Where to catch bahtbus to Jontiem

mrblonde

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes the South Pattaya queue is still there.

First take a bus to Pattaya Tai.

The fare is 10 baht. There is ZERO controversy about the fare from there. 

Again -- 10 baht.

Of course never talk to drivers.

However, there is now a DIFFERENCE.

You don't board the bus at the back of the row of busses anymore. Instead you need to walk to the bus at the front of the row to board that.

There you will find the same sometimes overly aggressive and abusive bus minders trying and usually succeeding in overpacking the buses.

There are no markings on beach road that a bus MIGHT be headed to Jomtien. Most do not. You don't want to ask them because then it's a taxi. So it's best to forget that option and just get to the South Pattaya queue and take a second bus.

I’m sure it’s still the bus at the back which is first. 
You CAN ask a bus going down beach road, just don’t mention a specific destination. Simply ask “Jomtien?” when it stops for you. If he/she nods without saying anything, it’s a bus. If they try to negotiate, you can decide if it’s worth your while or you can just get off at the South Pattaya Road/Second Road junction and take the 10 baht bus from near the Police box.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No!

It's absolutely the front one now.

Have you even done this recently?

Sometimes you might get on a bus on beach road and when it gets to South Pattaya it turns towards Jomtien.

You CAN stay on it if you like but they are not committed to go as far as you expect in Jomtien then. 

Also they know where you got on, and they know about the queue system so there's a good chance they'll demand 20 baht anyway.

Enjoy

I don’t use baht buses at all. I just see people sitting in the bus at the back of the line 😊

Some people may be happy to just stay on a bus from the beach road, instead of getting off and having to wait for another. If they have to pay 20 baht, they were going to pay that anyway. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

So, a guy who admits he doesn't use the baht buses to Jomtien is arguing with a guy who uses them regularly, is aware of the new queueing system, and he calls this guy 'stupid'

If you ask the driver of an empty baht bus if he is going to Jomtien of course he will say yes, and charge for a private ride. If he has passengers he might even throw them off and take the private rate... Happened to me. 

No arguing…. just saying what I saw in passing with the extra info that it was at night, so may have been the only one there. 
As to asking about Jomtien, the driver will make it clear as to whether it’s a charter or not, by simply quoting a price or driving off before they can get on. 
Just an exchange of info; not really that important 😊 Though of course for some sad sacks, it’s their whole day..

• Confused 2

Stop the argument please. 

If they come from Grand Avenue they will not get on the beach road route. They will probably walk down 2nd road until they reach the cross road where the beach road busses have turned to go up 2nd road. 

So from that intersection, where are the busses to Jomtien waiting? 

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes the South Pattaya queue is still there.

First take a bus to Pattaya Tai.

The fare is 10 baht. There is ZERO controversy about the fare from there. 

Again -- 10 baht.

Of course never talk to drivers.

However, there is now a DIFFERENCE.

You don't board the bus at the back of the row of busses anymore. Instead you need to walk to the bus at the front of the row to board that.

There you will find the same sometimes overly aggressive and abusive bus minders trying and usually succeeding in overpacking the buses.

There are no markings on beach road that a bus MIGHT be headed to Jomtien. Most do not. You don't want to ask them because then it's a taxi. So it's best to forget that option and just get to the South Pattaya queue and take a second bus.

Why don't you just take a Bolt motosai instead of a greasy songthaew? It's much more exciting anyway because they don't know that you're going to give them a nice tip so they double-time it for the 40 baht pittance on offer 😂

17 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

If they come from Grand Avenue they will not get on the beach road route. They will probably walk down 2nd road until they reach the cross road where the beach road busses have turned to go up 2nd road. 

So from that intersection, where are the busses to Jomtien waiting? 

They should walk down soi 15 (that Grand Avenue is on) which comes out on 2nd road about 100 metres short of south Pattaya road. Cross the lights at south Pattaya road and baht bus queue is there

Edited by Pattaya57

11 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Why don't you just take a Bolt motosai instead of a greasy songthaew? It's much more exciting anyway because they don't know that you're going to give them a nice tip so they double-time it for the 40 baht pittance on offer 😂

Much more dangerous than a bus so no thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Much more dangerous than a bus so no thank you.

If they were so dangerous we'd be reading about it every day here on the esteemed AN. Juddy and his crew at TPN would be all over it like a Bangkok sewer rat after the bins are put out.

Is it really the danger or do you struggle to mount a motorcycle? Lord knows I have a lot of trouble and I'm still a young pup, especially so at 3AM, so I can sympathize 😉

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

If they were so dangerous we'd be reading about it every day here on the esteemed AN. Juddy and his crew at TPN would be all over it like a Bangkok sewer rat after the bins are put out.

Is it really the danger or do you struggle to mount a motorcycle? Lord knows I have a lot of trouble and I'm still a young pup, especially so at 3AM, so I can sympathize 😉

Whatevers.

3 hours ago, NextG said:

I’m sure it’s still the bus at the back which is first. 
You CAN ask a bus going down beach road, just don’t mention a specific destination. Simply ask “Jomtien?” when it stops for you. If he/she nods without saying anything, it’s a bus. If they try to negotiate, you can decide if it’s worth your while or you can just get off at the South Pattaya Road/Second Road junction and take the 10 baht bus from near the Police box.

I used to point in the direction of "Jomtiem" but I didn't get many hits. Seems to work better on the other routes but that was a veeeery long time ago in the good old 5 baht days.

2 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Much of it depends on your physical condition. 

Yeah I expect there's an age when you just won't be able to handle it. I'll find out in a few short years 😉

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Been riding motorcycle taxis in Patts since NYE 1997, never a problem yet. 

I've ridden big bikes most of my life so know how 'safe' bikes are. I've probably taken 6 bike taxi since 2008 but the last one the guy seemed to be on something. He was motorcycle racing and ignored all requests to slow down. He ended up stacking the bike and my foot was badly bruised. I couldn't walk without a limp for a month and 2 years later I still have to strap my ankle when I do long walks

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya57 said:

I've ridden big bikes most of my life so know how 'safe' bikes are. I've probably taken 6 bike taxi since 2008 but the last one the guy seemed to be on something. He was motorcycle racing and ignored all requests to slow down. He ended up stacking the bike and my foot was badly bruised. I couldn't walk without a limp for a month and 2 years later I still have to strap my ankle when I do long walks

What's his number? 😁

5 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Does the bus returning from Jomtien continue across South Pattaya Rd up 2nd road or does it stop there. 

It continues all the way up to Terminal 21 (it used to stop just after South Pattaya Road intersection but now carries on). Longest I've done is wombat & Kiwi Bar on soi 9 jomtien to Central Festival, 10 baht

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1