Managing forum toxicity and negativity

george

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

True, I can't vote. Why does that prohibit me from expressing an opinion, backed by fact? You think Trump is a threat solely to Americans?

What has Ozimoron and his disappearance got to do with your self-elected status?

Many are only facts to the left. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Keeps said:

Or you could open a new thread regarding the topic you are discussing. It's not often I agree with BN but I do in this instance. This topic is about managing forum toxicity, not US politics. I'm not having a pop, I usually enjoy your posts but in this case they are way off topic.

IIRC, I originally was responding to a poster who decried the mention of you know who. I plead I was led astray, guilty as charged.

I open new threads sparingly, mainly because the useful feedback peters out in a few pages. In the present case, the descent into nonsense would be happening on page one.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

IMO, there should be no block function aside from instant messages. 

If one is so weak they are not able to view critical responses to what they post, they should not post. 

It's only a liar whose feelings are hurt when called a liar. 

But people end up using the f word etc.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

No only about 5%. If you think ranting about Trump belongs on this topic you perhaps you should google what trolling is and educate yourself.

You should educate yourself on the meaning of the term derogatory.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

IIRC, I originally was responding to a poster who decried the mention of you know who. I plead I was led astray, guilty as charged.

I open new threads sparingly, mainly because the useful feedback peters out in a few pages. In the present case, the descent into nonsense would be happening on page one.

At least you admit to trolling. Most don't.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, bignok said:

It's trolling. That's what the topic is about and you are Trump trolling. Plus you are an Aussie and can't vote. Ozimoron was the worst Trump troll and also an Aussie. He disappeared.

I wondered what happened to him but he has disappeared and then reappeared before. I have a memory for that sort of thing. I do find a slight irony that many posters act like they care for the average joe but when one of their fellow posters disappears care factor seems to be zero. Maybe they make contact behind the scenes. Reminds you not to take posts too seriously. Anyone disappears and the conversation continues. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I wondered what happened to him but he has disappeared and then reappeared before. I have a memory for that sort of thing. I do find a slight irony that many posters act like they care for the average joe but when one of their fellow posters disappears care factor seems to be zero. Maybe they make contact behind the scenes. Reminds you not to take posts too seriously. Anyone disappears and the conversation continues. 

He used to rant on 2 topics. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

I couldn't have said it better myself. The people running this website clearly have a political agenda, and anything that goes against that agenda is suppressed. That is  not a formula for success.

I agree 100%.  When/if Trump runs for POTUS again - then we will see how much of a change that George has been able to make. I am not saying any 'side' in that coming debate is right or wrong - but several years ago it was extremely obvious which side of the political divide the Mods on TV were situated. And they were 'exploited' continually by toxic posters who would stir things up and then gang up on and report those on the other side, and Mods behaved extremely unfairly suspending and banning a lot of members. I was one of those banned back then - and many of you know who I am talking about.  No names Charlie - that is understood.   I do not seek retribution - all I ask is no bias from Mods and that in the future the 'toxic trollers and reporters' are the ones who are dealt with harshly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

It certainly doesn't. 

image.png.d89631f7154e8b5cd80803925178eee3.png

Recently, I've left threads, and now leaving this one as my stalkers, who know they're ignored are no doubt replying to me. One even replies to my threads on cryptocurrency despite not owning any! 

Block function please! 

If you are accusing me of stalking you , I have posted ten times in this thread today and just one of those was a reply to you  , I posted nine times replying to other people . 

You made four posts in this thread today and I replied to just one of those posts . 

I have just looked in your cryptocurrency thread and it had just four people posting in it and the last post was in July .

That's hardly stalking , is it 

Edited by Nick Carter icp
  • Like 2

13 pages was too long to read. Read the first 3 or 4, so apologies if any of this has already been covered.

IMHO the only way to moderate is to be firm but fair. That requires a short, unambiguous set of rules. It requires a banned world list that is at least 90% smaller than the one currently in use, and it needs swift, firm action taken on those that break the rules with clear intent. If there is any doubt, a quick, polite DM to the user to clarify their action will more often than not create the kind of mod <> user relationship whereby the users don't want to piss off their "mate".

A mod should be a user just like anyone else. Creating and replying to posts, being part of the community. Being that very user you want to be pally with and that you respect, not because they have the power to take action, but because you'd feel a muppet if they needed to. You have at least 2 of those on here. Most of the others seem somewhat anonymous and I have no idea what makes them tick.

I like the idea of meet ups, if only once a quarter. Get to meet your fellow posters, meet the mods. Form at least something of a real face to face relationship that is far more real than just a name behind a keyboard. Once the teeth are swept up from the floor, those remaining might get on.

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So it's asking a bit much is it to suggest that 'the largest English publications in Thailand' be free of the rampant unchecked anti Thai racism that currently pervades it?

No it is not too much to ask IMO - but that is up to that publication to decide. It is not Asean Now if you did not undersatand that - it is a publication that is not allowed to be referenced or mentioned on this forum.  IMO they encourage that type of behaviour - click baiters for the advertisement money.

Back to my point though - IMO criticism of Thai behaviours and norms is not racism - but abusive racially based attacks are and should be deleted.  How and where that line is drawn can be difficult - because 'feelings' come into the matter. Some people get 'racially offended' far too easily, and some people are seemingly 'immune' to what they say and do not realise they are being racially offensive.  Unfortunately there is no definitive 'this is, this is not' list - we all know the 'N' word is unacceptable - but there are people who take racial offence at any criticism (there is 'industries' built on that ability).

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

I think politics should be on one topic only. Never close it. Let people rant on against each other. Keep it off the rest of the forum. 

That is a good idea.  I believe that the previous 'management' actively seeded the political arguments and abuse by continually posting provocative news headlines - the worst form of click baiting.  Yes - put all political stories in a politics subforum and keep it off the main pages. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That is a good idea.  I believe that the previous 'management' actively seeded the political arguments and abuse by continually posting provocative news headlines - the worst form of click baiting.  Yes - put all political stories in a politics subforum and keep it off the main pages. 

Yes. The other forum was like that too. Ran by lefties. Mods should be impartial like an umpire in sport. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

It certainly doesn't. 

image.png.d89631f7154e8b5cd80803925178eee3.png

Recently, I've left threads, and now leaving this one as my stalkers, who know they're ignored are no doubt replying to me. One even replies to my threads on cryptocurrency despite not owning any! 

Block function please! 

You need to sort out what a stalker is. Just because you block someone does not mean they automatically become a stalker........lol

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1