Border run to Tachileik/Mae Sai ahead of applying for a new marriage visa - viable?

When you would be applying for the 'change of Visa process' from a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry to a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, be aware that there have been reports that the Imm Offices in Chiang-Rai do not provide that service.  

And that they advise to those applying to get a 90-day Non Imm O Visa at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane (!!!).

So better check first with the Imm Office of the district/province where you have your residence in Chiang-Rai province, in order not be turned away. 

38 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

When you would be applying for the 'change of Visa process' from a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry to a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, be aware that there have been reports that the Imm Offices in Chiang-Rai do not provide that service.  

And that they advise to those applying to get a 90-day Non Imm O Visa at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane (!!!).

So better check first with the Imm Office of the district/province where you have your residence in Chiang-Rai province, in order not be turned away. 

I have the 400k baht in my bank ready so could do it as soon as I get back to Chiang Mai, which is where I would apply for the marriage visa.

I thought the Non-O option was exclusive to Savanakhet if I have to go down that route?

The problem of rejecting your application for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa from a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry is only at the Chiang-Rai Imm Office.  There would be no problem doing such application at the Chiang-Mai Imm Office.  Be aware that at the CM Imm Office you need to have at least 21 days left on your Permission to stay at date of application.  So it has to be done in the first week when you return VisaExempt. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Chesterpot said:

I thought the Non-O option was exclusive to Savanakhet if I have to go down that route?

For a single entry Non O visa, Vientiane (with an appointment) is an option. For a multiple entry Non O visa (with financial proof) HCMC is an option though the funds need to be seasoned (probably for at least two months).

11 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

The problem of rejecting your application for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa from a VisaExempt or TouristVisa entry is only at the Chiang-Rai Imm Office.  There would be no problem doing such application at the Chiang-Mai Imm Office.  Be aware that at the CM Imm Office you need to have at least 21 days left on your Permission to stay at date of application.  So it has to be done in the first week when you return VisaExempt. 

Not true he could extend that first 30 day,s with a 30 day extension.Then if he still need,s more time he can apply for a 60 day extension to visit his wife.So in total he can streach that visa exempt entry out for 30+30+60 =120 day,s.No need to rush to the  imm office in the first week.

16 minutes ago, chris carre said:

Not true he could extend that first 30 day,s with a 30 day extension.Then if he still need,s more time he can apply for a 60 day extension to visit his wife.So in total he can streach that visa exempt entry out for 30+30+60 =120 day,s.No need to rush to the  imm office in the first week.

Yes, you can apply first for a one-time extension of 30 days and then for a 60-day extension for reason of visiting your wife.  Every extension costs 1.900,- THB, so it is only worthwhile doing so when you do not have enough time to get hold of all the documents needed for the 90-day Non Imm O Marriage Visa application (which costs 2.000,- THB).  Note that you might also apply for those other temporary extensions first when the timing of your Non Imm O Marriage Visa would not be convenient for you (e.g. the under consideration period during which you need to be available at short notice).

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, teetersb said:

My 90 day Non O ME expires 4 March. I am going to change to a regular Non O because of the Savannakhet requirements, but I forget how many days before the old Visa expires that I can start the new Visa process. 30, 45, 60 days?

~

I presume that you have a 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa (a SingleEntry one is only valid for 90 days, and hence the expiry date of such SE Visa would be before 4 March).

Wity your MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa, you can apply any time before ts expiry for a 1-year extension of stay at your local Imm Office.  Be aware that the first 1-year extension of a Non Imm O Visa must be for the SAME reason (i.e. retirement or marriage) as the original Visa.

And the requirements for such 1-year extension will be applicable, meaning that for an extension for reason of retirement, you would need to provide evidence of having met the financial requirements during the 12 months preceding your application.  For an extension for reason of marriage, you would need to provide evidence of 400.000,- THB on a personal Thai bank-account seasoned at least 2 months at moment of application (I don't know for sure what period would be required in such case when making use of the income method, but presume it will be 3 monthly income transfers of +40.000 THB). 

= = =

Alternatively you could exit Thailand just before expiry of your current ME Non Imm O Visa, and then return VisaExempt which will provide you with a 30-day Permission to stay.  And you could then based on that VisaExempt entry apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local Imm Office.  That needs to be done when you still have at least 15 days left on that 30-day Permission to stay from the VisaExempt entry (note that at ChiangMai they require 21 days left, and in Phuket they require 15 business days).  

= = =

When considering one of those alternatives it is recommended to visit your local Imm Office and ask about their requirements for either the 1-year extension, or the 90-day Non Imm O Visa application.  This because every Thai Imm Office has different requirements and that you would not encounter any surprises when doing the actual application.

• Like 1