Thai man on wild hunt for lost lottery ticket after jackpot surprise months later

snoop1130

018392186019.jpg

A Thai man embarked on a frantic search for a lost Thai lottery ticket after belatedly discovering he’d scooped one of the top prizes some nine months after the draw was made.

The lottery winner, 29 year old Yotsakorn Sangteerathiti, revealed to Channel 3 that he bought a government lottery ticket for the upcoming draw tomorrow, via the Pao Tang application, on November 27. Upon accessing the app, it promptly notified him that he had secured the fifth lottery prize amounting to 20,000 baht on February 16 of this year. The ticket number in question was 441788.

The Pao Tang application used to offer a lottery ticket storage feature which allowed users who bought physical tickets from each shop to save their tickets electronically online in case they lost their hard copy. Users only needed to scan a QR code on the physical ticket, and it would appear on the application.

However, the feature had been removed. People who bought physical tickets had to keep them safe in order to claim the prize if they won. If not, they were unable to claim the prize.

Yotsakorn explained that he bought the winning lottery ticket in February when the application feature was still available. The winning lottery ticket was shown in the application but now he can’t claim the money because he lost his ticket.

By Petch Petpailin

Caption: Photo via Channel 3

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-11-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, gomangosteen said:

and judging by many posts on this forum, about the same for a few pensioners here too.

Strange process for the lottery, presume he had to prove identity, password etc to log-in, once the system has confirmed it's him, told he's won a prize but can't claim it. Great use of technology.

He didn't buy the ticket through the app.  I suppose you could go around and scan your other family members and friends tickets to put them in the system and claim they were yours later if they allowed you to claim a prize without the actual ticket.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Which is probably why the feature has been removed. They obviously didn't think it through very well.

"Didn't think it through very well", is that really anything new in LOS, plus the word "think" should never be used in anything to do with Thai government policy. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

I did euro lottery last April on a Friday, women gave me a funny luck and said well you never know as she gave me the ticket. I had been in on the Tuesday and almost did an entry then. When I checked the next week online the numbers came up flashing win of 104 million, and not baht. I had got the numbers right, but for the Tues when nobody had won, and I had not seen the numbers anywhere before I did it. Mrs was not amused as it was over 4000 million baht, never do it again. I looked up near misses, one couple were paying by direct debit every month, their numbers came up on 180 million. But the entry had not gone through that month as not enough in the bank balance! 

Thai lottery is about the same cost as Euro millions so must be one of the worst value lotteries in the world with what you can win, 20k baht lol.

Edited by proton
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Further evidence that the Thai Lottery is a fix & only the rich are allowed to win (+ the occasional poor person to keep them playing.)

How is it fixed? Have you ever watched the draw on tv? It's on today around 2pm

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Further evidence that the Thai Lottery is a fix & only the rich are allowed to win (+ the occasional poor person to keep them playing.)

Where is all that 'further evidence' you allude to? In fact where is there ANY evidence? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Trippy said:
39 minutes ago, mikebell said:

35 minutes ago, Trippy said:

How is it fixed? Have you ever watched the draw on tv? It's on today around 2pm

They use standard tamper proof methods, in line with many lotteries worldwide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

and judging by many posts on this forum, about the same for a few pensioners here too.

Strange process for the lottery, presume he had to prove identity, password etc to log-in, once the system has confirmed it's him, told he's won a prize but can't claim it. Great use of technology.

Thailand 0.04.