Could you be a beach bum for a year?

bignok

Being a beach bum in a Bungalow is hardly being a bum. I have stayed for 6 weeks on the beach in a plain bamboo hut, shared ablutions, in my younger years, I didn't want to leave but had to go back for work, I did that for about 4yrs. in a row.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

i see guys by my condo pool every day cooking themselves like chickens on one of those rotisseries, crazy thing to do

I am not a sunbather as such. But I like swimming and the beach nearby and since my possible retirement starts in May the few months would be at the start of the wet season which is my favourite time to go - big empty beaches, some intermittent rain but lots of time to swim with cloudy weather and some sunshine  - could stay at a nice hotel too for a good price. Could be that when I have no limits on time as I did in the past it seems less fun. See what happens. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah, too small an island.  Same w/Samui, though not a fan anyway.

Phuket maybe.  PKK fine, being a long province surfside, so easy to kill a year here.  But one spot, one resort, one town... NO, that would get old fast.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

I gave up. Played enough for 5 lifetimes. If I cant shoot 72 which i cant why bother? After being -1 after 11 holes and shooting 80 i decided enough. 

Golf is a good interest to have once retired, easily better than sitting on a beach. A lot of people do give up golf, too difficult, pretend they don't like it

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Thais often have vit D deficiency, when i see Thais at golf they are almost totally covered

I don't think that your statement is entirely accurate.

I've played golf with Thais, both men and ladies for many years. They cover up because they just don't want to be black. Bugger all effect on vitiman deficiency over what probably amounts to 4-5 hours being covered up.

5 hours ago, V8M8 said:

I don't think that your statement is entirely accurate.

I've played golf with Thais, both men and ladies for many years. They cover up because they just don't want to be black. Bugger all effect on vitiman deficiency over what probably amounts to 4-5 hours being covered up.

Evidence suggests otherwise. Covering up from the sun to the extreme as they do does have an impact

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5685050/#:~:text=[12] conducted the largest-,<50 nmol%2FL).

Screenshot_2023-12-04-05-05-53-210_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's good not everyone is the same. For me the beach is a magical place, I love it. For decades my living was made traveling the world's oceans. Now retired I love kicking back on the warn sand with a cooler of beer and some herb. A great way to contemplate life. I feel so much healthier with some color on me.

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

drugs might help

If you can't make a structure for yourself and stick to it, that's where you're headed. Say what you will about booze and drugs, they are very effective and wonderful time fillers.

Prob not even one person in a hundred can live an un-externally motivated, unstructured life happily or productively (me neither). In a place where everyone else is either adrift or on vacation (means: temporarily very happy adrift), motivation and traction will be hard to find.

Since I moved to Chiang Mai 15 months ago, I've done about a third of what I thought I might do. So a fair bit better than average.

But on a less stimulating, less stuff to do-place like the beach?  The people who don't go mad there came with a purpose like yoga-teaching or having a business. The golfers here take some stick, but showing up for the golf game is a very useful way to structure your day or week.

14 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

But with a nice girlfriend I can get into the routine fairly easily. 

Perhaps the trickiest, thorniest life style enhancer to line up.

My long ago time on Ko Chang often had a guy move into the hut next to me with a girlfriend du jour. I'd ask to move or check out.

That lady wants to be back with her friends, not trapped with horny, bored Farang Curuso and nothing to do. Loud fighting ensuing no later than the morning of day 2.

• Haha 1