice.

It doesn't bother me. I like the way it types out what you say on the screen. 

Sorry , maybe I wasn’t clear, I love the “ Hi BYD Lady “ and will talk to her often, I don’t want saying “ Hi BYD “ , or anything close to that , to bring her online and would prefer to summon her using the steering wheel button only.

Am sure this option was available on Atto 3 but maybe mistaken, not a big deal.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Tested granny charger out, started off at 1.2 kw then every 5 minutes or so went up by .1 kw to 1.7 kw 

Normal ?

Yeap...all normal with it climbing up to 1.7KW as that will be the max (give or take a tenth of a KW) the 10A (2.2KWH) granny charger can provide. 

Although the granny charger has a 2.2KWH/10A rating you'll have about 0.5KWH in charging losses in this car-charger combination since the car's electronics/rectifier/fans will eat around 0.5KW of the 2.2KW with the remaining going into the battery.    When my 10A granny charger is hooked to my Atto the car starts off by showing around 1.1KWH for a second or two and then climbs to 1.7KWH.   

With a 7KWH/30A wall charger you'll still have that approx 0.5KW charging loss...as mentioned that 0.5KW is being used by the car's onboard rectifier/electronics/fans/etc., with the remaining actually going into the battery.

With your Seal Premium 82.56KWH battery charging at 1.7KWH it will take a mere 48 hours to charge the battery from 0 to 100%, 12 hours from 75% to 100%, etc.  Granny is slow but still gets the job done. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

and would prefer to summon her using the steering wheel button only.

That's all I need to do - just press the button. It is not necessary to say "Hi BYD".

Don't tell me the latest update requires you to speak to summon her!

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Has anyone taken a close look at the BYD badge on front ?, a fb guy painted his gold but said he had to remove the bumper to do this which I thought really strange.

Take a close look , it is very unusual, the bumper is not indented it has holes, in BYD form , through the bumper itself and has moulded plastic on the inside holding it together, very unusual and again unnecessarily complicated.

From the inside:

IMG_1971.jpeg

Thinking about this I wonder if the BYD logo was meant to be illuminated at one time ?

With a bright light the letters become see through.

The above photo is taken by my phone, with flash, from the inside and that dark pattern is my shirt !!

Intriguing ………. well i thought so.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

To answer my own question:

Swipe right on the main screen and click on the “ BYD Assistant “ which has a few options, one of which is to disable summoning the Assistant by saying “ Hi BYD “ and relying solely on the steering wheel button .

NOTE: I since decided that saying “ Hi BYD “ is easier than looking down for the microphone button.

Plus, keeping eyes on the road is better than looking down at the steering wheel.