Leech’s eye for adventure: Thai trekker’s blood-curdling tale

snoop1130

2012-48.jpg

A Thai man shared an eye-opening survival experience when a leech sucked blood from a friend’s eye, along with a warning and recommendation for all trekking enthusiasts.

The Thai man, Apichart Prommathat, shared the story on his Facebook page Der Baag (เดอะแบก) at 9am yesterday, November 6. Apichart began his story with a warning to trekkers to be aware of leeches while trekking.

“Today, I am going to share my personal experience which happens probably only once in 10,000 times or even once in 100,000 times: a leech that gets stuck in your eye. Many people may find this unbelievable but it is true and very frightening.”

Apichart revealed that he was trekking with a friend. The friend put his camera on the ground while looking for a good spot to take a picture. Meanwhile, a leech then climbed over the viewfinder.

The friend then picked up his camera and did not notice the leech as he put the viewfinder to his eye to take a picture of some trees.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via Facebook/ เดอะแบก

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, neeray said:

I have a friend in the Philippines who was doing laundry in the river. A leech attached itself inside of her vagina. Ouch !

Immediately, this came to mind. "Candiru is a tiny Amazonian parasitic catfish reported to swim into urethral and other body openings of unprotected bathers". I think I'll pass on the trekking and Amazon swimming!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Worked a short time in Sri Lanka and had many experiences with leeches.

Walking through bush with long trousers and shoes and socks, when get home in the evening, take off shoes and socks and find many leeches attached to my ankles. Did not feel anything how they got there or attached themselves but they leave a bleeding red welt which takes many weeks to heal.

• Like 1

Only once have I experienced the actions of a leech in the Nam Nao National Park between Chum Phae and Lomsak in Isaan. Whilst walking through a forest area wearing strong walking shoes, socks and long trousers, a leech managed to crawl inside my trouser leg and attach itself to my calf area. I did not see or feel a thing and it wasn't until I sat down after the trek that I noticed my blood stained sock. A park ranger poured a few drops of a liquid onto the leech which immediately detached itself. I had forgotten to tuck my trouser legs into my socks.  

• Like 1