Thai Restaurant Owner in Sweden Gets Partial Refund from Hospital After High Medical Bill

webfact

4 minutes ago, rbkk said:

So, visiting her country of birth and using that countries health service? I know that's a no-no for the UK's NHS. (Have to wait 3 years for returning residents.)

Obviously if charged she was not using free health care - anyone can use public hospitals on a paying basis.  She was treated to the officially allowed foreigner charge for hospital service it seems - although there does not seem to be any mention of this being a government hospital in report.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Squeezing the cream out of the foreigner. Welcome to Thailand!

Some time ago I asked a major hospital on Sukhumvit for an indicative price for an appendix operation, the answer, "Its up to the doctor" and you know what that means. TIT

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That is a ridiculous amount for 4 days of hospitalization. I guess that half of it was useless medicine she was prescribed to take. What is the name of that hospital?

She should have been treated as a foreign resident and pay the bill, if she decided not to buy travel insurance ! Foreign expats in Thailand can not get free healthcare, if they travel back to our native country to visit friends and family.

Edited by Xonax

36 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

250k for 4 days in a hospital with a fever? What possible justification could there be for this? Event if you take off the 100k it's still a crazy price right?

7,000 USD for 4 days in a hospital is a bargain in the United States add another zero or two.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I am retired and have been a resident in Thailand for 17 years. In the Uk the last time I was in a hospita before I lived in Thailand I was 9 years old. During the 17 years here in Thailand I have often visited my family in the UK and twice I have been admitted to a National Health Service hospital, have been well treated and not paid any charges for my treatment.

The rules then were as a person that was registered with the NHS was allowed free treatment whilst on holiday in the UK, unless it was a medical situation that had been identified before making a trip back to the UK.

I think that rule is still used, but if you are interested you should check, maybe info available from the Bangkok Embassy.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1