New passaport while in overstay

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Absolutely not 

New pp will do nothing apart from extend his overstay an possibly move into ban. 

believe what you want.  i am friends with an agent in BKK, we meet a couple times a month for dinner/beer.  his favorite work is clearing overstays.  it pays well. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A new passport can be applied for - If the question is whether or not the overstay will be reported - that could be on a case by case basis. 

The underlying implication of the Op is that with a new passport, the overstay cannot be identified (as there is no longer an entry stamp in the replaced passport)...   This thinking is fundamentally flawed. 

First question 

Where is entry stamp

Second. Question

Where's old passport with entry stamp 

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:
23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A new passport can be applied for - If the question is whether or not the overstay will be reported - that could be on a case by case basis. 

The underlying implication of the Op is that with a new passport, the overstay cannot be identified (as there is no longer an entry stamp in the replaced passport)...   This thinking is fundamentally flawed. 

First question 

Where is entry stamp

Second. Question

Where's old passport with entry stamp 

He could claim loss of passport to obtain a new one... But that is pointless as his entry details will still be logged in the Immigration system and the overstay will still be identified (new passport easily linked to old one with biometrics).

People have mentioned using an agent to get rid of the overstay... Or, to please the resident pedant,  use an agent with connections to a corrupt immigration officer whose position allows them to 'edit' the immigration records...

As already asked - which agents can do this ?  - It seems 'buick' is friends with an agent in BKK who can clear overstays but is somewhat cryptic with his response....  

Out of curiosity @buick...  What does an agent charge for clearing overstay and how guaranteed is the process ?

18 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

That doesn't work because if on overstay they detain at the airport lol.

SO ensure you have the funds to book a second flight, lawyer representation and other things for when you are detained, charged, miss flight, court, detention, then deportation on a Thai Airways flight later.

You clearly have never been in this position. If you can pay the fine at the airport you don't get detained. No need for second flights, lawyers or any of the other rubbish you mentioned.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 1:16 PM, Mika78 said:

Can someone who is in overstay situation,  go to their Embassy and make a new  passport? Or the Embassy doesn't release him due to overstay. PS: before anyone wonders or asks me, I'm not the one who's overstayed. Thank you,

If the person is a UK passport holder it can't be done at the Embassy in Bangkok anyway. 

On 12/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, richard_smith237 said:

He could claim loss of passport to obtain a new one... But that is pointless as his entry details will still be logged in the Immigration system and the overstay will still be identified (new passport easily linked to old one with biometrics).

People have mentioned using an agent to get rid of the overstay... Or, to please the resident pedant,  use an agent with connections to a corrupt immigration officer whose position allows them to 'edit' the immigration records...

As already asked - which agents can do this ?  - It seems 'buick' is friends with an agent in BKK who can clear overstays but is somewhat cryptic with his response....  

Out of curiosity @buick...  What does an agent charge for clearing overstay and how guaranteed is the process ?

The other question that needs to be asked is are the imm officers in the area he has to report in going to be willing to stick their necks out  Guarnatee the fee is in the hundreds of thousands

On 12/1/2023 at 2:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

True, with no entry stamp in your passport you will not be allowed to leave until they investigate why, then your overstay will come to light, or they could just decide to ban you for life for entering the country illegally.

On 12/1/2023 at 2:04 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

You have to take the new passport to Thai immigration and they transfer the current visa from the old to new passport , so getting a new passport wouldn't make any difference 

There is no requirement to go to immigration, it is a convenience, most people get the information transferred, they are often asked to contribute to the staff tea fund.

A Visa is never transferred.

If you go to immigration they will make notes regarding your current permission to stay in your new passport, that includes which class of entry was used to get the permission to stay.

If you decide not to go to immigration you can exit and enter using both your current and cancelled passports.

The entry IO may make you get the data referencing your current permission to stay transferred at the airport (but probably won’t bother)

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There is no requirement to go to immigration, it is a convenience, 

A Visa is never transferred.

If you go to immigration they will make notes regarding your current permission to stay in your new passport, that includes which class of entry was used to get the permission to stay.

If you decide not to go to immigration you can exit and enter using both your current and cancelled passports.

The entry IO may make you get the data referencing your current permission to stay transferred at the airport (but probably won’t bother)

You need to go to Immigration when you leave the Country and there they will transfer your current permission to stay visa stamp from your old passport to your new passport and then stamp you out the Country as you are leaving .

But the point was that you cannot just turn up at departure immigration with a new passport and get stamped out , they will still need to see your old passport with your entry stamp in it 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You need to go to Immigration when you leave the Country and there they will transfer your current permission to stay visa stamp from your old passport to your new passport and then stamp you out the Country as you are leaving .

Incorrect. I, as have many, exited on a new passport carrying the cancelled passport. No visit to immigration before leaving or at the airport. No transfer of information into the new passport, just an exit stamp. Of course the old passport was checked for the current entry stamp.

7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

But the point was that you cannot just turn up at departure immigration with a new passport and get stamped out , they will still need to see your old passport with your entry stamp in it 

As I posted. I never suggested that you didn’t need the cancelled passport.

The only case where the old passport is not required is if you have bothered to get the current status transferred into the new passport 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How did you get stamped out the Country without going to immigration ?

No stamps were transferred, I assumed that by “going to immigration” on exit you were referring to an immigration supervisor desk rather than a standard IO cubicle, off course I cleared immigration before entering airside.

your claim that stamps WILL. be transferred is usually wrong.

7 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

No stamps were transferred, I assumed that by “going to immigration” on exit you were referring to an immigration supervisor desk rather than a standard IO cubicle, off course I cleared immigration before entering airside.

your claim that stamps WILL. be transferred is usually wrong.

When I left Thailand on a new passport , they stamped my new passport with a new stamp detailing my old passport number and my visa number and possibly my entry date (I will have to go and look),. 

5 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

When I left Thailand on a new passport , they stamped my new passport with a new stamp detailing my old passport number and my visa number and possibly my entry date (I will have to go and look),. 

So you got yours transferred (probably) I didn’t get anything but a stamp, others I have seen were the same as me.

TIT your experience is not necessarily the same as someone else.

Assuming that everyone has the same treatment in Thailand is an exercise in futility

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So you got yours transferred (probably) I didn’t get anything but a stamp, others I have seen were the same as me.

TIT your experience is not necessarily the same as someone else.

I got mine done a few years ago and they had to physically write my old PP number in the new PP , but maybe that's no longer necessary because its computerised these days with facial recognition and finger prints , so they might not need to write the old PP number in the new PP

19 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

How did you get stamped out the Country without going to immigration ?

Isn't the immigration desk at the airport like an immigration office? So i think, as someone wrote, show both of your passport and they will stamp you out on the new passport once they check your current visa status on your old passport.

On 12/2/2023 at 2:03 PM, richard_smith237 said:

An acquaintance inadvertently found himself on a 4-month overstay, loooong story, mitigating circumstances.
Never used any agents, sorted by CW, 80K.

1 hour ago, Mika78 said:

Isn't the immigration desk at the airport like an immigration office? So i think, as someone wrote, show both of your passport and they will stamp you out on the new passport once they check your current visa status on your old passport.

He can return to his home Country on an expired passport.

The question is how long is his current overstay?
In the case of surrendering to the authorities and his overstay being less than 90 days, the fine is 500BHT per day up to a maximum fine of 20,000BHT.
Overstay more than 90 days but less than a year, it's an automatic 1-year ban from re-entering Thailand.
That raises the question of how long does it take to obtain a new passport, which could be detrimental to his current overstay situation.

Should your friend be arrested, with an overstay of less than 1 year, the fine is 20,000BHT and an automatic ban of re-entering Thailand for 5 years.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Liquorice said:

An acquaintance inadvertently found himself on a 4-month overstay, loooong story, mitigating circumstances.
Never used any agents, sorted by CW, 80K.

Your acquaintance was extremely fortunate not to be arrested for his overstay.

(I can't find the video) - Last week I saw an online video / story doing the rounds now of a lady (British I think)... who's lived in Thailand with her family (Husband and Children) for many years (about 15 I think)...  She found out she had cancer and underwent treatment - lots going on obviously. 

She want to Immigration to renew her visa and only then realised she'd overstayed - (I think it was more than 90 days)... 

So she's now banned from Thailand for a year and is staying in Bali. 

Her children remain at school in Thailand, her cancer has come back - she may never return to Thailand.

A horrific and tragic tail - Apparently the Embassy got involved and asked immigration for leniency on the ban, siting extenuating circumstances - the answer was still no.

Very harsh IMO.

Edited by richard_smith237