Bangkok condo conundrum: Thai man’s discount deal to evict stubborn mother

snoop1130

2012-31.jpg

A Thai man put his Bangkok condo room up for sale at a low price to force his interfering mother to move out. He says he can’t personally use the condo because his mother refuses to leave.

The Thai man announced the sale on a Facebook group on October 26. The condominium is situated within the HR Residence project, which is conveniently located opposite The Mall Bang Kapi shopping centre in Bangkok’s Bang Kapi district.

While the current market value for a Bangkok condo room typically falls within the range of 300,000 to 400,000 baht, the Thai man is offering it at a discounted rate of 240,000 baht. Additionally, he has expressed his willingness to cover a 10,000 baht transfer fee for the prospective buyer. The Thai man elaborated on the rationale behind this surprising Bangkok condo offer in his post.

“I acquired the room legally from a bank. There is nothing illegal about the sale. I just want to end the whole burden. My mother is currently occupying the property, even though she has her own residence nearby. I am her son, so there is not much I can do. I am selling it at a low price so that the buyer can use the discount to evict my mother instead.”

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via Matichon

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

Even if it's his own mother, it's still an eviction whether she lives with his permission or not and as any former landlord knows, evictions can go sideways very easily. 

Look how difficult it is for owners to evict squatters in many European countries and in many US states.  In their haste to protect tenants from "greedy" landlords, all sorts of roadblocks were enacted that can make it very difficult to remove somebody from a property.  Even if an owner puts locks on the door, he can end up the looser in court, ending up paying the tenant.

It really is an upside down mess.

• Like 1

Thai children are expected to look after their parents in their old age.

Don't know if Thai family law cover this.

Reading the link, seems it can take 2-4 months in court to get mum evicted, the she has up to 2 months to get out.

Worth mentioning that mum has her own unit somewhere.