Long 'under consideration period' after applying for 1-year extension of stay based on 90-day Non Imm O Marriage Visa

A friend of mine applied for a 1-year extension of stay more than 2 weeks before his Permission to stay of his 90-day Non Imm O Marriage Visa would expire (9 Nov). 

The Imm Officer at his KhonKaen Imm Office, accepted his application and told him to come back 30 days later on 8 Dec to get the approval stamp. 

He also told my friend that he was not allowed to leave the country during that under consideration period, and if he made a domestic trip that he could not go to far as he would have to be able to be at home within an 'acceptable' time-frame (not specified) when Immigration would conduct the home-visit.

So the above means that he is kind of home-bound for 7 weeks.

= = =

My questions:

#1 - Is 30 days for the 'come-back' date standard?  I seem to recall that at some offices the under consideration period is only 10-14 days.

#2 - Not being allowed to leave the country and make longer domestic trips while his Permission to stay from the 90-day Non Imm O Marriage Visa had not expired yet (9 Nov), makes it quite inconvenient to apply for the 1-year extension long before its expiry. 

Also I do recall some posts in which applicants that had to make a trip abroad were allowed - after explaining the situation to their Imm Office - to apply almost 2 months early AND leave the country during their 'under consideration'  period. I realize that it will depend on Imm Office leniency, but in my friend's case 70 days home-bound, just to be available within short notice for the Imm Office visit is very long.  

#3 - It seems to me that contacting Immigration during the 'under consideration' period and requesting to make a trip abroad or far away domestic for a specific period, should be possible when reasonable as long as it allows the Imm Office sufficient time to conduct the home visit, before or after that trip.

#4 - What if the home-visit takes place early, say next week.  Would that still imply that he needs to be available at short notice during the remaining weeks before the stamp-collecting date (8 Dec). 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, steve187 said:

married yearly extension  always  have a 30 day under consideration period, i don't see where you are getting the '70 day home bound' from, you would only be stuck near to home, not at home until the home visit is concluded, which is normally a few days after the application, and at most 30 days,

as to travelling out of the country while having an under consideration period, reentering Thailand would require a fresh entry stamp, thereby losing the  yearly extension, and starting from scratch.

what is so important about travelling during that 30 day period once a year, which in reality is only a few days waiting for the home visit.

if the married extension is too troublesome try a different long term solution that is trouble free and immediately issued

~

The 70-day homebound is of course a mistake by me > I meant '7 weeks home-bound' as he applied more than 2.5 week before his Permission to stay expiry date, and his come-back date was put 30 days after that Permission to stay expiry date.

And it is thus much more than 'a few days waiting for the home visit', as the Imm Officer explicitly told him that he could not make any trips abroad during that 7-week period nor any longer domestic trips as he has to be at his home 'within a couple of hours' in case the Imm Office would call him for the home-visit.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

What happens is that the KK Immi Officers will do a home visit - make sure he has a 'witness' ready to talk to them.

They come inside the house as a check that he lives live there, take photos with him/wife/them, and then talk to witness.

That is all bundled, together with his application documents and sent to Bangkok.

Bangkok approve or disapprove and send back to KK who then will give stamp in Passport if approved.

There is an online check system for the Bangkok part - KK should have given him details or maybe not available to them.

That is of course if that is the same system as they did down here.

Maybe KK approve or disapprove themselves - I have no idea.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

~

The 70-day homebound is of course a mistake by me > I meant '7 weeks home-bound' as he applied more than 2.5 week before his Permission to stay expiry date, and his come-back date was put 30 days after that Permission to stay expiry date.

And it is thus much more than 'a few days waiting for the home visit', as the Imm Officer explicitly told him that he could not make any trips abroad during that 7-week period nor any longer domestic trips as he has to be at his home 'within a couple of hours' in case the Imm Office would call him for the home-visit.

You got it wrong. He is "homebound" for 30 days from the application, not 7 weeks. During that time, all checks including the home visit are done, then he gets the 1y renewal stamp and is free to move.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

You got it wrong. He is "homebound" for 30 days from the application, not 7 weeks. During that time, all checks including the home visit are done, then he gets the 1y renewal stamp and is free to move.

That's not what the Imm Officer told him when my friend applied 3 weeks before the Permission to stay expiry.  According to the Imm Officer he is 'home-bound' from date of application till 30 days after Permission to stay expiry date, which in his case is a 7 week period (3 weeks before Permission to stay due date + 30 days for come back-date after that due date)

I am simply repeating what my friend told me, but thanks for response.  

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

~

I went and applied on monday, they rang today to come see us, but we were out so made an anointment for tomorrow wednesday, he could travel abroad during the 7 weeks but he will have to start process again on re-entry, he applied too early, some offices do the 30 day period from the date of application as does mine, but others start the 30 days from expiry of old permission to stay stamp, I think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

The Imm Officer at his KhonKaen Imm Office, accepted his application and told him to come back 30 days later on 8 Dec to get the approval stamp. 

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

#1 - Is 30 days for the 'come-back' date standard?  I seem to recall that at some offices the under consideration period is only 10-14 days.

Yes Most home visits are carried out 7 days after application IME

• Like 1

It seems an unusually long time but I don’t know about Khon Kaen. I applied early like he did and my under consideration period is about 4 weeks (from the date I applied). I thought that was slow!  No warning not to travel once the home visit was done but I wouldn’t go overseas during an under consideration period anyway.  I’m traveling within Thailand in the knowledge that I may have to get back within a day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Until in ends not after sorry if I'm pedantic but the way you have written it it is confusing.

The way you have written it is confusing.

The 30 days under consideration period starts on the day the current permission to stay ends.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

The 30 days under consideration period starts on the day the current permission to stay ends.

Just for info that there is some possible conflicting information here.

You wrote that 'the 30 days under consideration period starts on the day the current permission to stay ends.' 

But @steve187 wrote that 'some offices do the 30 day period from the date of application as does mine, but others start the 30 days from expiry of old permission to stay stamp'. 

> In the latter case - like at my friends KhonKaen Imm Office - it would be inconvient to do your application early, as you need to be available at short notice for the home-visit during the under consideration period (limiting domestic travel to close-by destinations. 

Note: My friend is living far away from BKK, but is starting up a business there, but the required short-notice availability during the under consideration period prevents him from going there as he cannot make it back to his home-address in less than 8 hours.

I am in Khon Kaen and always apply early (1 month or even more).

Gets it done and out of the way plus gives you time in case of any problems.

So yes the under consideration period can be over 2 months.

Not a problem for me.

I have never had a home visit so also not a problem.

Edited by Lite Beer
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Lite Beer said:

I am in Khon Kaen and always apply early (1 month or even more).

Gets it done and out of the way plus gives you time in case of any problems.

So yes the under consideration period can be over 2 months.

Not a problem for me.

Same for me in Cm.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem is not so much the length of the 'under consideration' period, but the fact that you need to be available at short-notice for the possible home-visit, making domestic trips during that period somewhat risky.  Of course one could contact the Imm Office and ask for their permission to be not available for home-visit during a limited period while under consideration.