Is your V.P.N. working in Thailand

superal

Up till the last week or so , my V.P.N. ( Surfshark ) has worked well . However just recently when I try to connect to my account with William Hill ,based in the UK , I am not allowed access as they say I am using a data center and that they must be able to identify the country where I am based in order to be able to see if gambling is allowed in that country. Does anyone else have the same problem ? It appears that UK gambling sites have tightened up on foreign countries access . 

I don't use the gambling sites, but the BBC etc are getting very good at detecting those using a VPN to bypass the geo-locks.

Not really much you can do other than change server and see if that helps.

I use Ivacy, their support people in Singapore are pretty good at providing solutions to get around the geo-locks but, as noted, the sites are getting better. How are Surfshark for support?

For a while I had a VPS (Virtual Private Server) in a Welsh data-centre. It was actually a seed-box but came with a VPN host which didn't appear to trigger the detection, but I stopped using it a couple of years back when I got bored with file-sharing.

• Thanks 1

Yes - but not without small issues. I use Proton.

Many sites do not like users using VPN's.

Lazada being a good example.

I get a page stating that 'we have noticed unusual traffic....' and then I have to play games with up to  20 or mo\ore ''click on squares showing....'

I often give up on Lazada. Very poor website.

Bangkok Airways makes me prove that I am a human - every time, as does Yahoo mail.

Proton always connects me to Thai websites first.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

I get a page stating that 'we have noticed unusual traffic....' and then I have to play games with up to  20 or mo\ore ''click on squares showing....'

Why use a VPN on Lazada when you are in Thailand? 

With NORD, I can select Split Tunnelling and say for which apps or websites I want it to be used.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing that would work and be pretty much undetectable would be if you had a "techy" friend back home who could set up a VPN network to their home router.

They would need a router that allows sharing of its WAN connection with its VPN (our TP-Link TL-ER6020 does, but it's not really a thing that non-geeks would own) and set up a DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service,

Connecting via the above would make you appear to be using their own, domestic, internet connection.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Yes - but not without small issues. I use Proton.

Many sites do not like users using VPN's.

Bangkok Airways makes me prove that I am a human - every time, as does Yahoo mail.

Proton always connects me to Thai websites first.

Agree that Lazada can be a pain in the backside . Only yesterday I was trying to buy on their site , only to be knocked back on their over zealous security system . So I contacted their C/S who told me that using some servers can cause this and instead open their site via emails received on GMAIL . This I did and it worked without any hitches . 

I tried Proton free V.P.N. but was no good for me . 

I have used Nord for about 6 months for exactly the same reason as the OP. When I first started with it I connected to UK and Nord gave me one of their London servers which worked ok, but as time went by I started to get the William Hill message about using a Data Centre. I then had multiple similar issues. I had to keep refreshing the London server location to get the server which William Hill would not detect. I resolved to change my VPN but had subscribed for a year.  At some point about 3 weeks ago I decided to try Nord's server in other cities in UK and eventually landed on Edinburgh. That has been stable since then and now I don't have any issues. How long that will last I don't know but I'm crossing my fingers. To the OP..will Surfshark allow you to select different servers within the UK? If so, try the others until you find one that works. Edinburgh might be a good location for you. Best of luck with that and good luck beating William Hill.

Edited by thoengthaied
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thoengthaied said:

I have used Nord for about 6 months for exactly the same reason as the OP. When I first started with it I connected to UK and Nord gave me one of their London servers which worked ok, but as time went by I started to get the William Hill message about using a Data Centre. I then had multiple similar issues. I had to keep refreshing the London server location to get the server which William Hill would not detect. I resolved to change my VPN but had subscribed for a year.  At some point about 3 weeks ago I decided to try Nord's server in other cities in UK and eventually landed on Edinburgh. That has been stable since then and now I don't have any issues. How long that will last I don't know but I'm crossing my fingers. To the OP..will Surfshark allow you to select different servers within the UK? If so, try the others until you find one that works. Edinburgh might be a good location for you. Best of luck with that and good luck beating William Hill.

Thanks for your input . Surfshark UK options are Edinburgh , Glasgow , London & Manchester . I have tried switching before and that worked but not anymore .

Ways round the non access are for me to message my son in the UK with my bet as he can place the bet on his app . These cyber laws are annoyingly pedantic .

Update = Just cleared the cache and browsing for the last 7 days and then switched from Edinburgh server to London and made the connection to W/H . Now there gonna pay for messing me around :thumbsup: 

VPNs have a pool of IP addresses at each server from which they supply addresses to users. The service providers (BBC,banks,etc) figure out the addresses in the pool and block them all. Changing servers can sometimes alleviate this as the new IP may be in a pool that is not yet blocked. 

I had this issue when I signed up with torguard. When I went to cancel, they provided me a fixed IP, not in the pools, that is only mine. No blocking, and never will. This is normally an extra service with additional fees, but they waived the fees. Not bad for $60 for 3 years all in, with guaranteed renewal at the same price in 3 years. Unlike Nord, which I previously had where the renewal is at full price. 

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I had this issue when I signed up with torguard. When I went to cancel, they provided me a fixed IP, not in the pools, that is only mine. No blocking, and never will. This is normally an extra service with additional fees, but they waived the fees. Not bad for $60 for 3 years all in, with guaranteed renewal at the same price in 3 years. Unlike Nord, which I previously had where the renewal is at full price. 

Good information. I think I'll ask Nord for this option when my subscription is due.

I did have Cyberghost at one time, but it became difficult to use on some occasions, so I canned that and went on to Nord, which was great and worked well for a while, but just occasionally I would get blocked on BBC iPlayer, or it would drop out halfway through a program (I think that's what was causing it) so I decided to look around and finally settled on Smart DNS Proxy, which has been great and now I use it just about all the time. It is not expensive and has a couple more options that can be used if one wishes.

Another poster posted similar positive comments about Smart DNS Proxy and has been very satisfied with it.

• Thanks 1