Lost driver's license

I've just lost my thai 5 year driver's license and the rest of the contents of my wallet. So I'm just wondering do I need to replace it because it's due to be replaced in August next year or can I just show a photocopy of my license until then? Or will I get new 5-years on the new license when they issue the replacement?

Also I've read that I can get away with just the police report copies of my old license probably passport main page as well. Can anybody confirm?

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If you'd bothered to set up the driving licence app you wouldn't need to replace. Police don't accept copies. Either make a police report and get a new licence or take the risk until next year

If you have a photo of the back of your license, then you can register on the app.

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

link to licence app, please.

wife says that cops dont accept the app... but nice to be safe not sorry... shes been wrong in the past -- she married me  

Download the DltQR License app on your phone 

• Like 1

This is the App.... 

I registered ages ago - I can't remember if you need to Scan the QR code on the back of your Licence to Link it, OR, if your Passport number is sufficient to register. 

The App is all in Thai - but you can use Google Translate to assist with that.

image.thumb.png.dbb609a556458979fadebe35ee226936.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is the App.... 

I registered ages ago - I can't remember if you need to Scan the QR code on the back of your Licence to Link it, OR, if your Passport number is sufficient to register. 

The App is all in Thai - but you can use Google Translate to assist with that.

image.thumb.png.dbb609a556458979fadebe35ee226936.png

Yes, need to scan the QR to register 

9 minutes ago, novacova said:
13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

if they don't need a police report than can just re-print you a new licence on the spot. 

👍 didn’t know this, good info, 

I'm not sure if a Foreigner needs a Police report - I only have my Wife's (Thai) experience as a basis of info.

At DLT Area 3 (nr Sukhumvit 99 in BKK) a Police report was not required, she was in and out in a few mins (minimal queues at the time).

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not sure if a Foreigner needs a Police report - I only have my Wife's (Thai) experience as a basis of info.

At DLT Area 3 (nr Sukhumvit 99 in BKK) a Police report was not required, she was in and out in a few mins (minimal queues at the time).

The re-print 👍, same, don’t know anything about police report, though it may vary depending on location.

Yeah I downloaded the app and tried to register without success from the pictures I had of the QR code on the back.

But I'm also wondering if I do get a new license will I get 5 years or will it only be until the original expiry?

12 minutes ago, 1 said:

Yeah I downloaded the app and tried to register without success from the pictures I had of the QR code on the back.

But I'm also wondering if I do get a new license will I get 5 years or will it only be until the original expiry?

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

just re-print you a new licence on the spot. 

Just go to the DLT and have them reprint your license, it should suffice. If you get stopped, they can scan the QR code. And keep the photos of your license in your phone handy, it should be good enough. You can apply for a new license 3 months before expiry and up to 1 year after expiration.

Edited by novacova
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1 said:

I'm quite sure the reprint will just be a 're-print'...  with the same renewal dates etc otherwise we'd all be losing our licences just before they expired... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1 said:

They will just reprint your existing one, as it is (Original Expiry)

Fee is 55 baht

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

They will just reprint your existing one, as it is (Original Expiry)

Fee is 55 baht

Wow that seems super cheap. Is that the price in the DLT for Pattaya? Thanks 

13 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

Years back, I gave my photo to an agent and after one day he came back with my driver license. Cost me around 8k.

Years back, I did it myself in a few hours... cost me about 300 baht.

No relevance to replacing a lost licence though.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, 1 said:

I've just lost my thai 5 year driver's license and the rest of the contents of my wallet. So I'm just wondering do I need to replace it because it's due to be replaced in August next year or can I just show a photocopy of my license until then? Or will I get new 5-years on the new license when they issue the replacement?

Also I've read that I can get away with just the police report copies of my old license probably passport main page as well. Can anybody confirm?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, that's correct: You need a police report – I think it's still 20 baht in fee – and the go to Land Transport Office to get a new Driver's License, which will cost you a fee in the area of 200 baht. It will be same period, as you lost DL. A photocopy might not work, so better get it done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Yes, that's correct: You need a police report – I think it's still 20 baht in fee – and the go to Land Transport Office to get a new Driver's License, which will cost you a fee in the area of 200 baht. It will be same period, as you lost DL. A photocopy might not work, so better get it done.

Police report was 100b. I've done police reports before but I can't recall when I paid. 

20 hours ago, 1 said:

Police report was 100b. I've done police reports before but I can't recall when I paid. 

Fee might depend of where/province. I've done it a couple of times – DL and a lost mobile phone – each time it was 20 baht, but last time was 4-5 years ago.

• Thanks 1

I lost my five year driver license earlier this year. 

Must have police report,  20 B   and  Residence Certificate 300 B -- all original--  in hand while applying for replacement at DLT. 

I did not have a photo copy of lost license so I had panic before going, anyway it was OK.

Bring passport of course and you will need photo copies of certain pages  -- could do on the spot.  

Cost for replacement was surprisingly low.  around 200 B --- could not remember now.. 

exactly same happened to me couple of months ago. What I did

1. install the DLT QR license app, easy even if in thai language (google translate of screenshots good enough to do) if you have copy/photo of old licence where can scan the QR code.

Maybe good enough alone, however I wanted to get the hard copy as well so that can show for other purposes

2. made police report and got the paper from police for lost license (not sure if this needed for replacement or not but got anyway as dont want to make multiple trips to DLT)

3. got residence cert from immigration (not sure if this needed for replacement or not but got anyway as dont want to make multiple trips to DLT)

4. made copies of passport, visa, and old license

5 went to DLT near highway 36 with the bunch of copies. Was instructed to go upstairs on some counter. Handed my papers to the person behind the desk, no words exchanged as it was obvious what I was after. Waited some 15-20min, was called to pay. Paid (some 100-200 baht I recall). Was told to wait downstairs for photo. Waited another 15min. Was called in, took photo. Waited another 15min and was called to get the replacement copy of the licence. Went back home.

Validity end date same as original 5yr license, it is basically a reprint copy with updated pic

not too difficult, just the usual thai hassle waiting at multiple counters (police, immigration, DLT x2)...

Edited by mran66
  • Thanks 1