2023 is a year that comes once in a 1000 years

ezzra

9 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

But the earth ended in 2012?

Damn Mayans ... a decade later and still here ... oops

Some more:

... 'Harold Camping has publicly predicted the end of the world as many as 12 times based his interpretations of biblical numerology. In 1992, he published a book, ominously titled 1994?, which predicted the end of the world sometime around that year. Perhaps his most high-profile predication was for May 21, 2011, a date that he calculated to be exactly 7,000 years after the Biblical flood. When that date passed without incident, he declared his math to be off and pushed back the end of the world to October 21, 2011.'

... UFO conspiracy theories, and Taiwanese folk religion. Chen preached that God would appear on U.S. television channel 18 on March 25, 1988, to announce that he would descend to Earth the following week in a physical form identical to Chen. The following year, he prophesized, millions of devil spirits, together with massive flooding, would result in a mass extinction of the human population. Followers could be spared by buying their way aboard spaceships, disguised as clouds, sent to rescue them."  (that one maybe half true, as GOD arrived, was arrested and still in the nut house)

... "Halley’s comet passes by the Earth approximately every 76 years, but the nearness of its approach in 1910 created fear that it would destroy the planet, either by a celestial collision or through the poisonous gasses it was rumoured to contain. A worldwide panic ensued, stoked by the media and such newspaper headlines as “Comet May Kill All Earth Life, Says Scientist.” A group in Oklahoma tried to sacrifice a virgin to ward off impending doom, and bottled air became a hot commodity. The Earth probably did pass through part of the comet’s tail, but with no apparent effect."  (did someone say 'follow the science')

I'm still waiting for those ice caps to melt, wanting to be beachfront of course ... almost 10 years later ... still waiting 🤬

• Thumbs Up 1

Confirmed on the iOS Calendar app. That appears to go on forever.

2023 does not come around once in 1000 years it will be 3023

The earliest the fourth Thursday in November falls is the 22nd

US Thanksgiving holiday would come on the come on November 27th

3023 but I would not count on any humans existing then.

IMG_2978.jpg

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

But the earth ended in 2012?

Depends how you define "end". 

End can mean the end of an era in human history and the beginning of a new era, not the literal end of everything. 

So, even if the Mayans were off by 10 years or so, still pretty impressive, no?

Or maybe it wasn't even the Mayans that were off, but CNN giving us the wrong dates. 

5 hours ago, JayClay said:
On 11/25/2023 at 12:19 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

2023 is a year that comes around once every 2023 years...

No it doesn't. It comes around once and once only.

That's effectively what I said but you decided to crop my comment to misquote my post, completely altering it's context.  Naughty, naughty.  This is what I actually posted...

"2023 is a year that comes around once every 2023 years...after only 1,000 years 2023 hadn't come around yet".

• Confused 2

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's effectively what I said but you decided to crop my comment to misquote my post, completely altering it's context.  Naughty, naughty.  This is what I actually posted...

"2023 is a year that comes around once every 2023 years...after only 1,000 years 2023 hadn't come around yet".

The full quote doesn't change what you said. Even if "after only 1,000 years 2023 hadn't come around yet" actually made sense in the first place, it cannot change the sentence preceding it.

The year 2023 does not come around every 2023 years. It takes 2023 years from the year zero to come around, and then never comes around again.

The only thing that would make your original statement true would be if the year resets to zero after this NYE.

Edited by JayClay
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, novacova said:

This calendar proves that the world isn’t going to end anytime soon 

"In the year 5555 Your arms hangin' limp at your sides Your legs got nothin' to do Some machine's doin' that for you

In the year 6565 You won't need no husband, won't need no wife You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too From the bottom of a long glass tube"

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

"In the year 5555 Your arms hangin' limp at your sides Your legs got nothin' to do Some machine's doin' that for you

In the year 6565 You won't need no husband, won't need no wife You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too From the bottom of a long glass tube"

I remember that information coming out of my little transistor radio way back when 

4 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I suppose we could say twice, if we count 2023 BC, but that's only retrospectively as they would had a different name for it back then.

Not to mention the Thai calendar 2023 happened 543 years ago 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I suppose we could say twice, if we count 2023 BC, but that's only retrospectively as they would had a different name for it back then.

And you'd have needed to have subtracted your age from your year of birth, not added it. So if you were 70 in 2023 BC your birth year would have been 2093 BC.

Edited by bradiston