Tragic Red Light Collision in Ratchaburi Claims One Life

webfact

b0ab6543cd18fba3fa9cc811062c870289d02430e221d278d1f14e73a437e70a.jpg

On November 2, 2023, a Honda Click motorcycle was involved in a fatal collision with an 18-wheeler at the Huai Chin Singh intersection in Ratchaburi City.

The motorcycle rider, a 63-year-old woman identified only as Ms. Prathum from Tambon Khu Bua, was killed instantly, while another individual was severely injured, reported Siam Rath.

11fd0c2739d010b9603407b6418eacac24880ca6d6c0c0d77452637ac4f8b341.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

The Ratchaburi Provincial Police, along with emergency medical responders, arrived at the scene where the motorcycle lay wrecked. Nearby, the body of Ms. Prathum was discovered, while the injured party had already been transported to the hospital in critical condition.

The truck, bearing Nakhon Pathom license plates, was stopped a short distance away with its 26-year-old driver, Mr. Chalermphon, waiting to surrender to the authorities.

93f8b68abe22889a438047ee227ab615cdbb8f46f262283ca44a944d51563068.jpg

An eyewitness, 62-year-old Mr. Suchat, reported that the motorcycle accelerated through the intersection as the traffic light turned green.

However, the truck, approaching at high speed, did not appear to slow down, resulting in a catastrophic collision with the motorcycle at the truck's rear wheels.

af722188fcfb22738763043658e9d9b880ce54b71a74caa512eaf63848e4cf3c.jpg

Subsequent investigation by the press at the Huai Chin Singh municipal office revealed that the truck had a green light during the incident. The truck driver has been taken into custody by the Ratchaburi City Police for further questioning to ascertain the facts of the case.

Top picture: Picture: Siam Rath

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-11-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The utter carelessness on the roads continues- just like the Thai’s I’ve become numb to it..

If only there were a way to resolve such as effective training, effective policing & and effective follow up legal system…. 

Effective training is a waste of time, the majority wouldn’t listen, effective policing, I regularly see people run red lights, the policeman in the box never bothers.

CCTV at every traffic light to catch the offenders that is if their vehicle is registered.

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Subsequent investigation by the press at the Huai Chin Singh municipal office revealed that the truck had a green light during the incident.

Not sure what the rules are elsewhere but the green light in the U.K. means go if the way ahead is clear not carte blanche to proceed just because it’s a green light.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Not sure what the rules are elsewhere but the green light in the U.K. means go if the way ahead is clear not carte blanche to proceed just because it’s a green light.

In Thailand it doesn't matter what the rules are. Thais do whatever they want to do. Checking that it's clear doesn't appear to occur to many of them.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Yes it is carte blanche to proceed on a green light in the UK. Green light means absolute right of way if people slowed down or stopped at green traffic lights most cities would grind to a halt and become gridlocked 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobU said:

Yes it is carte blanche to proceed on a green light in the UK. Green light means absolute right of way if people slowed down or stopped at green traffic lights most cities would grind to a halt and become gridlocked 

Wikipedia,

Wrong.

In the UK, normal traffic lights follow this sequence: Red – Stop, do not proceed. Red and Amber – Get ready to proceed, but do not proceed yet. Green – Proceed if the intersection or crossing is clear; vehicles are not allowed to block the intersection or crossing.

Highway Code,

Green: You can go if it is safe to do so. Give way to any pedestrians who are crossing. Amber: Stop. If you have already crossed the stop line when the amber light appears or are positioned close to the stop line where stopping may be dangerous, you should proceed.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Wikipedia,

Wrong.

In the UK, normal traffic lights follow this sequence: Red – Stop, do not proceed. Red and Amber – Get ready to proceed, but do not proceed yet. Green – Proceed if the intersection or crossing is clear; vehicles are not allowed to block the intersection or crossing.

Highway Code,

Green: You can go if it is safe to do so. Give way to any pedestrians who are crossing. Amber: Stop. If you have already crossed the stop line when the amber light appears or are positioned close to the stop line where stopping may be dangerous, you should proceed.

As I Said, in the UK, when then traffic light is GREEN you have ABSOLUTE RIGHT OF WAY you do not proceed with caution when the light is green. The same rule applies in Thailand. I drive in both countries

The places in the UK where you should proceed with caution are T Junctions with double dashed lines 

I fail to understand your point.  It seems that you don't understand traffic lights and probably don't drive and you are Thai bashing

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RobU said:

As I Said, in the UK, when then traffic light is GREEN you have ABSOLUTE RIGHT OF WAY you do not proceed with caution when the light is green. The same rule applies in Thailand. I drive in both countries

The places in the UK where you should proceed with caution are T Junctions with double dashed lines 

I fail to understand your point.  It seems that you don't understand traffic lights and probably don't drive and you are Thai bashing

There are road rules 'aplenty in Thailand. There is only one reality.

Always expect the unexpected and never ever think that another Thai driver gives a toss about you or your family.

You will be buried along with the gift box of bird juice followed by a wai. Good luck with your expectations.🙃🙃

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

There are road rules 'aplenty in Thailand. There is only one reality.

Always expect the unexpected and never ever think that another Thai driver gives a toss about you or your family.

You will be buried along with the gift box of bird juice followed by a wai. Good luck with your expectations.🙃🙃

The lorry driver did nothing wrong 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RobU said:

The lorry driver did nothing wrong 

There is no right or wrong in Thailand. It is every one for themselves. Lorry driver simply went throo a red light!

Anybody could tell you to never ever enter a cross road or T intersection immediately upon a green light. Wait at least 3 seconds and check left and right.

Many 18 wheelers I see in my central province highway 340, either flick their lights or blast the air horn before flying through a 5 second red light.🙃🙃

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

There is no right or wrong in Thailand. It is every one for themselves. Lorry driver simply went throo a red light!

Might want to look at the photos again.  The lorry was going through a green arrow, the MC was jumping a red light.  Notice she is already out into the intersection but the MC drivers were still waiting for a green light for their side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Anybody could tell you to never ever enter a cross road or T intersection immediately upon a green light. Wait at least 3 seconds and check left and right.

Many 18 wheelers I see in my central province highway 340, either flick their lights or blast the air horn before flying through a 5 second red light.🙃🙃

The article states that the lorry driver had a green light where do you see he went through a red light

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2023 at 10:20 AM, ikke1959 said:

too young truck driver and irresponsible...as many no proper education and no clue that if you brake it takes time to stand still

Do you "brake" while going through a green light?  The truck was going through a green light on a highway... the motorcycle hit his rear wheels.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Might want to look at the photos again.  The lorry was going through a green arrow, the MC was jumping a red light.  Notice she is already out into the intersection but the MC drivers were still waiting for a green light for their side.

Fair enuff. Photo not so clear on my old small phone.🙃🙃

16 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Do you "brake" while going through a green light?  The truck was going through a green light on a highway... the motorcycle hit his rear wheels.

When I learned to drive a car we always had to slow down at traffic lights.... not braking, but here in Thailand is speeding the only things that counts and than unexpected things occur as there is no time for braking anymore

4 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

No wonder there are so many terrible drivers and traffic jams if that is really what you were taught.

Maybe that is why in my country there so many traffic deaths in one year as here in Thailand in a day

• Haha 1

On 11/3/2023 at 5:38 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

So are you saying that EVERY driver going through a Green Light should check to see that it is all clear and there are no morons trying to run their red light.

I was taught that, to save fuel, approach a red light slowly without actually stopping until it turns green, then foot down. 

Edited by KannikaP

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So are you saying that EVERY driver going through a Green Light should check to see that it is all clear and there are no morons trying to run their red light.

I was taught that, to save fuel, approach a red light slowly without actually stopping until it turns green, then foot down. 

Yes check the Highway Code, you would fail the UK Driving Test if you said green means go, my driving instructor emphasized this years ago 

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Yes check the Highway Code, you would fail the UK Driving Test if you said green means go, my driving instructor emphasized this years ago 

Luckily I shall not be taking the UK driving test as I passed it in 1965 instructed by my Dad. No accidents since then, and loads of green lights negotiated safely.

Edited by KannikaP

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Luckily I shall not be taking the UK driving test as I passed it in 1965 instructed by my Dad. No accidents since then, and loads of green lights negotiated safely.

Don’t tempt fate, remember this is Thailand where some drivers here think they have the right of way no matter what colour the light is.