Nearly 100,000 Gaza buildings may be damaged, satellite images show

CharlieH

image.png

New satellite images commissioned by the BBC reveal the extent of destruction across northern Gaza, before the start of the temporary ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

The satellite images were taken last Thursday, just before the suspension of hostilities came into force, following weeks of Israeli air strikes and on-the-ground fighting. Separate satellite data analysis also provides a snapshot of the destruction across the whole of Gaza.

Drone footage and verified video also show buildings and entire neighbourhoods reduced to rubble. While northern Gaza has been the focus of the Israeli ground offensive and has borne the brunt of the destruction, widespread damage extends across the entire strip.

image.png

Israel says northern Gaza, which includes the major urban centre of Gaza City, was a "centre of gravity of Hamas", the group behind the deadly 7 October attacks on Israel. Israel says its bombing campaign has successfully targeted Hamas commanders and fighters and accuses the group of embedding itself in civilian areas.

Satellite data analysis suggests that almost 98,000 buildings across the whole Gaza Strip may have suffered damage, with most of it concentrated in the north - as shown in the above map.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Thanks 1

Looking at the maps on the full article linked, seems like the 'humanitarian zone' is actually pretty safe, as such things go. Earlier allegations by some posters (echoing Palestinian propaganda) claimed otherwise.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What 'ethnic cleansing'? The one you imagine? Doesn't count.

That's just AJ nonsense, and as often happens, your post does not actually address what I posted.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Morch said:

What 'ethnic cleansing'? The one you imagine? Doesn't count.

That's just AJ nonsense, and as often happens, your post does not actually address what I posted.

Quote from source :

https://www.un.org/en/genocideprevention/ethnic-cleansing.shtml

The Commission of Experts also stated that the coercive practices used to remove the civilian population can include: murder, torture, arbitrary arrest and detention, extrajudicial executions, rape and sexual assaults, severe physical injury to civilians, confinement of civilian population in ghetto areas, forcible removal, displacement and deportation of civilian population, deliberate military attacks or threats of attacks on civilians and civilian areas, use of civilians as human shields, destruction of property, robbery of personal property, attacks on hospitals, medical personnel, and locations with the Red Cross/Red Crescent emblem, among others.

The Commission of Experts added that these practices can “… constitute crimes against humanity and can be assimilated to specific war crimes. Furthermore, such acts could also fall within the meaning of the Genocide Convention.”

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

AJ nonsense? AJ is a well-respected news source worldwide, get over your Arabphobia.

AJ is a media outlet owned and controlled by Qatar. Most people with less bias and more sense, exercise care when relying on their reports on some issues (such as the current one). Considering Qatar plays host to Hamas leadership, that seems reasonable. And I probably have more Arab friends than you'll ever have, troll.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

She's not an expert. She's a political appointment. To date, almost all UN Special Rapporteurs related to the situations were of the same one-sided mold. Guess it's q requisite when the recommendation and appointment rely on the vote of obvious suspects.

• Like 1

AJ nonsense? AJ is a well-respected news source worldwide, get over your Arabphobia.

AJ is very biased in some stories and doesn't give a balanced view on the Israel/ Arab conflict , it doies suppress the truth and write untrue things at times .

A.J live streamed the Hamas rocket misfiring and hitting a hospital , live streamed it actually happening  and they still claimed that it was a IDF that bombed that hospital 

Arabphobia?
the whole world is suffering from Stockholme Syndrome and your worried about a touch of that?

twitter_3aed0b97f71c3e259ec5536b2d4c7946.jpeg

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Morch said:

She's not an expert. She's a political appointment. To date, almost all UN Special Rapporteurs related to the situations were of the same one-sided mold. Guess it's q requisite when the recommendation and appointment rely on the vote of obvious suspects.

You are really something.  Which human rights organization do you think are valid?

I know you think you are more of an expert but really, come on.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/special-procedures/sr-palestine/francesca-albanese

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even Israeli human rights organiztions say Israel are committing war crimes

Since the war began, Israel has blatantly disregarded its obligation to distinguish between civilians and combatants and is committing war crimes. In these circumstances, renewing the hostilities will almost certainly endanger the lives of civilians on an inconceivable scale, as Israel has proven it is not fighting against Hamas but against the entire population of Gaza

https://www.btselem.org/ota

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You are really something.  Which human rights organization do you think are valid?

I know you think you are more of an expert but really, come on.

https://www.ohchr.org/en/special-procedures/sr-palestine/francesca-albanese

It is a fact that almost all of the relevant special rapporteurs held one-sided views. It is also not surprising given the pool from which candidates are selected, and the nature of the selection process. Pretending there is no inherent bias involved is a choice. 

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Even Israeli human rights organiztions say Israel are committing war crimes

Since the war began, Israel has blatantly disregarded its obligation to distinguish between civilians and combatants and is committing war crimes. In these circumstances, renewing the hostilities will almost certainly endanger the lives of civilians on an inconceivable scale, as Israel has proven it is not fighting against Hamas but against the entire population of Gaza

https://www.btselem.org/ota

Yes dear. It may come as a surprise to you, but there's a whole range of views in Israel. And a relative freedom to express them. This is nothing new, unless one is clueless, or trolling. Given it's been like that for decades now, it would be more interesting if you could mention some similar Palestinian organizations acknowledging Palestinian violations, and acting to publish and counter them.

Just now, Morch said:

It is a fact that almost all of the relevant special rapporteurs held one-sided views. It is also not surprising given the pool from which candidates are selected, and the nature of the selection process. Pretending there is no inherent bias involved is a choice. 

Your incredible bias is crystal clear. These are experts on Human Rights working for the UN!!!!!!

Your support of Israel is bizarre, especially after you said you are not religious.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

Your incredible bias is crystal clear. These are experts on Human Rights working for the UN!!!!!!

Your support of Israel is bizarre, especially after you said you are not religious.

Let me spell it out for you. People who specialize in human rights studies, activism and work are often of the same mettle, opinions, and views. There is also a certain amount of group-think and peer-pressure involved. So when candidates are considered for such posts, they are the product of pretty much the same environment, perceptions, political stance and so on. This in turn makes their views and take on things similar as well. Not too complicated, really.

As for 'working for the UN', you got to be kidding. Working for the UN is a nice gig, it is not a hallmark of righteousness.

I've no idea why you think holding religious beliefs is tied to supporting any of this. By the same account - does your support of the Hamas indicate that you're a Muslim? No once claimed that, I think. But do go on about 'bizarre'.....

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Morch said:

I've no idea why you think holding religious beliefs is tied to supporting any of this. By the same account - does your support of the Hamas indicate that you're a Muslim? No once claimed that, I think. But do go on about 'bizarre'.....

I assumed you were Jewish, which obviosuly would explain your support/denial of Israel's war crimes/Apartheid/ethnic cleansing.

I have never once said that I support Hamas, which I done -  stop trolling.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I assumed you were Jewish, which obviosuly would explain your support/denial of Israel's war crimes/Apartheid/ethnic cleansing.

You have just posted a link to an Israeli based human rights organization often siding with the Palestinians. I would assume most of the Israelis involved are Jewish as well. Did you have a point?

I did not support the things you claim - as i do not agree with most of your claims. I also do not engage in the wholesale denial you imply. You are either incapable of understanding posts made or bent on misrepresenting views stated. Many of your posts on here are lame attempts to minimize Hamas actions, agenda and so on. The rest are non-stop anti-Israeli comments, most of it nonsense. So yeah, it would be easy to 'mistake' you for a Hamas cheerleader.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 300sd said:

Nearly 100,000 Gaza buildings may be damaged, satellite images show

Well there is a war going on. I'm surprised that Gaza is still there! On Oct. 7 they broke the camels back. What did they expect?

coming soon ,,,  like it or not

image.thumb.png.00b978b59c31a56fd7fd39a9ea18e042.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, Stargeezr said:

How has Hamas been able to get so much arms, and missles etc? 

Those tunnels took a lot of time and money to duig and equip, where did that money come from?

If Palestine gets rid of Hamas after this situation is over, that may lead to peace in the future.

IMO, Hamas and its attack on Israel soil was the start and cause of this conflict.

I hope the rest of the hostages do get released as well. 

Sooooo, nothing to do with 30 years of illegal occupation, land theft, oppression and collective punishment then?

Hamas fighters just woke up one morning and said to themselves "it's a good day to go kill some israelis and get bombed to <deleted> in response" did they?

• Confused 1

On 12/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, Stargeezr said:

I hope the rest of the hostages do get released as well. 

If they survive the latest onslaught instead of getting blown to bits by israeli and American bombs, their only hope, IMO, is that they get exchanged for more than 30 Palestinians. I think that particular horse got blown up in an israeli air strike along with a few hundred children.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Confused 1

On 12/1/2023 at 10:05 PM, Neeranam said:

Personal insults seem to be all they have, as they can't defend the indefensible. Six thousand dead children ( and many, many more injured ) is rather a high barrier to convincing anyone that it's all to protect israel against the Hamas ( non existent ) army, with their ( non existent ) tanks, self propelled guns and APCs that will surely be invading Tel Aviv and driving the entire Jewish population of israel into the sea.

• Love It 2