Thai Government Unveils Comprehensive Measures to Tackle Forest Fires and Air Pollution

webfact

"Comprehensive Measures"

So we can all breathe - cough - a bit - hack, easier?

This government just bounces from controversy to corruption, to problem after problem, with little more than some flapping of the gums.

Less talking, more committees.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I live surrounded by farmland up here in the north east and there is no doubt that there has a big reduction in the amount of field burning over the last 6 years that I've lived here. Farming is becoming more mechanized and using a combine harvester and a plow is the standard procedure now, even on small plots.

Same here in south Surin. Here on the outskirts of Prasat I look out over surrounding rice paddies. No fires, just combined harvesters doing their annual job and tractors turning over the soil later to finish off. All done now for this year.

So why is it so different in the Deep North?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Therefore, Anutin gave instructions to the Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Directorate to make use of technology to notify the public thoroughly and efficiently on air pollution problems.

So no solution then?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Same here in south Surin. Here on the outskirts of Prasat I look out over surrounding rice paddies. No fires, just combined harvesters doing their annual job and tractors turning over the soil later to finish off. All done now for this year.

So why is it so different in the Deep North?

I believe the problem up north is more one of forest fires and topography isn't it?

25 years have been coming to Thailand and living/staying in and around Chiangmai and Lamphun. Every year they claim it’s going to be sorted and every year without fail they fail miserably . Talk is cheap and now word is out in the UK that avoid Chiangmai at this time of year particularly . Amazing Thailand …..  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/7/2023 at 8:30 AM, webfact said:

revealed policies for preventing and solving problems of forest fires, smog, and PM 2.5 smoke

What policies ?

That is the only interesting part in this article , and it is not even mentioned .

• Like 1

I'll stick it out in Bangkok for this winter. About 3 weeks ago I had a kind of near-death experience with a bacterial infection in my lower right lung leading to hospitalization for pneumonia, so for that reason and others I've booked a flight for the beginning of February and will stay out for at least three months, maybe longer. I'll be having a serious discussion with my US doctors about my condition, any lingering damage, and the wisdom of continuing to live in the air of LOS (as opposed to the Bay Area, where today the aqi is around 20). Luckily I own no property and have no children here, and am on a month-to-month rental agreement. Good luck everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is getting worse each year, not better. Talk is cheap here. This all stems to lack of backbone and fear to stand up. Its the same reason why Pita was sidelined. No one has the balls to organize and do something. These people are afraid to standup for themselves and that will never change. 

On 12/7/2023 at 9:01 AM, worgeordie said:

What needs to be done ,is when any Arsonists are caught they need to be sentenced

to a say a 5 year prison term ,that is the only deterrent that will work , and have police,

rangers and any volunteers up in the hills ,camping out if necessary,to catch them

Let the people that set these fires know that you are really serious about this ,as it affects peoples

health,the tourist industry , talk is not working ,get serious ,get people on the ground ,deploy drones,

have road blocks on the roads up in the hills , will this happen, ? going on the last how many years of

Government's response , I am not holding my breath, but soon may have too.

regards worgeordie    soon to be breathless in Chiang Mai

We lived in Chaing Mai for a few years - it was horrendous some days - and worse in Chiang Rai.

The forest burners after those mushrooms do not start their fires until after the local authorities have gone home. 

They have been doing this for decades and it aint gonna stop easily - they make a lot of money selling those mushrooms.

Likewise, the corn farmers do the same - Thais are very good at breaking the laws and not getting caught.

But the bigger problem is not in Thailand, it is the burning done in Myanmar, Loas and Cambodia.

The predominant winds from the East and North at that time of year, blow their smoke into Thailand. 

Those countries dont take any actions to stop their farmers and mushroom hunters burning - and much of the smoke ends up in Thailand.

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

But the bigger problem the other problem is not in Thailand, it is the burning done in Myanmar, Loas and Cambodia.

thailand needs to address illegal burning within its borders before pointing fingers at other countries.

however, it is evident that thailand is unable to effectively halt these illegal burning activities ... just 

look back the last few years ... it got worse!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1