Nakhon Phanom Shines with Spectacular Bike Lane Tunnel Along Mekong River

webfact

image.jpeg

Nakhon Phanom—On December 7th, 2023, Nakhon Phanom reporters publicly revealed efforts for the Nakhon Phanom Municipality and Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) to promote tourism along the Mekong River with a Bike Lane Tunnel throughout December.

The landmark attraction along the Mekong River, the Bike Lane Tunnel, is available for cyclists, joggers, and tourists to indulge in the spectacular scenery on both sides of the Thai-Lao Mekong River up close.

image.jpeg

The tunnel is decorated with colorful, vivid neon lights at a total of 500 meters. The best view can be seen at night throughout December, especially on Christmas and New Year holidays.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-12-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

What action has been taken to prevent motorcycles from being driven through the tunnel? Pedestrians will be already be trying to avoid joggers and cyclists.

I have never seen a motorbike in the tunnel or or on this elevated section of bike path ever since it was built. BUT 2 and 3 wheel electric 'bicycles' are becoming an absolute menace being ridden far too fast by many. Sometimes 2 or 3 or 4 Kids on each bike racing with their mates and older ladies with passengers riding all over the path not keeping left and making little attempt to move out of the way when they see approaching bicycles. After dark is worst when most dont bother to dip their headlights, many of which are as bright as a motorbike's. With more and more being rented out Im convinced that soon there will be a serious accident.

The bicycle path has become a complete joke in NKP. Now that they have the Naga lucratively drawing coachloads of tourists they dont give a monkey's about the cyclists they previously wished to attract or the locals who wish to enjoy cycling on the path.  At the moment It is full of potholes and around the Naga and up to said tunnel vendors are allowed to sell directly onto the path. And nothing is being done to stop it or deter people from walking on it. People see a path and they walk on it, and around the Naga the path is completely congested as people have nowhere else to walk. During the day coachloads of school kids arrive and the teachers march them to and from the Naga on the bike path. Oh I forgot that the said tunnel of lights is impossible to cycle through after dark without constantly stopping and starting from now until after Chinese New Year as it is full of visitors taking photos and selfies. No one keeps to the pedestrian side! As I said it has become a complete joke! It was actually easier and more enjoyable to ride before the path was built because then you could ride around people. I think Nong Khai has the right idea with just a very wide open promenade with no bike path. Happy Christmas....Bah humbug...555.

6 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I have never seen a motorbike in the tunnel or or on this elevated section of bike path ever since it was built. BUT 2 and 3 wheel electric 'bicycles' are becoming an absolute menace being ridden far too fast by many. Sometimes 2 or 3 or 4 Kids on each bike racing with their mates and older ladies with passengers riding all over the path not keeping left and making little attempt to move out of the way when they see approaching bicycles. After dark is worst when most dont bother to dip their headlights, many of which are as bright as a motorbike's. With more and more being rented out Im convinced that soon there will be a serious accident.

The bicycle path has become a complete joke in NKP. Now that they have the Naga lucratively drawing coachloads of tourists they dont give a monkey's about the cyclists they previously wished to attract or the locals who wish to enjoy cycling on the path.  At the moment It is full of potholes and around the Naga and up to said tunnel vendors are allowed to sell directly onto the path. And nothing is being done to stop it or deter people from walking on it. People see a path and they walk on it, and around the Naga the path is completely congested as people have nowhere else to walk. During the day coachloads of school kids arrive and the teachers march them to and from the Naga on the bike path. Oh I forgot that the said tunnel of lights is impossible to cycle through after dark without constantly stopping and starting from now until after Chinese New Year as it is full of visitors taking photos and selfies. No one keeps to the pedestrian side! As I said it has become a complete joke! It was actually easier and more enjoyable to ride before the path was built because then you could ride around people. I think Nong Khai has the right idea with just a very wide open promenade with no bike path. Happy Christmas....Bah humbug...555.

sounds like the tourists are going to love it

5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

What action has been taken to prevent motorcycles from being driven through the tunnel? Pedestrians will be already be trying to avoid joggers and cyclists.

I've cycled the entire  route and as best I can recall there are concrete posts blocking entry to motorcycles.

5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Before and after the tunnel... nothing?

Another gem from hotchilli, the joy of AN.