Luxembourg family demands justice after fatal road accident

snoop1130

6 hours ago, chrissables said:

But this couple were riding in the correct lane at the correct speed, the car drive is to blame.

Does that make them any less dead? What kind of comment is this? AGAIN. If you don't want to die in a motorbike accident DON'T DRIVE ONE! .. So what if the car driver is to blame? What do you propose to improve driving safety in Thailand? Stop people from driving? The fact remains, very little will change. Driving any motor vehicle in Thailand is very dangerous. Car, Van, Motorbike. Road safety is terrible here. And driving skill is even worse.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, Haveasay said:

Holidaying in Vietnam ATM. Thailand has to be safer than the stupidity of drivers here. Cyclists, motorbike riders or drivers! Been handling my mio in Pattaya 15 years, hired a motorbike a few days, with a few days to go, won't be hiring another day. The honking even more ridiculous!

I have toured Vietnam, three times for months on my motorbike, no issues at all once outside main cities.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Does that make them any less dead? What kind of comment is this? AGAIN. If you don't want to die in a motorbike accident DON'T DRIVE ONE! .. So what if the car driver is to blame? What do you propose to improve driving safety in Thailand? Stop people from driving? The fact remains, very little will change. Driving any motor vehicle in Thailand is very dangerous. Car, Van, Motorbike. Road safety is terrible here. And driving skill is even worse.

Can only speak for Phuket regarding "to improve driving safety". Live here since 2017 and drive a 530cc Scooter on a daily basis - 55'000km to be exact accident free.

As a novel idea I propose the RTP actually be present on the road and enforcing traffic rules. Apart from the very few Checkpoints known to everybody, collecting money from tourists, the whole force is nowhere to be seen, neither day or night. Result: Wild West, mayhem and carnage 24/7. Culminating in cement trucks occupying both lanes in my rear mirror and closing in on the same road (Viset Rd Rawai) where the accident happened while I drive at 100km/h.

TIT

1 hour ago, likerdup1 said:

I was reply to this.......

"Too many foreigner's don't take the dangers of Thailand seriously."

"Drive through Thong Lor area in BKK and watch expats walk side by side on small soi's"

The rider of the motorbike was riding safely and its a terrible thing they got killed. It was not there fault though.

I ride every day and have toured the whole of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and a lot of Lao, so i do have experience riding here, a lot more than you i suggest.

Telling people to not ride is a pitiful response. How do you travel here? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ironmike said:

I want to know why the American embassy is not getting involved nor the US state department if the yanks start making waves then the Thai coppers would have to do something

Because the US embassy is utterly indifferent to troubles its citizens encounter in Thailand. The ambassador is too busy taking photo ops at tourist sites.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ironmike said:

I personally saw the car in the morning and the destruction it caused and speed was the main cause these Russians come here drinking alcohol all night then drive home this Russian woman needs to be put in prison for the rest of here life, I want to know why the American embassy is not getting involved nor the US state department if the yanks start making waves then the Thai coppers would have to do something,, two innocent people minding there own business when Russian rubbish comes along and kills them,,, lock her up

send her to ukraine withthe other murderers

• Like 2

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Arabs street racing Zero action comes to mind, Drunk violent Russians same same. Still allowed to stay here. Maybe just a fine. 

Im saying that tourist from every country you can name dont get police action and it's nothing to do with nationality. It's the chasing the tourist dollar coupled with no police action and no judicial process that in any way is effective. 

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, and a great deal of skill and awareness, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate.

I have been riding bikes for 49 years. Without any serious accidents. A few minor ones over the years. Riding a bike here is very dangerous. If not the highest, one of the highest fatality rates in the world. And an accident here can be very costly, to your person. Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have three friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last several years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. The third one is a close friend, who was hit by a sidecar, and nearly lost his leg. 11 operations later, he can walk, but with a limp, and the leg caused him constant problems, many years later. 

It always astonishes me here how the average person behaves, once you put them behind the wheel of a car or truck, here in Thailand. Most seem quite kind and considerate. Until they get into their cars. Then, all bets are off. When I was growing up and learning to drive, I remember so much of what my lovely mother taught me. She had so much wisdom, and was a very kind and respectful woman. She was constantly emphasizing the need to be courteous to other drivers, and pedestrians. She imparted alot of wisdom. I wonder how many Thais get that kind of coaching and inspiration from their folks.

while I agree with most everything you wrote personally in the south there are far more ignorant and clueless scooter and cycle riders here that cause problems. They pass you from behind on the left while your turning left and same on the right. The drive on the wrong side of the road into on-coming traffic. Split the lanes on multiple lane roads, you name it. I think its something wired into their brains that the have no awareness of anyone around them driving its just their need thats important. Anyone with half a brain needs to be super careful no matter what you drive or where you are. 

11 hours ago, Boycie said:

I Think the video in this article gives a better indication of the speeds of  the car driver

https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/11/05/fatal-collision-in-phuket-two-foreigners-dead-one-injured-after-car-driver-crashes-into-motorcycle/

Edited by vinny41
add

14 hours ago, Dan O said:

while I agree with most everything you wrote personally in the south there are far more ignorant and clueless scooter and cycle riders here that cause problems. They pass you from behind on the left while your turning left and same on the right. The drive on the wrong side of the road into on-coming traffic. Split the lanes on multiple lane roads, you name it. I think its something wired into their brains that the have no awareness of anyone around them driving its just their need thats important. Anyone with half a brain needs to be super careful no matter what you drive or where you are. 

I totally agree, when you're riding a motorbike or a scooter in Thailand you have to be very conscious, and that's the exact opposite of what a lot of these riders seem to be demonstrating. Not only are they seemingly  unaware and unconcerned, many of them seem to be clueless, and what's the most surprising is that many will turn left right or enter the road without even so much as looking in both directions.

So my question is where is the basic instinct for survival? 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I totally agree, when you're riding a motorbike or a scooter in Thailand you have to be very conscious, and that's the exact opposite of what a lot of these riders seem to be demonstrating. Not only are they seemingly  unaware and unconcerned, many of them seem to be clueless, and what's the most surprising is that many will turn left right or enter the road without even so much as looking in both directions.

So my question is where is the basic instinct for survival? 

I don't think they really have one and I'm not joking. It seems there is no forethought or consideration of future occurrences or impact\results. Its about right this second and not what comes after. It seems to carry over into all aspects of life,   just need to make enough money or food to get through today, forgot next week or next month or any plan or obligation made in the future by most. I think that's where their whatever happens is meant to be attitude comes from 

• Like 1

Nowhere else in the world have I seen people consistency take the kinds of chances and risks in the road, that they take here, with their families in the car. Nowhere. When they could have waited four seconds to make the uturn or turn onto the highway, and have a completely clear path, they instead choose to take a tremendous risk. It is beyond comprehension. I see it all the time. My eyes do not lie to me. This rarely ever happens to me in the US.

The vast majority of terrible accidents here are human errors, that could have been avoided. If I decide to cut you off on a highway, when you are going 120kph, and I am making a u-turn, and there was plenty of room behind you for me to make a safe turn, is that an error, if it results in a horrific, fatal accident, and I destroy the lives of you and your family? 

Sometimes an error is wearing white after Labor day in New York City. And sometimes an error is invading Russia in the winter, as the Nazis learned long ago. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Agree 2

On 11/25/2023 at 8:45 AM, ChipButty said:

She was/is a real estate agent with a office in Rawai, the day after the accident somebody  blasted her FB page with the article, she cleared all that out and all of her own photo's, whether she is still operating I dont know, her office is down a soi so I would have to drive down there to see, 

good info ,thanks -so she is not in jail ?  Bail ?   

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I dont know 

23 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

It makes the car driver responsible for their deaths ; is she going to meet justice for her crime?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dan O said:

I don't think they really have one and I'm not joking. It seems there is no forethought or consideration of future occurrences or impact\results. Its about right this second and not what comes after. It seems to carry over into all aspects of life,   just need to make enough money or food to get through today, forgot next week or next month or any plan or obligation made in the future by most. I think that's where their whatever happens is meant to be attitude comes from 

Methinks you doth make much sense.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:58 AM, chrissables said:

But this couple were riding in the correct lane at the correct speed, the car drive is to blame.

Indeed. The young couple were 'dead' right.

Bottom line : don't get on a bike and you won't die on one.

That said, even being within sight of any highway/road/lane/trail here offers multiple opportunities to meet a brutal end.

11 minutes ago, kman90 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Sort by "per 100,000 inhabitants per year", descending order.

The roads are more dangerous in Thailand than in war torn African countries.

It's Mad Max rules.

Thailand also has more tourists.

Yes, the roads are dangerous, but a stat like that is meaningless.

• Confused 2