YouTube blocking

Bangkok Barry

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Not mentioned, but from my viewing, adds are not an issue if watching non-monetized content.  If channel is willing to provide free content you get free content without advertising.

uBlock does not discriminate between monetized and non-monetized content, it just stops all ads on any site, not just YouTube.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

uBlock does not discriminate between monetized and non-monetized content, it just stops all ads on any site, not just YouTube.

I am talking about YouTube inserting adds - they do not appear to insert into non-monetized content even if not using add blocker.

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

I am talking about YouTube inserting adds - they do not appear to insert into non-monetized content even if not using add blocker.

Are you sure?

''YouTube is Showing Ads On Non-Monetized Channels

YouTube is running ads on non-monetized channels, but the creators aren't receiving a share of ad revenue''

10 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Are you sure?

''YouTube is Showing Ads On Non-Monetized Channels

YouTube is running ads on non-monetized channels, but the creators aren't receiving a share of ad revenue''

I take my post back - today click on below got add before started (not sure if would have been any during video).  Had no advertising during 2 hour videos this week and hope that will be the case on todays six hour version.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

I wonder why the large discrepancy in pricing between countries. Thailand THB139, UK £12, US $13.99

YouTube has a number of different access plans in different markets.  You might be confusing dis-similar plans.

2 hours ago, dddave said:

YouTube has a number of different access plans in different markets.  You might be confusing dis-similar plans.

I was looking at prices for Youtube Premium. Just out of interest, the cheapest country for this is Turkey at $1.11/month.

According to this website, it is possible to buy in Turkey using a VPN to get said price:

https://vpn.nsspirt-cashf2.com/the-best-way-to-get-youtube-premium-cheaper-via-turkey/    Though it should be the same through any VPN.

Edited by phetphet

15 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

What rich scam artists??? They offer an option to pay for not getting the commercial. It´s called Youtube Premium

They got rich by monetising our data. Not necessarily with our permission. Now they want us to pay again. They’ll get nothing from me. No one forced them to buy YouTube. They didn’t do it for altruistic reasons. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2023 at 8:14 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Ad blocking is the problem though, isn't it. YouTube is not allowing us to view videos with one. If Brave automatically uses one then in theory you can no longer watch the videos using Brave without turning the blocker off.

"in theory"...  I don't know. Using Brave, I get a message sometimes, but then just refresh, the message goes away and I watch the YouTube video...

Thank you for all the alternate methods. I might have to use them one day.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

I pay the 159 baht.  Its the price of a pint lads! 🍺

When you also consider that youtube music streaming is included, its a steal.

I'd happily pay it too but they wont let me use Paypal as my account doesn't match the country I am accessing Youtube from. I tried the Shopee pay method but they wont accept my Thai pink card number and Bangkok Bank say I need a work permit to get a credit card with them despite banking with them for over 30 years.

Perhaps if they made it easier to pay then they'd get more people taking up the 159 baht offer.

Edited by nahkit
stupid zero key doesn't work on my laptop

2 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I'd happily pay it too but they wont let me use Paypal as my account doesn't match the country I am accessing Youtube from. I tried the Shopee pay method but they wont accept my Thai pink card number and Bangkok Bank say I need a work permit to get a credit card with them despite banking with them for over 30 years.

Perhaps if they made it easier to pay then they'd get more people taking up the 159 baht offer.

I pay from my pre-paid AIS account.

4 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Use a VPN to sign up from the country that matches 🤦🏻‍♂️
Once done, you can sign in anywhere. It’s just the initial sign up that matters. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On my phone (Android), I'm using a free app, Pure Tuber, which acts as a YouTube mirror app. You can connect to your YouTube account through it, and you keep all your playlists. Not only does it remove the ads, but you can also continue listening to the music with the screen turned off, or while using other apps, with Pure Tuber in the background. 

I downloaded a similar app for my Android TV, SmartTube Beta, but installation is trickier. I first had to download the APK on my phone, send it to my tv via another app "send files to tv", and install it there...

Edited by kiaora1968
Spelling

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

I use my Kasikorn debit card without issue.

Easy peasy

2 hours ago, NextG said:

Use a VPN to sign up from the country that matches 🤦🏻‍♂️
Once done, you can sign in anywhere. It’s just the initial sign up that matters. 

That is interesting. When it was known that most of us would no longer be able to use PayPal in Thailand I don't recall anyone mentioning this workaround. Worth looking into, as I have a UK bank account which it would be linked to. I'm guessing it would need a UK address too? But HSBC still allows me to use my UK account with a Thai address, despite it now being 'discouraged'.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That is interesting. When it was known that most of us would no longer be able to use PayPal in Thailand I don't recall anyone mentioning this workaround. Worth looking into, as I have a UK bank account which it would be linked to. I'm guessing it would need a UK address too? But HSBC still allows me to use my UK account with a Thai address, despite it now being 'discouraged'.

I use my PayPal account as normal in Thailand. Though not for purchasing anything in Thailand. 

10 hours ago, NextG said:

They got rich by monetising our data. Not necessarily with our permission. Now they want us to pay again. They’ll get nothing from me. No one forced them to buy YouTube. They didn’t do it for altruistic reasons. 

Nah, that´s why some run successful companies, while other just complain

2 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Nah, that´s why some run successful companies, while other just complain

Have you seen me complain? I just wrote that so won’t be paying for a subscription. 
As to successful companies… some of us have been there and done that. Are you still hacking away at it?

Edited by NextG

13 minutes ago, NextG said:

Have you seen me complain? I just wrote that so won’t be paying for a subscription. 
As to successful companies… some of us have been there and done that. Are you still hacking away at it?

No need to hack my friend. Have come much longer than that. But, nice to hear you have no problems.

3 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No need to hack my friend. Have come much longer than that. But, nice to hear you have no problems.

Another one somewhat preoccupied with money…

I don’t look down on those who have little or nothing.