Has anyone done the application to get a visitor visa to Australia for their Thai GF/wife in the past couple of months?

Not for a long time but I doubt requirements have changed. Lots of paper work to justify and the Thai would need some English fluentcy plus their own funds. Need to have an income and therefore purpose to return if it's a tourist visa only.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Haveasay said:

Not for a long time but I doubt requirements have changed. Lots of paper work to justify and the Thai would need some English fluentcy plus their own funds. Need to have an income and therefore purpose to return if it's a tourist visa only.

Cheers, I've done several successful applications for her over the past decade, I really want to find out if it's best to do this new application by hard copy or the online application. Also where to lodge the completed application (hard copy)

No problem getting a 3 year visa (600) for my wife a couple of months ago via a ImmiAccount. However this was her fourth visa and second 3 year multiple entry. A lot of paperwork (pdf's) but most of it was already prepared from previous applications. It was just the same information so why we need to go through the whole process each time is anyone's guess. The same with the biometrics that they have on file. Her new Thai passport has her biometrics in it but this is not good enough for our esteemed Home Affairs department.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

No problem getting a 3 year visa (600) for my wife a couple of months ago via a ImmiAccount. However this was her fourth visa and second 3 year multiple entry. A lot of paperwork (pdf's) but most of it was already prepared from previous applications. It was just the same information so why we need to go through the whole process each time is anyone's guess. The same with the biometrics that they have on file. Her new Thai passport has her biometrics in it but this is not good enough for our esteemed Home Affairs department.

Just sent you a message mate.

4 hours ago, Nemises said:

Not the answer you wanted but we use a TH agent each time her AU tourist visa expires. All too easy …and cheap. They do everything

could you please give me the contact details for the TH agent.

You will need to do the application through the Home Affairs website. Register an immi account and complete the application. 

Use the same information from previous successful applications. Even if you think it's not necessary, upload as many documents as you can to support her application. Particularly bank statements, chanotes, and other income such as work or business.

Because your wife has visited in the past and returned, it will help to support her application. After you have submitted the application, you will be asked to provide biometrics. Even if you have done this in the past, it's still required. Follow the instructions and make an online booking with VFS Global. This will allow her to use the smart gates when entering and departing. 

When I did my wife's application last July the approval time was 4 months, however, it was approved in 5 weeks. So keep that in mind before booking tickets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamJ said:

You will need to do the application through the Home Affairs website. Register an immi account and complete the application. 

Use the same information from previous successful applications. Even if you think it's not necessary, upload as many documents as you can to support her application. Particularly bank statements, chanotes, and other income such as work or business.

Because your wife has visited in the past and returned, it will help to support her application. After you have submitted the application, you will be asked to provide biometrics. Even if you have done this in the past, it's still required. Follow the instructions and make an online booking with VFS Global. This will allow her to use the smart gates when entering and departing. 

When I did my wife's application last July the approval time was 4 months, however, it was approved in 5 weeks. So keep that in mind before booking tickets. 

Thanks for your reply: her last visa grant, in Nov 2019 was the 3 year multi, but of course she lost over 2 years usage due to the border lockdowns. She has been granted about 4 or 5 tourist visas over the past decade, so I'm not expecting any hassles, I own my home in Oz and have a sizable bank balance, so they're big pluses, in addition she has a very good track record of not breaking any visa conditions.

All previous applications have been hard copies, so never done it before by the immi account. She already has an immi account and I've already started some of the filling in. I'll prepare all the supporting docs and save them as pdfs.

What I'm not clear about is this: In the past I just made copies of all the docs and included them with the application, but I see now they want everything certified. So all these pdfs have to be certified first? In the past I gave bank balance statements, mine and hers, now they say the statements have to show 6 months of transactions. Before I included a copy of her chanote, but now all Thai docs have to be translated and certified.

• Thanks 1

I've successfully applied a couple of times this year, but have also had a few knocked back. The test is whether the applicant has good enough reasons to come back to Thailand (job, children, family, property, responsibilities etc), plus 100,000 - 200,000 maintained in a bank account for at least 3 months. It is also important she has a good reason to visit Australia (e.g. visit boyfriend for holiday travel etc)

If she is married/close girlfriend, this will help. I normally prepare a 'letter of support' as to how the applicant will stay at my house etc. etc. 

There is also an element of luck depending upon who the assessing officer is. One lady knocks almost everyone back, the other seems to approve most applications. 

47 minutes ago, grain said:

Thanks for your reply: her last visa grant, in Nov 2019 was the 3 year multi, but of course she lost over 2 years usage due to the border lockdowns. She has been granted about 4 or 5 tourist visas over the past decade, so I'm not expecting any hassles, I own my home in Oz and have a sizable bank balance, so they're big pluses, in addition she has a very good track record of not breaking any visa conditions.

All previous applications have been hard copies, so never done it before by the immi account. She already has an immi account and I've already started some of the filling in. I'll prepare all the supporting docs and save them as pdfs.

What I'm not clear about is this: In the past I just made copies of all the docs and included them with the application, but I see now they want everything certified. So all these pdfs have to be certified first? In the past I gave bank balance statements, mine and hers, now they say the statements have to show 6 months of transactions. Before I included a copy of her chanote, but now all Thai docs have to be translated and certified.

Hi, I believe it all changed to online after covid as before we had to submit the hard copies to VFS.

As for certifying documents, we didn't other than having my wife signature on each. All docs were from offical sources anyway, bank, chanote, etc.

My wife self funded herself but we included our marriage cert as well. I also added my name as someone traveling with her.

I included a letter from me saying my wife is visiting family with me. Also a brief but open itinerary of our stay. 

I think with the 6 mth bank statement they are looking for regular deposits and withdraws not just a lump sum deposit. You could add that you will support her during your stay at your property but I'm sure they already expect that.

I don't think you will have a problem as your wife has been previously on a few occasions and always returned. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamJ said:

Hi, I believe it all changed to online after covid as before we had to submit the hard copies to VFS.

As for certifying documents, we didn't other than having my wife signature on each. All docs were from offical sources anyway, bank, chanote, etc.

My wife self funded herself but we included our marriage cert as well. I also added my name as someone traveling with her.

I included a letter from me saying my wife is visiting family with me. Also a brief but open itinerary of our stay. 

I think with the 6 mth bank statement they are looking for regular deposits and withdraws not just a lump sum deposit. You could add that you will support her during your stay at your property but I'm sure they already expect that.

I don't think you will have a problem as your wife has been previously on a few occasions and always returned. 

did you have the chanote translated to english? 

2 hours ago, grain said:

did you have the chanote translated to english? 

Just read your post after replying to the PM. I have never been asked to have Thai documents translated as it has always been a Thai person that processed the application. Let me know if things have changed as this would be serious.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

I've successfully applied a couple of times this year, but have also had a few knocked back. The test is whether the applicant has good enough reasons to come back to Thailand (job, children, family, property, responsibilities etc), plus 100,000 - 200,000 maintained in a bank account for at least 3 months. It is also important she has a good reason to visit Australia (e.g. visit boyfriend for holiday travel etc)

If she is married/close girlfriend, this will help. I normally prepare a 'letter of support' as to how the applicant will stay at my house etc. etc. 

There is also an element of luck depending upon who the assessing officer is. One lady knocks almost everyone back, the other seems to approve most applications. 

This isn't correct all.

She doesn't have to show any money if the trip is being funded by her partner, which I assume is the majority of cases.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 2:50 PM, Haveasay said:

Her ability to speak English has no bearing at all on her getting a visitor visa.

Neither does having her own savings or income.

Reason to return to Thailand is the main thing she will need to prove.

Information already given by the OP shows this will not be a problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, grain said:

No need for documents to be certified.

From the Home Affairs website.

You do not need to have any documents certified unless we ask you to.

• Like 2

Last time we went for it was 2019 or so and it was initially a bit of a pain because they asked my girlfriend to get a health check which cost a bit - a few hundred I think - after she had had one a couple of years before. The upside was they gave us the three year tourist visa for three monthly visits. Then covid happened and after one trip to Australia that was that. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Last time we went for it was 2019 or so and it was initially a bit of a pain because they asked my girlfriend to get a health check which cost a bit - a few hundred I think - after she had had one a couple of years before. The upside was they gave us the three year tourist visa for three monthly visits. Then covid happened and after one trip to Australia that was that. 

Same story with us too. Last visa was Nov 2019, after several weeks waiting we got a phone call saying she needed a medical report, we live in Korat and the nearest acceptable hospitals were BKK and Udon Thani, so it was a mad rush to Udon Thani. A couple weeks later she was granted the 3-year visa, which was fantastic, then 4 months later the world locked down.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am refreshing this topic if anyone has anything further to add. There was some news recently of visa free agreement but nothing further. So I will be applying for visa for GF to travel together with me from Pattaya to Perth and return for a month. November this year.(family wedding) Thanks for any thoughts and also agent contact details if you would.Cheers

Edited by Olmate
Add

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

I am refreshing this topic if anyone has anything further to add. There was some news recently of visa free agreement but nothing further. So I will be applying for visa for GF to travel together with me from Pattaya to Perth and return for a month. November this year.(family wedding) Thanks for any thoughts and also agent contact details if you would.Cheers

Like Grain said if you tick all of those boxes then no need for an agent …unless you couldn’t be bothered doing it yourself…. which is me! 

My agent was great, they dealt directly with the TGF. I did nothing :coffee1: Have their details if you choose that path.

I’m in Sydney. The TGF arrives next week for her 3rd holiday here - and is also booked for her 4th - in a year!

Edited by Nemises

25 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Like Grain said if you tick all of those boxes then no need for an agent …unless you couldn’t be bothered doing it yourself…. which is me! 

My agent was great, they dealt directly with TGF. I did nothing 🥱Have their details if you choose that path.

I’m in Sydney. The TGF arrives next week for her 3rd holiday here - and is also booked for her 4th - in a year!

Thanks, its me also, IT dumb and easily annoyed.If you could message me or post agent info would be great, also price.This trip has just surfaced unexpectedly and need to sort it quickly.Enjoy the upcoming visit of your lovelylady! Regards

34 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Thanks, its me also, IT dumb and easily annoyed.If you could message me or post agent info would be great, also price.This trip has just surfaced unexpectedly and need to sort it quickly.Enjoy the upcoming visit of your lovelylady! Regards

Thanks for the well-wishes. PM sent!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quik update before songkran.... Applied E600 with help from my Oz family Easter Tuesday after a weeks preparation, submitted 4pm, ok notified to attend biometrics within the hour! Attn Trendy next day,.!  Absolutely jampacked with Oz.Makes me.think Albo has unofficially/officially granted Thais free holiday visa. Either way looks good!! Thanks to all who resonded, much appreciate! 🎉

• Like 1