Bangkok Phuket Hospital.....Excellent and some.

xylophone

I agree that all the BKK Group hospitals are first class. However they charge 5 star prices fully loaded. We have always had heath insurance to pay all the inpatient bills. My last procedure just in September I was shocked to see the final price when i signed the paper work. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Xylophone

Happy your friend is doing ok for now and hope he recovers to enjoythe rest of his life.

You sound like a very good friend to him

I must also add that I am a regular patient of BPH for the last 8 years. I’ve had 2 heart attacks

and one motorcycle accident since living in Thailand. I’m. Very blessed to have survived all three incidents

and very grateful for all the medical attention I have had.

I see my heart doctor every 4 months for my checkup now to make sure all is good with me.

Good luck with your friend and hope he comes out of this on the bright side.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chefgno said:

Xylophone

Happy your friend is doing ok for now and hope he recovers to enjoythe rest of his life.

You sound like a very good friend to him

I must also add that I am a regular patient of BPH for the last 8 years. I’ve had 2 heart attacks

and one motorcycle accident since living in Thailand. I’m. Very blessed to have survived all three incidents

and very grateful for all the medical attention I have had.

I see my heart doctor every 4 months for my checkup now to make sure all is good with me.

Good luck with your friend and hope he comes out of this on the bright side.

Thank you for your kind comments and I wish you all the very best for the future.

If you recall, was the stroke caused by a blood clot that broke free or a chunk of calcium broken off of the plaque on the artery walls? Blood thinners are one preventative method for blood clots caused by afib. Apparently low dose aspirin will help with the broken off plaque. 

4 hours ago, gargamon said:

If you recall, was the stroke caused by a blood clot that broke free or a chunk of calcium broken off of the plaque on the artery walls? Blood thinners are one preventative method for blood clots caused by afib. Apparently low dose aspirin will help with the broken off plaque. 

Sorry I can't answer your question reliably because I didn't ask the neurosurgeon, although thinking about it I did see something that looked like a piece of plaque in the artery which was blocked??? 

My friend has been on blood thinners for quite some time and has a pacemaker fitted, and to be honest it all doesn't look very well at all, even before this episode, because his legs, arms and hands were dark blue where he was bleeding under the skin from the capillaries by the looks of things.

I have just spoken to his wife today and he has had the intubation tube removed, so things are progressing, albeit slowly and I will know more when I probably go to visit him tomorrow.

Thank you for your concern and the information.

47 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Good that things are looking a bit better. Always a good sign.

If they had a pic of the blockage, if it was calcium it would be a fairly bright white. 

Thinking about it.........I believe you are right as I did see a bright white "something" in the artery on the scan.

23 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I agree that all the BKK Group hospitals are first class. However they charge 5 star prices fully loaded. We have always had heath insurance to pay all the inpatient bills. My last procedure just in September I was shocked to see the final price when i signed the paper work. 

Totally agree.

My new eyes were just over 200,000 baht. Expensive, but to me, worth it.

I self insure and I have a pink id card. Lived in Thailand permanently for 23 years.

At all other Bangkok Hospitals I get a discount. Not in Phuket.

A friend who lives in Phuket had the same procedure for 140,000 baht.

Having said all of that, I am still very happy with my new 'eyes'.

It is a well known fact that hospitals bump up the charges significantly when dealing with insurance companies.

Here on Samui, another friend could not get insurance if he used Bangkok Hospital Samui. If he used other hospitals here - no problem.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes , the Bangkok Pattaya hospital definitely saved my life where our local hospital in Bangkok dropped the ball and left me at deaths door.

I just managed to drive to Pattaya as I was expecting  to die and had good friends  there who would help my wife in her hour of need.

The BPH got straight to it and pulled me back from the brink. They even made a video of my case as it was so rare.

It's a pity that they had to pad the bill when I checked out. I had paid for everything ever day and never went to sleep without being paid up. Nonetheless, the next morning  they presented me with a final bill of some 30,000 baht ?

I asked for a breakdown of how they arrived at this amount which threw the cat amongst the pigeons. 30 minutes later they gave me the breakdown with inflated prices for the most trivial of things. I was still too weak to argue so left it at that.

In the balance , they definitely  saved my bacon and all the medical staff were top notch so no complaints. In fact my bed baths by two pretty nurses handling my wedding tackle under the wife's supervision was probably worth 30,000.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

I will second the OP's opinion of BPH. In the 11 years I resided in Phuket went there:

-Motorbike accident about ended up under a car, they cleaned me up, wrapped me like a mummy and I was back partying with friends 3 hours later. Ankle bone showing and when they scrubbed that, well, glad I had some beers under my belt.

-Kidney stones. Showed up frothing white foam, thought something inside me was going to burst, first guy who saw me diagnosed it, stayed the night, was fine next day.

-Laparoscopic hernia surgery. Purple egg sticking out below my beltline, doc said I was lucky I didn't burst it diving on the volleyball court. They went through my belly button, meshed me up, back on the VB court 6 weeks later.

-Dental implant. Spaghetti bolognese at a local restaurant Rawai, meat sauce had mini bones in it, anvil split two of my teeth. One in my front grill, so had the implant procedure, could not have gone better.

Sorry to hear about your friend OP, hope he recovers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Patong2 said:

Sad about your friend Xylophone, but it sounds like a life well lived.

Just add a note about the excellent care at Bangkok Phuket Hospital that I received.

I was admitted on Jan 1st and spent 3 days there with an infection. 

Very painful and high fever. Immediately saw a doctor, had an ultrasound and was put on a drip within a couple of hours and admitted. Excellent care and very attentive nurses who seemed very competent. Had to go back for an IV each day and then antibiotics and now feel excellent.

The standard of care I received matched and in some ways exceeded the care I received in a New Zealand private hospital.

I have to fly back to NZ tomorrow so I wanted whatever was wrong fixed quickly and they certainly did that.

Reassuring to stay here and know excellent health care is at hand if needed.

Thanks Patong2 and have a good and safe flight back to NZ tomorrow. All the best. Xylo

• Thanks 1

I've been told that Phuket Doctors are Mediocre and that Bangkok is the place to go, I've been to Phuket Bangkok Hospital, yes its expensive, I thought the Doctor was very professional, its not nice someone saying that you have wasted alot of money by attending a Hospital that has Mediocre Doctors in it, apparently I could have saved alot of money had I gone to Bangkok.

I suppose Everyone has there own opinion.

Edited by Badrabbit

18 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well I can't fault the care that was given to my old friend at Bangkok Phuket Hospital, and personally I've had "mixed experiences" there, and that is why I visited Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok when my bladder stopped working, because nobody seemed to know why, and anyway Sheryl on this forum, recommended Dr Charuspong at Bumrungrad so I thought I'd give him a try, and was very pleased that I did (thank you Sheryl).

I had a very thorough going over with tubes and wires going into just about every orifice, before being hooked up to a computer for about an hour, and the result after meeting with the doctor (actually he is a urologist) was that I have a neurogenic bladder and there's not much that can be done about it, apart from clean intermittent catheterisation, done by yours truly, which is what I have been doing now for over a year, and getting by I may add.

However I did some investigation and found that a company called Medtronic in the USA makes a small device, similar to a pacemaker, which fits under the skin and the wire from it runs close to the sacral nerve, and it stimulates the nerve to work, thereby making the bladder contract, so it would/should make my bladder work again.

However, having got no satisfaction from the company themselves or any other hospital here, I did contact Dr Charuspong and he has just this morning contacted me by telephone (how brilliant is that in today's world) and explained the process to me and why it is not available in Thailand.

I won't go into the explicit details, but a first unit has to be inserted to see if it will work, then it is removed and the second one inserted, and this preliminary work takes about a week to 10 days, furthermore the whole thing will cost something like 700,000 baht, and it's not even sure that it works efficiently anyway, so he has answered my questions.

Back on topic I suppose there will be good and not so good doctors in many hospitals around the world, but going back to the original topic the care that my old friend received at Bangkok Phuket Hospital was excellent.

You are right in everything there is good and bad, everyone has an opinion which I have no problem with.

Unfortunately my Insurance does not cover Bumrangrad Hospital, I'm okay with Bangkok Phuket Hospital and the other Hospital's here apart from Vachira, I hope I never have to go there again, it was a nightmare visit.

Edited by Badrabbit
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately we can compare with our NZ experience.

Bangkok Phuket Hospital was excellent for my 2 nights in January.

My wife just attended a top private hospital in Auckland NZ, Mercy Ascot, and being a clean freak she thought the Bangkok Hospital was a better standard of cleanliness. To be fair, Mercy Ascot is an old hospital and there are wide staff shortages in NZ.

• Like 1