Thai Airways’ sky high ambitions: Plans for 90 new jets unveiled

webfact

LYNXNPEC0S142_L-768x512.jpg

Thai Airways International PCL is gearing up for a jaw-dropping fleet expansion with a plan to soar with 90 new aircrafts.

In a game-changing move, Thai Airways International PCL is contemplating a colossal boost to its fleet, eyeing a procurement of up to 90 aircraft from aviation giants Airbus SE and Boeing Co.

Sources reveal that Thai Airways are mulling over snagging nearly 40 Boeing 787 Dreamliners and a diverse array of Airbus models. But here’s the plot twist – negotiations with Rolls-Royce Holdings Plc over engines might just be the make or break moment.

The expansion fever doesn’t stop there. Thai Airways has its sights set on up to 80 twin-aisle jets, ready to redefine air travel.

And, in a strategic move, they’re throwing in a dozen narrowbodies leased for Thai Smile, their regional subsidiary.

by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of investing.com

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

But here’s the plot twist – negotiations with Rolls-Royce Holdings Plc over engines might just be the make or break moment.

Oh dear! Perhaps they could buy a Chinese submarine instead.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

In a game-changing move, Thai Airways International PCL is contemplating a colossal boost to its fleet, eyeing a procurement of up to 90 aircraft from aviation giants Airbus SE and Boeing Co.

Buying or leasing?

I all honesty, this isn’t the world worst idea.

If you look at TG (and for now, I’ll include Smile (WE) as it’s going to be rolled into parent mainline TG) while their mainline A320’s are are quite new- the fleet coming over from Smile appear to be all around the 10+/- age range.. not at end of life, but not exactly new either and as we know, there are more efficient models in todays market - not to mention lower MX costs as well.

Ad for TGs mainline long haul goes .. that’s where I really think the idea takes hold.  Their 772s are approaching 18 yrs.. and about half of their 773s are now pushing 10yrs 

So, I can see a solid logic for wanting to do fleet modernization now and replace their long-haul 772/773s and a bulk of their short-haul/domestic fleet A320s… I could ALSO see TG looking to find an aircraft that is more of a MoM (Middle of Market) that can be deployed on routes to cities in AU/NZ/CN/IN and such, that perhaps don’t need fleet type with extensive range (like a 778/9 or A359) but yet also don’t give up massively on the payload either.. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’d be surprised if any lessors would be interested in doing a deal until TG are officially out of their financial rehabilitation negotiations. Plus, four of their A380s (plus other types I’m sure) are leased, and haven’t been returned.