COVID-19 infections rising, public advised to wear face masks

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Not gonna happen. I rely on my healthy immune system, good diet, exercise, state of mind, and not on constant vaccines and masking. I do not and will not live in a state of fear, despite what the authorities want. 

A sentiment quite often expressed during the Covid epidemic, (often accompanied by praise for the drug Ivermectin - now proven to be useless). Many of those propagating this nonsense  - relying on immune system, state of mind etc - did not live to tell the tale because Covid killed them.

All the evidence fortunately suggests the latest strains are less dangerous - but caution should be advised.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Dirk Z said:

Covid is here to stay but is mostly hardly more serious than influenza. It looks like there is a need to scare people again, since a scared population is easiest to control.

Facemasks should be worn at all times in Thailand, especially whilst driving.

If you are riding a motorbike, put the mask on, but don't worry about a helmet or driving recklessly. Just avoid breathing in a virus rather than smashing your head to pieces. Same goes for car drivers. Mask up inside the car, even if driving alone. The threat of COVID coming through the outside air, into the car and into your mouth is very real....driving recklessly is once again not dangerous however.

Wearing a face mask whilst driving like a lunatic will prevent the spread of COVID. 

With such a bunch of Muppets to pick from, scaremongering reports such as these are not necessary. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

Wearing a face mask whilst driving like a lunatic will prevent the spread of COVID. 

Wearing face masks to prevent COVID and wearing helmets for safety while riding motorcycles are kind of akin to walking and chewing gum.

The more sensible among us can manage to do both, even at the same time if desired.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Not surprising that, during cold and flu season, Thai people go to the hospital to be tested for their symptoms, including for Covid.  That's where Thai people go for health care.  Also not disturbing that 545 may have tested positive in one single hospital.  Most of them apparently got sent home to recover. 

The other recent articles spelling out 536 total hospitalizations for Covid this week, in a population of 71 million, means they'd have to fill Rajamangala Stadium twice to find a single candidate to actually be hospitalized for Covid.  That's 1 hospitalized Covid patient in 130,000 people.  Thailand having about 1300 hospitals, that's one Covid patient every 2.4 hospitals.  Not even one bed per hospital. 

With 3 deaths, that's a 1 in 23,000,000 chance of dying with Covid this week in Thailand.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1313400-thailand’s-weekly-covid-19-cases-surge-over-500-with-three-fatalities/

This study done in Wales sums it up pretty nicely:

...They also found that those who reported high levels of compliance with Covid restrictions and were most worried about infection during the pandemic are least likely to have resumed normal behaviour and more likely to be experiencing stress, anxiety and depression now.

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/research/news/mental-health-costs-of-lockdown-compliance-still-being-felt-research-shows

https://www.healthwisewales.org/uploads/Images/Research projects/Project_updates/Bangor_lay_findings_reformated.pdf

Sadly, there are societal costs to staying in pandemic mode, and it's going to be years before those costs are fully understood.

Extremely good post. Best in this thread.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Masks only have the potential to work when people actually wear them...

It's kind of a somewhat futile exercise to require kids to wear masks in school (if they really were required to wear them) and then have them go maskless after school and while out socializing and at home where family members may have been outside and around others all day without masks.

Exactly, replace "kids" with  "teenagers",and school with "7-11, Makro" and there you have it....absolute  futility! 

Surely, even you can see this now. 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Not a very smart comment to make, maybe wearing masks  is your thing but don't think for a moment that the world is clean of Covid, far from it, i went through the 2-3 year of the Covid period without a hitch but got a very bad one 2 months ago spending 2 weeks in hospital, so there...

Interesting comment as basically the rest of the world isn't wearing masks.

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, jayboy said:

A sentiment quite often expressed during the Covid epidemic, (often accompanied by praise for the drug Ivermectin - now proven to be useless). Many of those propagating this nonsense  - relying on immune system, state of mind etc - did not live to tell the tale because Covid killed them.

All the evidence fortunately suggests the latest strains are less dangerous - but caution should be advised.

I've had covid a few times. My immune system does the work. Get covid and get natural immunity.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I've had covid a few times. My immune system does the work. Get covid and get natural immunity.

Except when you keep getting reinfected because people don't take enough precautions:

Repeat COVID infections appear to predispose patients to disease, death

Repeat SARS-CoV-2 infections confer significant additional risk of adverse multi-organ medical conditions and poor outcomes such as hospitalization, diabetes, kidney disease, mental illness, death, and diseases affecting the lungs, heart, brain, blood, and musculoskeletal systems, suggests a study published yesterday in Nature Medicine.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/covid-19-scan-nov-11-2022

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And 1,000+ people are dying from COVID every week in the U.S. right now, along with 300+ more per week in the U.K., with little mask wearing occurring there despite pleas from the public health authorities.

Is that what you're trying to argue should be the examples to be followed?

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths?areaType=overview&areaName=United Kingdom

https://aseannow.com/topic/1313819-spike-in-covid-cases-as-1000-americans-die-every-week/

So everyone in the world should wear masks until there is no longer a covid-19 virus. Is this what you are saying?

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Sure it does

People who had more than one COVID-19 infection were three times more likely to be hospitalized and twice as likely to die than those who only had one infection. Those with multiple infections were also more vulnerable to other dangerous conditions; they were 3.5 times more likely to develop lung problems, 3 times more likely to have heart conditions, and 1.6 times more likely to have brain changes requiring care than people who had only had COVID-19 once.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Sure it does

People who had more than one COVID-19 infection were three times more likely to be hospitalized and twice as likely to die than those who only had one infection. Those with multiple infections were also more vulnerable to other dangerous conditions; they were 3.5 times more likely to develop lung problems, 3 times more likely to have heart conditions, and 1.6 times more likely to have brain changes requiring care than people who had only had COVID-19 once.

Is this "People who had more than one COVID-19 infection" a typo. Did you mean injection rather than infection?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

I got 3 jabs and in Australia, so no chance they were just rubbish and still got it, what i'm saying is that for some people in some places are still needed...

I had 4 japs in Australia plus the yearly flu jab fortunately no flu or covid yet but even here in Australia you must wear a mask in hospitals or doctor clinics again.

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm saying I choose to take reasonable precautions to protect my health, and wearing a high-quality face mask when outside and among others is not unreasonable for me, especially vs. the risks from COVID.

If you noticed, there really weren't any COVID threads or news reports regarding Thailand cases in the past few months... because weekly new COVID hospitalizations were in the 100s.... But now suddenly in the past two months, that weekly number has skyrocketed to more than 500 per week.

For me, a common sense person would take notice of that kind of change and react accordingly.

Yep. It's seasonal. Still it's 500 from the entire population. I think skyrocketing is somewhat of an alarmist overstatement. What's also seasonal this time of year is a cold. Myself, my wife and others have had something for a few weeks now. Bit hard to shake off. Maybe have some covid at the same time. Go to hospital for the cold symptoms and test positive for covid. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Big Bert said:

I had covid 3 weeks ago and was more of a cough and runny nose. 3 days of raging temperature, coughing my lungs out inflamed sinus. next to no sleep as full body was aches and pain.

But yeah, just move pal.

Sorry to hear you are in the minority, there will always be a few.

For the vast majority in the world, 'yeah, we want to move on pal.'

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1