Pattaya Police Not Enforcing Pedestrain Crosswalk Light Violations

Banana7

32 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

People that can't drive a car without stopping at lights shouldn't have a license, regardless of where they are from. I guess you don't have kids here?

I don't have kids anywhere. Why would you want one? But that's a whole different topic, so back to this one... 

It's called survival of the fittest. If you're not smart enough to cross the road on your own, you shouldn't be allowed to procreate. If you did have offspring and they died like that, it's on you for not teaching them better. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

8 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Yes and why not?  You have the option of stating who the actual driver was. Or should those who commit offences but are not the registered owner be allowed to get away with it?  Think what would happen in those circumstances........no owner would ever admit to driving the car.

If the owner reveals who the driver is, and you'd think they'd know, they don't have a problem.

Tell me, if your kid was killed, wouldn't you want someone prosecuting for it?

Okay, so you say that your sister borrowed it, but then your sister says that someone else was driving it at that time; she lent it to her husband…

• Confused 2

Driving around Pattaya and Jomtien, I was surprised how disciplined Cars and most motorbikes stopped at the pedestrian crossings with red light. Very different to some years ago. However, if nobody is crossing, I do see motorbikes and sometimes Cars too, going wile still red is displayed. 

Not respecting the red light are many Tourists crossing the road, even after the light changed to red for them. They still get safe to the other side of the road, nobody is honking or trying to run them over. Much more patient here then back home. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

You can b*tch and complain about it until the buffalos come home, but the lesson I learned the first week in Chiang Mai after a near miss: As you cross, keep your eyes on all the traffic, especially behind and in-between the cars where motorcycles are most likely to shoot though, at speed, without stopping.

:angry:  "But they are breaking the law!!! Arrggghhh."

But when you get hit by a car, truck, bus, or motorcycle - it's your broken body in the hospital and you'll probably be paying all the bill as half or more will hit and run.  The other 40% will plead poverty and no insurance.  So?  You do what you learned in Kindergarten (or at least my Kindergarten):  Look both ways, look again, and keep scanning for anything moving as you cross.  It's your butt on the line.

:angry:  "But they are breaking the law!!! Arrggghhh."

Whatever!   :thumbsup:

If you get hit by a driver in Thailand with no insurance or a runner, there is a special uninsured drivers fund which can help with hospital bils. You must file a claim within 30 days of the accident. If there is no insurance, the court can order sale of assets, like the motor vehicle, to pay for hospital bills, loss of wages, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

So both Foreigners and Thai people should just accept that the roads are highly dangerous and will never change?

Yep.  After your here for a decade or more, you'll simply accept reality.  Doesn't mean you have to stop being incensed about it.  I still comment on it quite often.  But when I'm on the road, whether in a car, on a motorcycle, or crossing the street - I'm completely focused on my surroundings and in 100% defensive mode.  Expect the unexpected.  What gets you will come for the direction you weren't looking.  That's just freaking reality here. 

:angry: "But it's unfair and against the law!!! Errrrrgggghh!"

Yep - learn to adapt or suffer the consequences.  It does suck.  But it is what it is.  This ain't the West.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Banana7 said:

If you get hit by a driver in Thailand with no insurance or a runner, there is a special uninsured drivers fund which can help with hospital bils. You must file a claim within 30 days of the accident. If there is no insurance, the court can order sale of assets, like the motor vehicle, to pay for hospital bills, loss of wages, etc.

Yeah.  If you are in ICU completely broken racking up a 1,000,000+ and counting hospital bill?  It ain't gonna cover your injuries or rehabilitation.

So, try your best to never get into an accident in the first place.  You gotta be highly vigilant and 100% focused on the road, including 360 degrees around you.  It's difficult. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

If there is no insurance, the court can order sale of assets, like the motor vehicle, to pay for hospital bills, loss of wages, etc.

Of course they can.  But try to collect. 

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Same in Canada as Australia. In Ontario Canada, not stopping at a pedestrian crossing is a fine up to $1,000 plus 4 demerit points, double fines in safety zones, usually located near schools. Serious injury or killing a pedestrian results in huge penalties ($1,000,000+), plus jail time. Not stopping for a school bus results in First offence: Up to $2000 plus 6 demerit points Each following offence: Up to $4000 plus 6 demerit points plus up to 6 months in jail. (CAD1$=26baht)

Thailand is just not serious about protecting pedestrians, especially in school zones, or heavy traffic areas.

Furthermore, you could also be convicted of careless driving, in addition to the above offenses, which can result in the following penalties:

If you endanger other people because of any kind of distraction. This includes distraction caused by both hand-held (e.g., phone) or hands-free (e.g., Bluetooth) devices. If convicted of careless driving, you may receive:

• six demerit points
  • fines up to $2,000 and/or
  • a jail term of six months
  • a licence suspension of up to two years

You could even be charged with dangerous driving – a criminal offence that carries heavier penalties, including jail terms of up to 10 years for causing bodily harm or up to 14 years for causing death.

It is very common for Police to lay multiple charges when an accident occurs, especially involving a pedestrian.

These are real deterrents to bad driving and Thailand should adopt similar penalties.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Some of the dumbest comments I have seen today and there have been some classics. Stupid juvinille, assenine bickering crap, that belongs in the 5 nyear olds forum. Oh, thats right, there isn;t one.

People that can't drive a car without stopping at lights shouldn't have a license, regardless of where they are from. I guess you don't have kids here?