Most British people hold positive view of immigration, survey reveals

Social Media

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I wonder where this survey was done?

If I had to guess I'd say a broad section of the UK population living in Islington, Tower Hamlets, Newham and Waltham Forest.😃

London is certainly beautifully diverse these days. Marvellous. In fact, it looks so beautiful I might give up my life here and go back... Who needs beaches, islands, temples, forests when you could return to rampant knife crime and enjoy this scenic view during your Sunday afternoon shop?

image.png.1ce2d0eeccf52b38ec5692dd0bc78e91.png

Same methodology as previous survey waves which showed a less positive attitude.

BTW, you can check everything about the methodology and data, as It's all open data on their website.

https://www.europeansocialsurvey.org/

For example for UK, here is their sampling methodology.

Sampling procedure

Probability: Multistage

Sampling Frame: Postcode Address File (small users), which is a list of addresses to which the Royal Mail delivers mail, excluding “large users”, which are generally businesses. Sampling Design: A 4-stage design. At the first stage, 391 postcode sectors are selected as PSUs, with probability proportional to number of addresses, within strata formed by 12 regions and using systematic random sampling after sorting within regions by a combination of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD), percentage of households privately renting and percentage of pensioners. At the second stage, 15 addresses are selected by systematic random sampling within each PSU. The third stage applies only at addresses that contain more than one dwelling and consists of a random selection of up to three dwellings. Finally, one person is selected at each dwelling using a Kish grid procedure.

Geographical Unit: North East (England), North West (England), Yorkshire and the Humber, East Midlands (England), West Midlands (England), East of England, London, South East (England), South West (England), Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland

Edited by candide
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

Did they compare the favorability of a well run immigration program of vetting, visas, and favoring those with skills in demand, versus letting just anyone come floating across in a boat with no clue who they are, where they come from, or what they believe?

I know very few people who don't favor immigration.  On both sides of the Atlantic Pond.  Just not the way it's being done.

Edited by impulse
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Did they compare the favorability of a well run immigration program of vetting, visas, and favoring those with skills in demand, versus letting just anyone come floating across in a boat with no clue who they are, where they come from, or what they believe?

I know very few people who don't favor immigration.  On both sides of the Atlantic Pond.  Just not the way it's being done.

Having taken back control, they surely favour the Government managing the UK’s borders.

Though oddly, when the Government have paved immigration and some silly ‘stop the boats’ slogan front and center of their policies they’ve lost badly in the polls.

Maybe the Government and the rightwing press are messaging on the wrong concern.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Though oddly, when the Government have paved immigration and some silly ‘stop the boats’ slogan front and center of their policies they’ve lost badly in the polls.

That's because a significant segment of the population conflates "Stop the boats" with "No more freebies for anyone". 

Not hard to understand, since unfettered immigration comes from the same folks that brought us the perpetual welfare state.  If you want the freebies to keep flowing, you gotta vote for guys who also want to let the immigrants keep rowing.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, impulse said:

That's because a significant segment of the population conflates "Stop the boats" with "No more freebies for anyone". 

Not hard to understand, since unfettered immigration comes from the same folks that brought us the perpetual welfare state.  If you want the freebies to keep flowing, you gotta vote for guys who also want to let the immigrants keep rowing.

You need to review immigration per year v party in Government, since you mention ‘rowing’ take a close look at small boat arrivals v party in power.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

It depends where you do the survey.  In London you will get positive minded well-educated people.  In Kent they will make a ring of salt and talk to you via a mirror.

The topic mentions "most British people" so a broad, nationwide poll is necessary, with many more than 1100 bods.

I wonder how Gottfid & GOAT are going to shoehorn a Brit-bash out of this thread !!! 

Personally, in over two decades I’ve not had a negative experience with Immigration in Thailand… I don’t expect the immi officers on arrival to be overtly welcoming, neither do I expect them to be impolite - simple indifference is the experience & I’m fine with that.

I world like better longevity options & less hoop jumping for long termers… 

Its easier for my Wife to get a British passport than I a Thai passport (impossible for me as I don’t work here).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So you missed the class on statistical sampling.

I do agree though, a handful of expats in Thailand don’t make a representative sample.

Yes, must have. Where is it? And why should I believe it?

What have expats in Thailand got to do with it?

Edited by nauseus
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Yes, must have. Where is it? And why should I believe it?

What have expats in Thailand got to do with it?

Here's a brief introductory link.

https://archive.ph/2vSbE

And you should believe it because virtually all science and major businesses depends on statistics.

Here's a better explanation:

https://www.checkmarket.com/kb/calculate-optimal-sample-size-survey/

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Here's a brief introductory link.

https://archive.ph/2vSbE

And you should believe it because virtually all science and major businesses depends on statistics.

Here's a better explanation:

https://www.checkmarket.com/kb/calculate-optimal-sample-size-survey/

Neither of the above are formal statistical "classes" taught by a respected educational institution and science certainly does not 'depend' on statistics alone. But both are liable to bias (political, economic, or both) or other error.   

Major businesses use statistical data but, judging by some recent expensive losses, if stats have been sought and used to determine marketing strategies, there seems to be plenty of backfiring recently. Perhaps these methods are flawed?

On 11/3/2023 at 9:00 AM, candide said:

Same methodology as previous survey waves which showed a less positive attitude.

BTW, you can check everything about the methodology and data, as It's all open data on their website.

https://www.europeansocialsurvey.org/

For example for UK, here is their sampling methodology.

Sampling procedure

Probability: Multistage

Sampling Frame: Postcode Address File (small users), which is a list of addresses to which the Royal Mail delivers mail, excluding “large users”, which are generally businesses. Sampling Design: A 4-stage design. At the first stage, 391 postcode sectors are selected as PSUs, with probability proportional to number of addresses, within strata formed by 12 regions and using systematic random sampling after sorting within regions by a combination of the Index of Multiple Deprivation (IMD), percentage of households privately renting and percentage of pensioners. At the second stage, 15 addresses are selected by systematic random sampling within each PSU. The third stage applies only at addresses that contain more than one dwelling and consists of a random selection of up to three dwellings. Finally, one person is selected at each dwelling using a Kish grid procedure.

Geographical Unit: North East (England), North West (England), Yorkshire and the Humber, East Midlands (England), West Midlands (England), East of England, London, South East (England), South West (England), Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland

53 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Exactly. Why does this European Social Survey even count? I can't even find the relevant report.

Apparently, the last survey is still not online. I have posted the methodology of the previous survey in UK, which is likely similar.

Let us know if you have some critics about this methodology.

27 minutes ago, candide said:

Apparently, the last survey is still not online. I have posted the methodology of the previous survey in UK, which is likely similar.

Let us know if you have some critics about this methodology.

I already did.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, RayC said:

Exactly what? Your use of the word "Brussels" is (still) very cryptic?

If you are suggesting that the ESS is an EU project then that is incorrect. It's a survey which covers 40 European countries. 

The purpose and objectives of the ESS can be found here https://www.europeansocialsurvey.org/about-ess

No, I'm not suggesting that the ESS is an EU project. But why does is the ESS needed?

I've been to the site - that's where I couldn't find the poll report - useless.

52 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No, I'm not suggesting that the ESS is an EU project.

OK but I guess that your use of the word, "Brussels" will have to remain a mystery to me 

But why does is the ESS needed?

The purpose and objectives of the ESS are detailed in the link which I posted previously.

Whether it is needed/ worthwhile is obviously a matter of opinion.

I've been to the site - that's where I couldn't find the poll report - useless.

Send them a message. Maybe they can send you a copy and/or confirm when the report will be uploaded to the site.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Hard to say without having access to the report.

Then why do you think that the report may be biased and/or the methodology flawed?

The methodology from Round 10 (the last survey in 2020) is available in full on the site. I doubt that it has changed much for the latest round although, of course, that is an assumption.