The Energy Ministry crackdown on petrol retailers stockpiling fuel after price cut

webfact

image.jpeg

The Energy Ministry has pledged to take stringent action against oil retailers found to be illegitimately stockpiling fuel. This decision comes in response to complaints about a sudden shortage of oil at petrol stations, following the government’s decision to lower the prices of gasohol 91 and gasohol 95.

On the morning of November 7, petrol stations across the nation began to lower the price of gasohol 91 by 2.5 baht (US$ 0.07) per litre and gasohol 95 by 1 baht (US$ 0.028) per litre. However, within just a few hours of the new pricing scheme taking effect, many petrol stations reportedly ran out of these two types of fuel. This abrupt shortage sparked a wave of complaints to the Ministry, with motorists questioning the speed at which the petrol stations had depleted their gasohol stock.

Pongpol Yodmuangcharoen, the Ministry’s spokesperson, confirmed that officials are conducting a thorough investigation into the matter. This includes probing into possible illegal activities such as fuel hoarding by sellers. “The ministry has tasked officials with closely monitoring gasohol sales at petrol stations across the country,” he said.

by Alex Morgan

Picture courtesy of Somchai Poomlard

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

However, within just a few hours of the new pricing scheme taking effect, many petrol stations reportedly ran out of these two types of fuel. This abrupt shortage sparked a wave of complaints to the Ministry, with motorists questioning the speed at which the petrol stations had depleted their gasohol stock.

Greed.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Ask them to fill the bike with 91 - no have.  Only have 95.

So I drive off to the next gas station.

I don't condone this trick by the station, but wouldn't it cost more for you to go to another gas station than the difference in cost for a motorcycle to fill up 91 vs 95?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

I don't condone this trick by the station, but wouldn't it cost more for you to go to another gas station than the difference in cost for a motorcycle to fill up 91 vs 95?

No, because I never run on empty, and I always top up when I am heading to the main town. More gas stations there.

What a dastardly thing to do: stockpile a commodity to wait for  a price rise

Meanwhile, the gov passes a bill to spend millions (billions?) to.... stockpile rice to wait for a price rise

gotta love this place