What happens if you die in Thailand?

keysersoze276

What happens if you die in Thailand, especially if you have no insurance to transport the body, remains, or ashes back home?

I am particularly interested in if it matters what country you are from and the cause of death.  We are always reading articles about drunk foreigners falling off balconies (I get it.  The last hotel I stayed in had a balcony that I could rest my testicles on if I wanted), motorcycle or other road deaths, suicuide, murder, just natural causes, whatever. 

I’m just always reading about these deaths and they never include a post-mortem plan or follow up, and I giess I shouldn’t expect them to as maybe it is common knowledge that I am ignorant of.  I suppose it is a sensitive subject.   

What if I was to jump off some high balcony with a suicide note?  I am American.  Does it depend on the embassy?

p.s.  I am just curious and in no way implying that I plan to commit suicide or die unexpectedly in any way. 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

What happens if you die in Thailand, especially if you have no insurance to transport the body, remains, or ashes back home?

I am particularly interested in if it matters what country you are from and the cause of death.  We are always reading articles about drunk foreigners falling off balconies (I get it.  The last hotel I stayed in had a balcony that I could rest my testicles on if I wanted), motorcycle or other road deaths, suicuide, murder, just natural causes, whatever. 

I’m just always reading about these deaths and they never include a post-mortem plan or follow up, and I giess I shouldn’t expect them to as maybe it is common knowledge that I am ignorant of.  I suppose it is a sensitive subject.   

What if I was to jump off some high balcony with a suicide note?  I am American.  Does it depend on the embassy?

p.s.  I am just curious and in no way implying that I plan to commit suicide or die unexpectedly in any way. 

It depends if a Farang has "Family-Ties" in Thailand or not. If yes, then it's a "Thai Matter". (What says "the Last Will" of the Farang?)

If not appliccable, Thai Authorities will (gladly) turn over the matter to the relevant Embassy of the Farang.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I guess if you have family either here or in the USA, they will be asked/pressured to handle things. Otherwise, Thai authorities would probably try to pass responsibility to your Embassy. If no family back home (or if they ain't interested), no point in transferring the body

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I have a wife here and a large family back home in USA. My mom wants the remains. What would happen?  Burn me to a crisp and send an urn back home?  I am guessing yes, so is there a legal process that you or anyone knowsnof?  What really happens to foreigners that die in Thailand because there seems to be a good handful according to the news. 

21 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

A few months ago I talked to my mother about death and she wants the creamated remain if she outlives me. I also have a Thai wife here in TH. She probably couldn’t care less. Lol. 
not because she doesn’t love me or anything, but I am feeling maybe this is an attitude of Thais. My uncle is 81 and on his deathbed as we speak. I was crying when my mom sent the message and photos of a priest giving him his last rites. My wife seemed sympathetic for a brief moment and then started an argument for no reason. Maybe she thought I was stupid or weak for shedding a tear.  

I don't know about the legalities, there were quite a few topics about it in the past, though. Nancy (RIP) used to know about that.

Thais often seem to react differently then Westerners to some things. Different culture, different way of handling stuff. Some of it makes sense, some doesn't. Funerals, wakes and such here....not what I expected, but got used to it.

I'd either make things clear with the Mrs. (regarding Mom's wishes), or draw a will. If it's important enough for you, that is.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, keysersoze276 said:

I have a wife here and a large family back home in USA. My mom wants the remains. What would happen?  Burn me to a crisp and send an urn back home?  I am guessing yes, so is there a legal process that you or anyone knowsnof?  What really happens to foreigners that die in Thailand because there seems to be a good handful according to the news. 

Your mum plans on you dying first?

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

Mister even if you are deying i,t we all understand what you are aiming at. So if somebody don't want to bother his relatives with financial or other problems than the best is to disappear. Throw any id away and make a one way into the deep waters. Mister moderator this is not an advise, it is just a think tank.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This is one of those hypothetically questions that no answer would be satisfying, you do your best to leave a will or instructions where in it you give the power and the authority to a family/friend to act on your behalf in all scenarios including unexpected demise and hope for the best...

Edited by ezzra
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

If your family want your ashes back home, you're going to need to make that clear to your Thai wife and pay for it - she may not agree though.  I've said I don't want cremation but I'm pretty sure that will be ignored - not a lot you can do about it when you're dead :laugh:.

As far as I know there's very little your family can do about anything once your Thai wife takes over.  A friend of mine died a few years back and his wife had him created within a couple of days - his family in the UK weren't even given any notice of the funeral.

As has been noted foreign death is a matter for their Embassy to take care of and body will be held until Embassy allows release (and perhaps bills paid).  Embassy will attempt to contact next of kin and provide them contacts to help locally.  If next of kin is Thai body can be released with proof of relationship, but would advise having that information on file with Embassy if possible.

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As has been noted foreign death is a matter for their Embassy to take care of and body will be held until Embassy allows release (and perhaps bills paid).  Embassy will attempt to contact next of kin and provide them contacts to help locally.  If next of kin is Thai body can be released with proof of relationship, but would advise having that information on file with Embassy if possible.

How can we do that, is there a mechanism for providing such details to the embassy?

EDIT TO ADD: Here's the UK Embassy version of events, chapter and verse in detail.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/what-to-do-after-a-british-person-dies-in-thailand

Edited by Mike Lister

13 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

How can we do that, is there a mechanism for providing such details to the embassy?

This is a general registration for US citizens and expect other countries have similar system.

https://step.state.gov/step/

Above is not a requirement in any way but might make things easier and believe some countries even register marriage making it even easier.  Next of kin to release body would be

https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5511.pdf

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

This is a general registration for US citizens and expect other countries have similar system.

https://step.state.gov/step/

Above is not a requirement in any way but might make things easier and believe some countries even register marriage making it even easier.  Next of kin to release body would be

https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds5511.pdf

Thanks. The link I provided earlier explains this process but I'd already asked the question before I found it, thanks anyway.

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

If you die in hospital, only a relative can authorise your remains be removed for cremation and in the mean time, storage fees must be paid. The cause of death mentioned by the hospital will be accepted and no autopsy is required.

That is not what happened when my wife died.

In spite of me being at the hospital as well as her employer (Thai headmaster of the school), the hospital would not release her body until they received the correct document from the British embassy. I contacted the embassy and they were super helpful and they sent the document to the hospital on the same day.

My wife died in her sleep at home. She had always been healthy, energetic and fit. (She was head of kindergarten and ran a class looking after thirty 3-5 year olds.)

The police came to the house to make sure that there were no 'suspicious' circumstances and processed the relative paperwork.

I was told that there would be a delay in releasing the body as an autopsy was needed.

There was a delay, I had to pay storage fees, but there was no autopsy. Eventually I was told that I could collect her body.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

That is not what happened when my wife died.

In spite of me being at the hospital as well as her employer (Thai headmaster of the school), the hospital would not release her body until they received the correct document from the British embassy. I contacted the embassy and they were super helpful and they sent the document to the hospital on the same day.

My wife died in her sleep at home. She had always been healthy, energetic and fit. (She was head of kindergarten and ran a class looking after thirty 3-5 year olds.)

The police came to the house to make sure that there were no 'suspicious' circumstances and processed the relative paperwork.

I was told that there would be a delay in releasing the body as an autopsy was needed.

There was a delay, I had to pay storage fees, but there was no autopsy. Eventually I was told that I could collect her body.

Yes, after I wrote what I did earlier I found the link to the UK Embassy in Bangkok and the government link that sets out exactly what you wrote, I did update my post with that link. 

The only slightly grey area appears to be the need for an autopsy which it seems may vary based on the person and their circumstances.  

I'm  sorry for your loss by the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

A fair amount of misinformation here.  In no particular order:

(1)  Your embassy/consulate will be informed of your death (normally by the cops) and, at least in the case of the US, they'll begin a "next of kin" search (or see a valid Will in English or certified to English) that names an executor here.  Other than that, the embassy/consulate is finished other than getting and cancelling your passport and issuing the appropriate letter authorizing release of your body from the local morgue.  The embassy/consulate isn't paying dime one for any expenses, burial, cremation, whatever.

(2)  Once you croak, you're going to end up in a local morgue.  And your body is not going to be released from there without three things happening: (a) the cops giving the okay (which is quick and easy unless there are suspicious death circumstances), (b) your embassy/consulate issuing its letter as noted above, and (c) somebody paying the hospital/morgue bill.

(3)  For those few where nobody has ever claimed the body under the above circumstances, eventually (after a few months) you'll be cremated with other lost souls.  

Edited by CMBob

How to not bother your family. I will have little things of value, certainly not enough for someone to fly from the US. No Thai relatives. I don't care what happens to my body.  No will. 

So how to avoid any expenses to my US family? 

Edited by AAArdvark

15 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

IME. First you will be sent to Police Forensics in BKK, your death will be reported to your embassy, who will  inform your closest living Relative (who's name should be written in the back of your Passport), the body can not be released until your death has been registered with the Amphur using the death cert. where you are registered as living. You could end up having a Pauper's cremation if no money is available. If you want to be cremated at your local Temple then someone will have to pay for the return of the body. I had a friend who died here, I can only recommend using a funeral service to do all the running around, one of the ones the OZ embassy recommended was Asiaone, very professional, kept good contact throughout Thanks to Jane and her staff. 43k to come to KC register his death, (collected some clothes of his to dress him), back to KC once the body was released and bring the coffin to the temple, My Mrs. B organized the cremation and we paid for that.

Asiaone can also arrange to have remains returned to your country. 

I should add my friend died in hospital from an incurable illness MNS and in his last hours refused any more hospital treatment, but the police insisted he must be sent to BKK for autopsy. 5k with a receipt.

Edited by brianthainess

16 hours ago, keysersoze276 said:

You will be just as dead as in Australia, USA, UK ect