Luxembourg family demands justice after fatal road accident

snoop1130

Just now, ChipButty said:

That is not a photo from the accident, it says a stock photo

Also, the article speaks of "motorbike". In my parlance, that looks more like what I'd call a "motorcycle".

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, neeray said:

Also, the article speaks of "motorbike". In my parlance, that looks more like what I'd call a "motorcycle".

But not the one in the accident, I saw the one in the accident you couldn't tell what kind of bike it was 

Edited by ChipButty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

It happened November 5th, no follow-up to where the Russian driver is now?  Were drug and alcohol tests administered on her?  Did she do a runner and is back in the Worker's Paradise? 

Seems like reasonable questions for a reporter to seek answers to.

If she had the "FARE" she would have been "DEPORTED"  by now ???

1 hour ago, Iron Tongue said:

It happened November 5th, no follow-up to where the Russian driver is now?  Were drug and alcohol tests administered on her?  Did she do a runner and is back in the Worker's Paradise? 

Seems like reasonable questions for a reporter to seek answers to.

Seems that it would be just as reasonable for you to read the OP's full story where your questions are answered

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

I know it's an unpopular position but I strongly believe that tourists should not be allowed to rent and drive motorcycles.  Period.  Too many accidents, too many tragic deaths like these two.  Yes, it was the Russian's fault, in this case.  Doesn't change the fact that these two young people would likey still be alive had they been prohibited from using motorcycles.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, damo1967 said:

Maybe so.. but can you tell me if that is their helmet I see stapped to the handle-bar?  If they were not wearing helmets, surely they also contributed to their demise.  With that said, RIP :( 

That is not their bike nor does the stock photo have any connection with the accident, as the OP clearly states...as does the European registration plate

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

From the attached article:

"Despite the arrival of Major General Saksira Phueakam, the national Tourist Police Commissioner, in Phuket the next day, no information regarding the accident has been released by the police or local authorities."

This seems very strange, plus there was CCTV footage, that has not been released? Normally isn't it published?

Not if there's been a "special arrangement" made.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

But this couple were riding in the correct lane at the correct speed, the car drive is to blame.

the Russian should be facing charges and if alcohol or drugs are involved then a very severe charge, this country is seriously ###

RIP x2

the damage on that bike is not consistant with a rear end collision 

Edited by smedly

Crazy Accident,

It was harder for her to hit them that not to hit them with the whole rest of the road being completely empty

Also very unlucky to die when being hit from behind.......and both dying. Normally wouldn't happen unless other cars on the road 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, smedly said:

the Russian should be facing charges and if alcohol or drugs are involved then a very severe charge, this country is seriously ###

RIP x2

which bike? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hydraides said:

Crazy Accident,

It was harder for her to hit them that not to hit them with the whole rest of the road being completely empty

Also very unlucky to die when being hit from behind.......and both dying. Normally wouldn't happen unless other cars on the road 

I think she drove them into the electric post, the whole of the area down that main road had no electric for most of the day, from the original CCTV footage you can see sparks flying as it pulled all the cables down, the bike was left there most of the day you could not tell what make of bike it was, a crumpled mess, 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, smedly said:

RIP x2

And this is why (again).

thisiswhy.jpg.26de4f6d54e588c8df8844950c317e02.jpg

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I think she drove them into the electric post, the whole of the area down that main road had no electric for most of the day, from the original CCTV footage you can see sparks flying as it pulled all the cables down, the bike was left there most of the day you could not tell what make of bike it was, a crumpled mess, 

The Thaiger article uses a stock photo of a crashed bike in Latvia and the actual CCTV of the accident has been disappeared.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you like the open air experience, rent a jeep ! 

It's bad enough driving here in a car but motorcycle's forget it .

Most of the drivers here have no idea how to drive properly ! No lane control, no indication , No idea ! 

On top of that drinking , looking at there mobile phones ,  etc recipe for disaster! 

• Like 1

Luxembourg family demands justice after fatal road accident

Dear Luxembourg bereaved. 
You will get "justice."  Just not the type of "justice" that you would expect in a predominately European nation.

For those of us who live here, we know:  This Is Thailand (TIT).  It' ain't Luxembourg, it ain't the EU, it ain't the US - it's Thailand with its own very unique problems with traffic fatalities and injuries, as well as perceived justice and compensation.  The death or injury of a foreigner here isn't like a Thai citizen who is either on Social Security or Thai Government Insurance.  So that paltry amount of 50K in mandatory insurance doesn't need to go to covering hospital expenses. 
That's just the way 'road justice' (and justice in general) works here and it ain't like a first-world country.  Money talks, and many victims of traffic accidents settle for a rather low payout as compared to the West.  Then toss in the circumstances that it was two Europeans killed by a Russian driver?  There isn't even a Thai involved.

I feel for the parents.  Lost my own daughter and only child at 18 to another driver's extreme negligence.  You don't get over it.  Especially when there is no closure or "justice."  My daughter's killer was fined $400. That was "justice" in the United States.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, stix40 said:

If you like the open air experience, rent a jeep ! 

It's bad enough driving here in a car but motorcycle's forget it .

Most of the drivers here have no idea how to drive properly ! No lane control, no indication , No idea ! 

On top of that drinking , looking at there mobile phones ,  etc recipe for disaster! 

Still pissed the following morning, it happened a couple of months ago near me, around 8 am, a truck drove into a bike killed both women and the truck driver was pissed, they were all Thai, what happened after that I dont know, 

4 hours ago, Haveasay said:

Holidaying in Vietnam ATM. Thailand has to be safer than the stupidity of drivers here. Cyclists, motorbike riders or drivers! Been handling my mio in Pattaya 15 years, hired a motorbike a few days, with a few days to go, won't be hiring another day. The honking even more ridiculous!

Have lived in Vietnam, and they are by far the dumbest drivers I have ever seen.

I feel sorry for my Vietnamese friends, the ones that are smart, but the maxim "Show me how you drive, I tell you what kind of moron you are" confirms itself each time!

Thailand is nothing compared to there, which makes me wonder how come Thailand has road death record when Vietnam is even more dangerous.

34 minutes ago, Modern Coding said:

Have lived in Vietnam, and they are by far the dumbest drivers I have ever seen.

I feel sorry for my Vietnamese friends, the ones that are smart, but the maxim "Show me how you drive, I tell you what kind of moron you are" confirms itself each time!

Thailand is nothing compared to there, which makes me wonder how come Thailand has road death record when Vietnam is even more dangerous.

I don't think Vietnam makes shares any data or statistics on their road traffic fatalities and injuries.

47 minutes ago, Modern Coding said:

Thailand actually has more fatalities per head of population. Not by much, but it's three spots ahead of Vietnam in world rankings.