Thai Restaurant Owner in Sweden Gets Partial Refund from Hospital After High Medical Bill

webfact

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

If you have left for over 6 month's you can't return for a visit and use the NHS without paying a bill @ +150%.

Sorry to be pedantic but people sometimes skim read (including myself) - just to clarify, leaving the UK for an extended holiday of over 6 months would not preclude a UK national from obtaining free NHS healthcare.  They have to have intentionally left and taken up residence elsewhere.

As a personal opinion, UK nationals should never be prevented from obtaining free healthcare in the UK, even if they have left.  If you're an 'older citizen' you've probably saved the NHS a fortune by leaving in the first place.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, rbkk said:

So, visiting her country of birth and using that countries health service? I know that's a no-no for the UK's NHS. (Have to wait 3 years for returning residents.)

Wrong,if you can demonstrate your have returned on a permanent basis you are entitled on day one

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

They have to have intentionally left and taken up residence elsewhere.

Expatriates. Expatriates returning to the UK for a visit. The majority of members here would be termed expats?

Edited by rbkk

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thais don't pay anything!

You can believe that if you want, that old saying "everyone's equal", but some are more equal than others.

For the cataract operations the Thais were allowed 6000 baht from the social  security, that just covered the cost of the cheapest lens everything else was chargeable. Like my sister in law I was offered lenses at 6K, 9K and 13K, we both opted for the 13K.

At my normal hospital as the only falang in sight I would be able to go straight to the cashier, something that usually takes best part of an hour.

On 12/7/2023 at 11:12 AM, smedly said:

ordinarily resident is living in the UK for 6 months - not ordinarily resident is out of the country for 6 months, exceptions exist like i mentioned above, they rarely check anything as they have no means to do so, if you have a NI number and a UK address then you are good to go

Exactly, my best mate did this about three years ago and was treated for cancer. He had lived here for about 30 years and never more than a few weeks in the UK every year. He had a NI number and an address. Sadly he died in April this year.

8 hours ago, rbkk said:

Expatriates. Expatriates returning to the UK for a visit. The majority of members here would be termed expats?

If they were stupid enough to say so and burn their bridges. When I leave next spring, I'm telling no-one. Mail will be scanned and emailed to me, bank account staying open and I'll visit my doctor on my annual trip home etc. etc.

But as I say, there's very little needed to re-establish residence and no time limits.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mrwebb8825 said:

I've never had my cream squeezed out of me at a hospital. Is that a special service? How much extra is it?

What a funny guy you are. I was referring to money, but you already knew that. How much extra? For you it would probably only regard more education and understanding.

12 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

Indeed proving ALL FORIENGERS ARE RIPPED OFF . DREADFUL  

I am Mr Sarcastic, I am Mr Sarcastic. They call me Mister Deppo Deppo..........You should try a little bit more lova lova.......

7 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Yes, over 25k a night is very expensive for a Thai. I bet the criminal in the Police Hospital suite doesn't pay anything.

There was a story about him, and it said the public will be paying the bill.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 1:01 PM, itsari said:

After having paid a fortune for the dingy I would say it is only fair that you receive a free health check at least before the British Indian PM sends them to Rwanda .

They can get their free health check in Rwanda. Plus, their free accommodation and meals. Ha!

• Sad 1

On 12/7/2023 at 6:22 PM, Gottfrid said:

How many year have you paid so far?

My first year with them. AIA only paid half the medical bills. The one I'm with now pays ALL the medical bill, on the day of discharge If you go to a decent hospital that doesn't double charge foreigners. .