Pattaya Police Not Enforcing Pedestrain Crosswalk Light Violations

Banana7

14 hours ago, gargamon said:

People that can't cross the road without lights shouldn't be allowed out in public, in Thailand at least. If you want that level of enforcement then go back to your home country.

So you are banning pedestrians? 

Troll comment. 

I like Thailand because it's not a nanny state.

As for the part about owner of the car vs who's the actual driver and the police not being able to enforce the law, that's a crock of $%^&. There's cameras on the motorway around Bangkok that snap photos of cars breaking the law and the ticket are mailed to the house,  I know cause my wife has gotten two over the years, and in those photos you can't make out who's driving.   

The police also don't care in Bangkok. They also don't care when all the times, like every few minutes, tens of motorcycles cross big junctions when the light is red for them.

The police could stop them on the spot and collect money right away, but it seems they are too lazy to do it.

I think the main problem is that in Thailand nobody polices the police. They do whatever they want, and nobody does anything about it. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, gargamon said:

People that can't cross the road without lights shouldn't be allowed out in public, in Thailand at least. If you want that level of enforcement then go back to your home country.

What a stupid comment!

There are lots of people, including Thai people, including old people and children, who would like to cross streets without getting injured or killed. 

How is the law wherever you come from? Can vehicles just ignore red lights, and nobody cares? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gargamon said:

I don't have kids anywhere. Why would you want one? But that's a whole different topic, so back to this one... 

It's called survival of the fittest. If you're not smart enough to cross the road on your own, you shouldn't be allowed to procreate. If you did have offspring and they died like that, it's on you for not teaching them better. 

Imagine people would attack you and beat you up for no reason.

And when other people would see that they would laugh at you: Look at that week idiot, he is not strong enough to fight. We don't care about him because he is not fit or at least not as fit as his attackers. 

It seems that is what you want. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, gargamon said:

The most stupid post of the day. People that can't write sensible posts should not be allowed on AN.

Pedestrian crossings with lights should be mandatory in all countries and drivers banned for not stopping when red is showing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gargamon said:

No. Banning incompetent pedestrians. 

Not sure what you mean, there are pedestrian crossings all over the world for such incompetents. Ones that are followed and in good working order. I could not cross 2nd Rd recently, an ankle injury is slowing me down. No break in traffic at weekends.....ironically it was walking on pavements got me the ankle injury. 

23 hours ago, gargamon said:

Yes i think they should get rid of zebra crossings just too dangerous, tourists think they can be relied upon

• Like 2

There's a video somewhere on YouTube that shows cars, including police vehicles, going through the red light at a pedestrian crossing on Beach Road. So bringing the matter to the attention of the police will get you no reaction at all. Except to tell you that finding the driver is too difficult so stop wasting our time.

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes i think they should get rid of zebra crossings just too dangerous, tourists think they can be relied upon

What is being discussed here is light controlled pedestrian crossings, drivers failing to stop at them and the failure of the police to enforce the law that compels them to stop when the lights change to red. It is not about zebra crossings.

You are quoting @gargamon's frankly ridiculous comments regarding people's competence in crossing the road.  He should also take note of the thread's title.  Why anybody should need to be competent to cross the road at a light controlled crossing is beyond me. The fact is that in Thailand, drivers ignore such lights, the law says you must stop when the lights change to red, people are killed or injured and the police have consistently failed to enforce the law.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

What is being discussed here is light controlled pedestrian crossings, drivers failing to stop at them and the failure of the police to enforce the law that compels them to stop when the lights change to red. It is not about zebra crossings.

You are quoting @gargamon's frankly ridiculous comments regarding people's competence in crossing the road.  He should also take note of the thread's title.  Why anybody should need to be competent to cross the road at a light controlled crossing is beyond me. The fact is that in Thailand, drivers ignore such lights, the law says you must stop when the lights change to red, people are killed or injured and the police have consistently failed to enforce the law.

Light controlled crossings should be painted over and taken down, just too dangerous, you aren't in farangland

We often seem to think that Thai drivers are worse than most.  Whilst there is a degree of truth in that - due to lack of training and a driving test that is way too easy to pass, failing to stop at a red light is just another example of selfishness.

In my opinion, selfish driving is behind much of the examples of bad driving in Thailand and is the main factor behind the appalling amount of deaths and injuries on Thai roads.  But, would it be any different in other countries if drivers are allowed to do exactly what they want with little fear of punishment?  I'd suggest not.

Again, its just an opinion but I believe the Thai police are to blame for many of the deaths and injuries on Thai roads.  If they actually enforced the existing laws, there would be far fewer.  For example, they don't seem to find it difficult to put up checkpoints to catch motorcyclists riding without helmets from time to time - strangely around the end of the month.  But even that is not done with any serious road safety reason in mind - the main reason seems to be fund raising.

Enforcement is the key - punish people properly, fine them appropriately, take away their licences in serious cases and they will behave far better.  Charge them 50 baht, which the rider knows is not going into the public purse and let them ride away, still without a helmet - does nothing. That is very apparent just looking at the bikers on the roads every day.

Its corruption, low level maybe but nonetheless, corruption and if you talk to Thai's they will tell you corruption is the main reason they have no respect for the police.

Edited by MangoKorat

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Light controlled crossings should be painted over and taken down, just too dangerous, you aren't in farangland

Then how are people to cross the road safely?  Take the lights down rather than enforce the law.......bizarre!

It is also, nothing about not being in 'farangland', Thai people are sick of the lack of enforcement too.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 minute ago, MangoKorat said:

Then how are people to cross the road safely?  Take the lights down rather than enforce the law.......bizarre!

It is also, nothing about not being in 'farangland', Thai people are sick of the lack of enforcement too.

wait for a gap in traffic, much safer, if you have a disability then you have to find an alternate way to cross, as we know Thailand is not disability friendly

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

wait for a gap in traffic, much safer, if you have a disability then you have to find an alternate way to cross, as we know Thailand is not disability friendly

Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok? How long would you suggest someone waits for a gap?

We all know that things are unlikely to change - that doesn't make it right or remove anyone's ability to raise the issue.  Things certainly won't change if nobody complains.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:02 PM, Banana7 said:

Many times, trying to cross various streets in Pattaya, I use the pedestrian crosswalks, with lights. For vehicle traffic, the light is red, for pedestrians, its green, but many many times, the vehicles don't stop. I have even taking a video showing vehicle license plates and the lights to the Pattaya Police station, showing the violations. They took a copy of the video and said they would inform me of the outcome. But the officer also said, that they have to identify and find the driver of the vehicle, not the owner. It seems the law is written so that the driver gets charged not the owner. It's simple for an owner to say he wasn't driving the vehicle and someone, perhaps a ghost, was driving it. Consequently, the Police eventually give-up the chase because their spending too much time on an incident where there is little benefit. Why can't the vehicle owner be charged?

you are losing your time, better eat a banana split ad relax

10 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

We often seem to think that Thai drivers are worse than most.  Whilst there is a degree of truth in that - due to lack of training and a driving test that is way too easy to pass, failing to stop at a red light is just another example of selfishness.

In my opinion, selfish driving is behind much of the examples of bad driving in Thailand and is the main factor behind the appalling amount of deaths and injuries on Thai roads.  But, would it be any different in other countries if drivers are allowed to do exactly what they want with little fear of punishment?  I'd suggest not.

Again, its just an opinion but I believe the Thai police are to blame for many of the deaths and injuries on Thai roads.  If they actually enforced the existing laws, there would be far fewer.  For example, they don't seem to find it difficult to put up checkpoints to catch motorcyclists riding without helmets from time to time - strangely around the end of the month.  But even that is not done with any serious road safety reason in mind - the main reason seems to be fund raising.

Enforcement is the key - punish people properly, fine them appropriately, take away their licences in serious cases and they will behave far better.  Charge them 50 baht, which the rider knows is not going into the public purse and let them ride away, still without a helmet - does nothing. That is very apparent just looking at the bikers on the roads every day.

Its corruption, low level maybe but nonetheless, corruption and if you talk to Thai's they will tell you its the main reason they have no respect for the police.

Exactly so. I've often said to my wife that the Thai police are indirectly responsible for many thousands of road deaths each year, for the reason you say. Doing the right thing as a matter of integrity, either the police enforcing the law or drivers driving safely even though they might get away with not doing so, does not exist in Thai culture.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Let's also consider normal traffic lights. Thousands of accidents happen at them every year due to drivers also going through at red - hundreds, if not thousands are killed.

Should those lights also be taken out?  Would that make things safer?

22 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Furthermore, you could also be convicted of careless driving, in addition to the above offenses, which can result in the following penalties:

If you endanger other people because of any kind of distraction. This includes distraction caused by both hand-held (e.g., phone) or hands-free (e.g., Bluetooth) devices. If convicted of careless driving, you may receive:

• six demerit points
  • fines up to $2,000 and/or
  • a jail term of six months
  • a licence suspension of up to two years

You could even be charged with dangerous driving – a criminal offence that carries heavier penalties, including jail terms of up to 10 years for causing bodily harm or up to 14 years for causing death.

It is very common for Police to lay multiple charges when an accident occurs, especially involving a pedestrian.

These are real deterrents to bad driving and Thailand should adopt similar penalties.

TIT.  This ain't the West, this is definitely not Canada, and never will be. 
Dragging your Western concept of fairness and judicial sanctions here with examples of Anglo-Saxon-French "This Is How Canada Does It" equates to - zero, zed, nada. 
This Is Thailand. <period>  The police are not adopting Western standards.  Not in my life-time.  Probably not in yours.

And personally.  I'd rather live in this country with a rather lax enforcement model than in Canada with is nascent authoritarian police state where the answer always ends up as throwing citizens into court with heavy fines and prison-time which are disproportional to the misdemeanors.

That is one of the reasons I live here.  To get away from the heavy-handedness of over-zealous policing, so-called justice, and the infernal bureaucratic regulations with their own enforcement nonsensical fines.  I detest nanny-states.

Canada is on one end of the extreme law-and-order authoritarianism spectrum and Thailand is on the other. 
Honestly - Somewhere in the middle is the better approach.

Edited by connda

the main thing to watch out for is one person who stops, so you think it's ok to cross, but somebody passes them and blows the light.

it's a trick. you feel you need to cross when one person stops. whereas, if there was no light at all you're actually safer because you wait for an all clear.

23 hours ago, connda said:

Of course they can.  But try to collect. 

Connda, you posted 3 comments in a row.

3 comments which I, (10 year Thai city & provincial village expat,) totally agree with.

I've driven in (amongst other countries) Shri Lanka & Zimbabwe, both in the 1990's and both very demanding.

Thailand is certainly not "the West". That is why I keep 360 vigillance on the roads, either driving or riding.

Possibly, like you, that is why I enjoy Thailand.🙃🙃

14 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

That's a no brainer : Pedestrian overpasses. Besides waiting for a gap the pedestrian bridges are the only safe crossing. And spare the "people won't use them " line, that's their problem 

On 11/13/2023 at 5:56 PM, gargamon said:

I don't have kids anywhere. Why would you want one? But that's a whole different topic, so back to this one... 

It's called survival of the fittest. If you're not smart enough to cross the road on your own, you shouldn't be allowed to procreate. If you did have offspring and they died like that, it's on you for not teaching them better. 

With your ignorant attitude it's just as well you don't have kids. I'd pity them if you did. But then your selfish attitude might have been changed.

Same in Australia. It comes down to the driver not the owner.

Except that the onus is on the owner to pass the demerit points and find to who was driving.

That's a bit complicated for a Thai I imagine.

Also they would have to do extra work and enforce.

The crossing right in front of the Pattaya station is a shining beacon of the ineffectiveness of Thai police to enforce traffic law.

Nobody must have told them the amount of revenue they are missing out on.

No longer would their police box need to be sponsored by burger king or shark.

Aussie coppers are laughing all the way to the bank

On 11/13/2023 at 4:25 PM, bbi1 said:

Who the hell stops on both sides of the roads when a school bus stops? Only a stupid American thing from what I understand. Nowhere else in the world.

Damn those Americans. Question, how many other countries provide school bus transportation for their students? Not in Thailand, not in Mexico last time I was there, hmm, if fact I have not recall witnessing this in any of the countries I have visited (certainly not the majority of the world's countries).