Any whey protein without artificial sweeteners?

Alldar

12 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Hi Jensen,

I'm about to purchase some unflavored protein powder and I'm assuming it's the same one you purchase based on your above info. Maxwell brand? From translating the Thai in Goog. translate, it doesn't seem clear to me that it is produced by ALS labs but rather they have reviewed the protein content., supposedly. I don't know ALS labs or what they do or if they produce protein powder. Hmm, does ALS labs even exist or is it made up? It also could be a translation issue.

The company appears to be a Thai company situated in Khorat.

What the translated Thai text about ALS labs says is this: "Has FDA number 30-1-05363-5-0002 Check protein values from ALS LAB"

Anyway, not picking a fight or anything. Just thought the info might be useful.

Cheers!

You're right, I jumped to the conclusion too fast.

Upon further examination, I see the product was imported from the USA, and it's tested by ALS Labs, probably the bulk product before importing. They don't produce it. 

ALS - Food safety & quality testing

I'm not particularly concerned about the source of whey as the USA is the biggest exporter of whey products and to me, it's all the same. I suppose if you message the Lazada supplier they may give you the name of the producer of the product in the USA.

Here's some info on the US production of whey:

World's Largest Whey Producer

I already used about 100 grams of the pack I received yesterday. The product is as good as any whey I've bought in the past. It has over a 1-year expiry date. WPC has a yellowish tint, whereas WPI is white. WPC gets darker (deeper yellow colour) with age.

I've used a lot of whey in the past. At one point, about 10 years ago I was consuming about 3 kilos a month. Maybe a world record LOL. It might just be coincidental, but I had more energy today than normal, and a very good workout.

Here are some serving suggestions:

1. 300 ml of low-fat milk (2%), 30 grams of WPC, some honey or Equal if you're avoiding sugar, and 2 scoops of instant coffee. That's a total of 33 grams of protein (WPC: 24, milk: 9). It's a good idea to use some milk as you get extra casein protein, which makes the protein even more complete and bioavailable. You could also use lactose-free milk if that's a concern. I make this in a shaker.

2. 300 - 500 ml of low-fat milk (2%), one banana. 30 grams of WPC. Blend together. No sweetener is necessary as the banana provides enough sugar.  

Edited by JensenZ

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

You're right, I jumped to the conclusion too fast.

Upon further examination, I see the product was imported from the USA, and it's tested by ALS Labs, probably the bulk product before importing. They don't produce it. 

ALS - Food safety & quality testing

I'm not particularly concerned about the source of whey as the USA is the biggest exporter of whey products and to me, it's all the same. I suppose if you message the Lazada supplier they may give you the name of the producer of the product in the USA.

Here's some info on the US production of whey:

World's Largest Whey Producer

I already used about 100 grams of the pack I received yesterday. The product is as good as any whey I've bought in the past. It has over a 1-year expiry date. WPC has a yellowish tint, whereas WPI is white. WPC gets darker (deeper yellow colour) with age.

I've used a lot of whey in the past. At one point, about 10 years ago I was consuming about 3 kilos a month. Maybe a world record LOL. It might just be coincidental, but I had more energy today than normal, and a very good workout.

Here are some serving suggestions:

1. 300 ml of low-fat milk (2%), 30 grams of WPC, some honey or Equal if you're avoiding sugar, and 2 scoops of instant coffee. That's a total of 33 grams of protein (WPC: 24, milk: 9). It's a good idea to use some milk as you get extra casein protein, which makes the protein even more complete and bioavailable. You could also use lactose-free milk if that's a concern. I make this in a shaker.

2. 300 - 500 ml of low-fat milk (2%), one banana. 30 grams of WPC. Blend together. No sweetener is necessary as the banana provides enough sugar.  

I'm not a conspiracy guy at all but certainly companies make stuff up. The listing says imported from USA and that it has an FDA registration number...but there is no way to check if that number is real, from what I could understand. And, also, having a registration number does not mean it was tested or approved. Only that a registration number was applied for. On the package, it says manufactured and distributed by Maxwell company in Khorat. Which seems to suggest nothing was imported from USA but made in Thailand. I don't know how one could know if a particular whey protein is good or bad for you just from ingesting it. It might look good and taste good but how much protein is really in it? What contaminants might be in it? I'm kind of going down a rabbit hole here and not trying to knock down your recommendation...I bought some, too. Thinking about it just made me realize how much we take for granted, I guess. Where did this info come from that they import 25kg bags and then break it down into smaller batches? Cheers! Bam.

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

I'm not a conspiracy guy at all but certainly companies make stuff up. The listing says imported from USA and that it has an FDA registration number...but there is no way to check if that number is real, from what I could understand. And, also, having a registration number does not mean it was tested or approved. Only that a registration number was applied for. On the package, it says manufactured and distributed by Maxwell company in Khorat. Which seems to suggest nothing was imported from USA but made in Thailand. I don't know how one could know if a particular whey protein is good or bad for you just from ingesting it. It might look good and taste good but how much protein is really in it? What contaminants might be in it? I'm kind of going down a rabbit hole here and not trying to knock down your recommendation...I bought some, too. Thinking about it just made me realize how much we take for granted, I guess. Where did this info come from that they import 25kg bags and then break it down into smaller batches? Cheers! Bam.

My packet does not say "Maxwell". It is distributed by Food Great Products Ltd, Bangkok. They call it MS. We have a different supplier.

On 11/25/2023 at 5:40 AM, swm59nj said:

You will have to get unflavored.  Any product that is flavored will contain some type of sweetener.  

What is so bad about sweeteners? But being a non drinker, I have never had a weight problem in my life, but I drink 2 or 3 glasses of juice with sweeteners a day and cannot tell the difference between a drink of juice with or without sweeteners.

On 11/26/2023 at 9:19 AM, save the frogs said:

I am not convinced that whey protein is safe, but I don't know enough about it to debate that point.

To claim that it is "superior" to all foods that contain protein .... yes, man in white lab coat thinks he can outsmart God.

Oh wait ... God doesn't exist. 

Powders absorb fast therefore good for exercise. For tv watchers you dont need it.

On 11/24/2023 at 7:11 PM, Sheryl said:

I can't say re locally available brands but I get unsweetened California Gold Nutrition brand on iherb. Delivery is pretty fast (under 2 weeks) and costs a bit less than locally.

I started using this about a month ago to see if it will help with increased muscle stiffness first thing in morning and after car rides etc now that I am older and upon reading this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6073774/

Maybe coincidence but it is better since I added this supplement. 

Interesting, but many  here, myself included, could do with a bit of extra stiffness.

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

What is so bad about sweeteners? But being a non drinker, I have never had a weight problem in my life, but I drink 2 or 3 glasses of juice with sweeteners a day and cannot tell the difference between a drink of juice with or without sweeteners.

I don't have any problem with sweeteners, but I like to add my sweetness to the level I prefer.  

Here's the problem with sweetened (and flavoured) whey protein. They select a standard sweetness (and flavour) for a specific standard serving size to be mixed in a standard volume of liquid. If you want to use more whey or less liquid to mix it with, it will be too sweet (or the flavour too strong), and even the standard level of sweetness (and flavour) for a suggested serving might be too sweet (and/or strong). You might want to add some fruit (blended), which will make it even sweeter.

Another point - at some point, you might get sick of the taste of chocolate or whatever other flavour you've purchased, but you're stuck with it for the whole container.  

With unflavoured, unsweetened whey, you can flavour it and sweeten it any way you wish. It's the only way to go, and cheaper too.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2023 at 11:27 AM, NoshowJones said:

My problem is not with the taste, but many sweeteners turned out to be really unhealthy, more than sugar. Some of them are even potentially carcinogenic. You can find the latest studies online. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alldar said:

My problem is not with the taste, but many sweeteners turned out to be really unhealthy, more than sugar. Some of them are even potentially carcinogenic. You can find the latest studies online. 

I've never been concerned about artificial sweeteners and all the cancer scares. I use Equal, which is Aspartame, made from 2 naturally occurring amino acids. If I'm going to get cancer, it should be coming up shortly as I use a lot of it and have for a long time. Something will eventually be the end of me and I don't stress about it. The stress of all the worry about everything might kill you faster.

An interesting observation from an extensive survey of centenarians... it was discovered that, on average, they were more likely to smoke and drink, less likely to eat well, and less likely to exercise. They have a genetic gift. The rest of us might die a lot younger from CVD, cancer, and several other degenerative diseases.

Lately, I've been mixing my WPC in milk with no flavor or sweetener. It tasted fine.

2 hours ago, Alldar said:

Same here. I'm not drinking the crap for a tasty snack or I'm hankering for chocolate. I don't want or need the fake flavors and fake sugars. Next thing they'll come out with is Captn' Crunch flavor. Hmm, actually I might have to get that one!

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Haven't we already had this debate?

Not sure protein needs to be absorbed fast.

It doesn't matter at all, but after a hard workout I'm too lazy to prepare food, so drinking a protein shake is very convenient. I'll come back a few hours later after the whey has been digested to prepare food.

20 hours ago, JensenZ said:

An interesting observation from an extensive survey of centenarians... it was discovered that, on average, they were more likely to smoke and drink, less likely to eat well, and less likely to exercise. They have a genetic gift. The rest of us might die a lot younger from CVD, cancer, and several other degenerative diseases.

Peter Attia discusses the centenarians in his new book Outlive: The Art and Science of Longevity, among other places.

Their superpower is their ability to resist or delay the onset of chronic disease by one or two or even three decades, while also maintaining relatively good healthspan.

Besides living longer, the centenarians compress morbidity into a short period at the end. Achieving compression of morbidity defies the Sour Grapes or Bedsit Paradigm of ANF Poster Longevity Science:

1.  Sour Grapes or the Bedsit Paradigm (cf. The French Salute)

Live longer, spend more years miserable in the bedsit

Attia points out that medicating to suppress the symptoms of disease, rather than preventing disease in the first place via healthy lifestyle, tends to ensure more years of morbidity--and ironically more years in the bedsit. Few, if any, seem to achieve that ideal short but happy life ending with a smile on one's face during a bonk. Hence all the running after docs, meds, hospitals, surgeries, insurance, paying bills here in this forum. Which somehow doesn't meet our definition of stress. :) Ironically, posters have been known to recommend against getting checkups but instead wait for symptoms of illness before seeing a doc.

It’s this phase shift that we want to emulate. But Medicine 2.0, which is almost solely focused on helping us live longer with disease, is not going to get us there. Its interventions almost always come too late, when disease is already established. We have to look at the other end of the time line, trying to slow or stop diseases before they start. We must focus on delaying the onset rather than extending the duration of disease—and not just one disease but all chronic diseases. Our goal is to live longer without disease.

--Peter Attia, Outlive: The Art and Science of Longevity.

Edited by BigStar
  • Agree 1