Move to where? Options following a failed marriage.

notrub

22 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Vietnam needs english teachers. A lot of them pay western salaries as well which are fairly highly paid. Try Hanoi. Some places will arrange a long term visa if you're hired. I would not do it at 75 though, very hectic confused place.

Maybe settle into sleepy Siem Reap and volunteer at one of the orphanages there. There were expats doing that when I lived there.

Funny you mentioned Siem Reap.I've been considering a SHTF alternative to LOS. I've visited several times on bike trips.

Its hard to find out which areas are nice and affordable at thre same time. We've stayed not far from Pub Street before but it's not what you can say "residential". A newer condo rental would suit me just fine.PS: I'm well past the backpacker stage @73.

Just in case.

23 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Funny you mentioned Siem Reap.I've been considering a SHTF alternative to LOS. I've visited several times on bike trips.

Its hard to find out which areas are nice and affordable at thre same time. We've stayed not far from Pub Street before but it's not what you can say "residential". A newer condo rental would suit me just fine.PS: I'm well past the backpacker stage @73.

Just in case.

Right side of the river as you go north from downtown seems to be the best area.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

As far as I am aware you will need a work visa for any volunteer work, I see a few here (KC) on a work visa, "volunteering" for dog rescue centers. Had my dog de-nutted for free a couple of days ago 6 turned up and 2 were falang. 

Not if he goes back to phangan. We dont house the sour nazi types there.

• Confused 3

"Options following a failed marriage."

Where you go and what you do are obviously important questions, like you ask.

But what about a relationship? Do you want to have a new girlfriend or maybe even marry? Or maybe? Or sure not?

I think depending on your idea about that future that will influence the questions which you ask.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend moving to the village of your possible new wife. But I guess if you are in a relationship then maybe it is also important if she wants to live on the beach or near a town and questions like that.

Also think about medical facilities. Where can you go (quickly) if you need a good doctor? 

Thank you for all the comments.  I had not thought about relocating to another country.  It would take some unknown incentive, however, to relaunch a 'right to be there visa' along with relearning all the other things that make a country special. I have the right to live in 3 countries; Canada, UK and France and have a legal relationship with all 3.  That is bank, pension, health care and other stuff that took some effort to establish a link with them to my being a resident here.  I am also on the verge of speaking Thai badly with improvements on the horizon.  My local health care has helped with skin cancer, cataracts and other less serious issues.  It is hard enough to think about even leaving an area that I have come to know during the past 7 years or so without adding a new country to the equation.

I have wasted about 8 years with a woman who is a dedicated narcissist, who lacks imagination and who is also lazy.  A good day is a day without anger.  That is not enough for me.  I do not have many more 8 year  efforts in me these days.

To be clear; if I could meet an honest woman who (whom?) I could trust my questions would be reduced to only a few.  I would happily get stuck in to renovating her home or building a new one for us to live in until I die.  I am a healthy 75 and my parents lived into their 90's so it could be for a while. 

Anybody with a wonderful wife who has an unattached sister?  (only 1/2 joking)  Preferably with interests of some sort other that knitting all day, every day.

Thanks again.  I will read all your suggestions in more detail again and would welcome more ideas with thanks🙏🏼🟡🔵.