For long term expats, is your average life expectancy based on your home country or Thailand?

Jingthing

Hmm, have to admit, not pertinent to me. I have quit breathing due to anesthesia one time 1970s (told them I was a “soft touch). Then heart attack during open heart surgery in 2005. Additional heart attack here in Chiang Mai in 2015. “Borrowed time”? … I am just living in the moment and enjoying my live. I did decide to retire in 2011 at age 64 1/2 (academic year calendar played a part).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Reached 78 just a few days ago , if I had stayed in UK  I am sure I would have

been dead years ago , too much stress ,eating wrong food , so glad I moved

here when I did ,

regards worgeordie

Agreed. The stress is a killer. I firmly believe a contributing cause to my need for 5 by-passes in 2005. Don’t kid yourself thinking an academic life is stress free. The internal politics are the main cause of stress.

• Like 1

I'm in my 70's, I mine says 89 now. If chocking in Thailand I would bet it would take a few years off that. Conclusion is if retiring at 66 in the US and move to Thailand or SE Asia to spend the rest of your life. Probably shave 5-6 years off of that.

• Confused 1

Life expectancy doesn't mean a lot. It's how well you live in the marginal decade (your last decade) that's more important to consider. Are you bedridden or still mobile? Do you require care or are you still self-sufficient? Do you know who you are, or have you forgotten your name?

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

Life expectancy doesn't mean a lot. It's how well you live in the marginal decade (your last decade) that's more important to consider. Are you bedridden or still mobile? Do you require care or are you still self-sufficient? Do you know who you are, or have you forgotten your name?

I have forgotten my ex's name, added a few year on to my life I imagine. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gknrd said:

I'm in my 70's, I mine says 89 now. If chocking in Thailand I would bet it would take a few years off that. Conclusion is if retiring at 66 in the US and move to Thailand or SE Asia to spend the rest of your life. Probably shave 5-6 years off of that.

You also have to factor in things like climate. The warm/hot year-round temperatures in Thailand make moving around with arthritis a lot easier, versus if you live in a cold climate back at home. Stiff or aching joints are nearly a universal problem for people in their marginal decade of life.

This is a very interesting subject as I often think about whether I'm doing better or worse here than back in subtropical Queensland. In Pattaya, the air quality is very bad for much of the year.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 5:29 PM, Jingthing said:

This may be an academic topic for most as looking at national life expectancy numbers doesn't tell you very much about your own situation as far as factors like health history, the risks you take, and health history of your relatives, etc.

However in some cases it's worth looking at particularly for older Americans deciding when to start their social security benefit.

Being American, I looked this up and was kind of surprised to learn that the Thailand life expectancy is much higher than in the US.

I wasn't surprised at all to learn that U.S. life expectancies are much lower than other "advanced" western countries though. 

U.S.

Men 73.1 (BAD!)

Women 79.1

https://www.statnews.com/2023/11/13/life-expectancy-men-women/

THAILAND

Men 75.75

Women 84.08

So long term expats, are we in the Thai bucket or stuck with our home country?

First, looking at Thai life expectancy numbers surely does not give accurate figures. Given that so many Thai die from things other than old age. 

Then you have to ask are the foreigners living the same as an average old Thai man? Doubtful to say the least. 

Given my lifestyle, I would say life expectancy is somewhere in the middle between Thai averages and American averages. 

I think I can speak for most foreigners in Thailand who live here and enjoy the benefits or having a good income. We do not live the same as we would in America.

Personally, I think if i was still in the USA I would be rotting away with some old lady next to me or in a retirement home or worse. Either way, I would be rotting away doing half the things I do here. 

In Thailand, I have sex daily still or more than that. I travel quite a bit. I dance and party with younger women. 

I have 3 kids not even 10 years old yet that also help to keep me active. 

So one has to ask. Is the lifestyle we chose while in Thailand helping us or hurting us? 

Personally, I think it is helping me to enjoy my life unlike the way it would be in the USA. 

I seriously doubt most Americans would have a wife and make babies with her at half my age. 

As I seriously doubt most Americans in Thailand would be seeking a woman aged over 60 to spend their futures with. 

I never felt younger than I do now while I was in the USA. In fact if you looked at my old passport photo prior to coming into Thailand I looked 15 years older than I do now. and that was taken 15 years ago. 

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Your trolls are pathetic. You must be 8yo.

Oh Bignok, does it hurt? I'm sooo sorry. Though  I'm sure you're used to already. But probably you got an easy, happy life if nobody takes you as serious. Stay as you are and post cracking jokes as usual. Have a wonderful Christmas time. I hope my wishes for you will come true. All the best.🧑‍🎄🧑‍🎄🧑‍🎄

This may be an academic topic for most as looking at national life expectancy numbers doesn't tell you very much about your own situation as far as factors like health history, the risks you take, and health history of your relatives, etc.

However in some cases it's worth looking at particularly for older Americans deciding when to start their social security benefit.

Being American, I looked this up and was kind of surprised to learn that the Thailand life expectancy is much higher than in the US.

I wasn't surprised at all to learn that U.S. life expectancies are much lower than other "advanced" western countries though. 

U.S.

Men 73.1 (BAD!)

Women 79.1

THAILAND

Men 75.75

Women 84.08

So, a final reply I would say I will live past the life expectancy Americans have but less than the average for normal Thais. haha.. As long as my heart is strong, have no worries or stress and a young median to relieve those things when I have them. I may even outlive the Thai life expectancy. haha.. 

1 minute ago, newbee2022 said:

Oh Bignok, does it hurt? I'm sooo sorry. Though  I'm sure you're used to already. But probably you got an easy, happy life if nobody takes you as serious. Stay as you are and post cracking jokes as usual. Have a wonderful Christmas time. I hope my wishes for you will come true. All the best.🧑‍🎄🧑‍🎄🧑‍🎄

May God fulfill all your supermodel dreams.

U.S.

Men 73.1 (BAD!)

Women 79.1

THAILAND

Men 75.75

Women 84.08

My father (a Brit) made it to 79, he lived in Asia for about half of his life.  Was never overweight, never smoked, didn't drink much, didn't eat much. Wasn't interested in sport, so didn't do any except a bit of swimming.  Alzheimers and a minor stroke got him in the end. 

I figure I'll make it to about the same age although I hope I make it to the age my mum managed which was 86.

2 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

My father (a Brit) made it to 79, he lived in Asia for about half of his life.  Was never overweight, never smoked, didn't drink much, didn't eat much. Wasn't interested in sport, so didn't do any except a bit of swimming.  Alzheimers and a minor stroke got him in the end. 

I figure I'll make it to about the same age although I hope I make it to the age my mum managed which was 86.

your avatar: 42 oz.  was this your weight at birth,  Fred??

Don't know if mentioned, but if looking at life expectancy, should be looking at charts with year born & location.  (saw different chart/67.7 yrs)

Myself, USA, 66.7 yrs, and 45 of those in USA.  Actually had an oops at about 67.7, and tech now, that wasn't available in Dec 1954, saved me, or at least would make things better or back to normal again.   That was last year and any complications usually show up in that year, so all good, again, maybe.

We're on borrowed time ... ENJOY

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, bignok said:

The article on magnesium is v interesting.  (I've been taking magnesium supplements for a few years.)  As far as i can see, it does not mention the best suggested amount of daily consumption.

Just now, blazes said:

The article on magnesium is v interesting.  (I've been taking magnesium supplements for a few years.)  As far as i can see, it does not mention the best suggested amount of daily consumption.

I take 2 to 4 tablets a day. Depends on exercise.

Healed my joint pain. Gets rid of cramps.

On 12/5/2023 at 2:36 AM, Jingthing said:

Understood.

I considered putting this in the US forum, because for Americans estimating your life expectancy well is a really big deal (financially) in deciding what age to start your social security benefits.

The U.S. male life expectancy is low due to murders, suicides and accidents. So that if you can avoid the unusually high numbers of those 3 in America, your life expectancy will be considerably higher.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know if mentioned, but if looking at life expectancy, should be looking at charts with year born & location.  (saw different chart/67.7 yrs)

Myself, USA, 66.7 yrs, and 45 of those in USA.  Actually had an oops at about 67.7, and tech now, that wasn't available in Dec 1954, saved me, or at least would make things better or back to normal again.   That was last year and any complications usually show up in that year, so all good, again, maybe.

We're on borrowed time ... ENJOY

If you are 66.7...you would not have been born in 1954-"I was , in August that year and I am 69.3

17 hours ago, donmuang37 said:

Jingthing,

I strongly recommend against taking SS pension early - you'll regret it later.  I took mine at full retirement age - 65 in my case.  Have been receiving it for 21 years.  Taking it at 70 would have been better.  Good luck

Apologies for going a bit OT but this is a topic that is deserving of its own thread somewhere - when to take US Social Security and for those who have already started, in hindsight would you have waited.  Weighing my options on this decision now.  

From an overall "total money received over your life" perspective, the "break-even age" appears to be 79 or so.  Live past 79, you'd receive more money overall by waiting.  Die before 79, you'd receive more money overall by taking it early.  

8 hours ago, bignok said:

I take 2 to 4 tablets a day. Depends on exercise.

Healed my joint pain. Gets rid of cramps.

But they're only once a month for a few days ... :laugh:

Myself, do 1000 mg Vit C a day, and a multi vit & a multi vit, since my diet sucks from younger days.

I rarely, if ever get sick, viral/bacteria, and if I do, last a day, maybe.  My immune system amazes me, much to the dismay of wife & kid.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

First, one needs to understand that the different populations in the US are more diverse than in Thailand.

The life expectancy of an American living in the east coast of Florida, is different than the life expectancy of an African American living in Detroit, but when taken all together on average they  present a different picture. 

So which americans are we talking about?

But life expectancy world wide is also governed by a host of different variables, some of which will change when moving to Thailand, and others would remain.

What will change and what will remain also varies among , individuals and nationalities. Some are more conducive towards change than others,

IMO , no one has enough information to have an opinion. yet many will , an I am sure this thread will deteriorate into a, how things in Thailand are terrible and  are killing us. 

Personally I have a very good plan to live to be 100, 

I read some place that people in the island of Ikaria in Greece on the average live to be 100, 

So a couple of years before I approach the end of my life expectancy, I am moving there !!

Suckers!!:laugh:

Edited by sirineou