The Problem With EVs

josephbloggs

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What a completely bullsh!t test. Two side impacts, when the battery is stored in the front or rear of the vehicle?

Have you bought any bridges in Sydney lately?

Actually, the battery is stored in the middle of the vehicle, below the passenger compartment.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, josephbloggs said:

See my post above. Thank you, and you're welcome.

I am pretty sure even a battery stored in the middle of the vehicle would survive that kind of impact, it's not severe enough. I've seen vehicles almost cut in half by side impacts in real life collisions.

It's reminding me of how Volkswagen fudged the diesel emission figures.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Is that true of every EV on the market?

I think there are a few legacy models that the manufacturer has modded to make them EV, but mostly they are designed from the ground up to only be EV.

GWM/Haval are built on the LEMON platform, I throw that because I thought you would find it amusing.

• Love It 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

I think there are a few legacy models that the manufacturer has modded to make them EV, but mostly they are designed from the ground up to only be EV.

GWM/Haval are built on the LEMON platform, I throw that because I thought you would find it amusing.

I appreciate the irony. No doubt Citroen felt the same.

IIRC GWM got itself in regulatory hot water in Australia when a dealer refused to honor a 5 year warranty, when the vehicle had structural rust after 18 months. ICE vehicle, though.

I am wondering if an EV manufacturer will come up with a new twist - stray current corrosion.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I appreciate the irony. No doubt Citroen felt the same.

IIRC GWM got itself in regulatory hot water in Australia when a dealer refused to honor a 5 year warranty, when the vehicle had structural rust after 18 months. ICE vehicle, though.

I am wondering if an EV manufacturer will come up with a new twist - stray current corrosion.

Or maybe LEMON platform vehicle owners will lose their zest for EV's when they are squeezed by the dealers because they have run out of juice? Taking the Pisps and leave them feeling sour?

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2023 at 1:57 PM, josephbloggs said:

I thought they were pretty well balanced and fair. Would be keen to hear feedback from any open minded anti-EV posters.

I thought they were ridiculous and exemplified the bias and low-level rationality/"science" to be expected from The Guardian.

I'm not "anti-EV" but rather an EV skeptic/realist.

On 12/10/2023 at 1:57 PM, josephbloggs said:

(Yeah yeah, the Guardian, lefty liberal, pushing the woke agenda, blah blah)

Your attempt to preempt reader's complaints about The Guardian betray your own lack of open-mindedness.

Hope we're even now.

14 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

My point was that if a car has been smashed enough to damage the battery the rental company would not be handing it out to the next driver as the car would be so severely damaged as to be unusable. So your argument that EVs are bad because you might rent one and you don't know what the previous renter did to the battery is just nonsensical. You are inventing ridiculously far fetched scenarios each time.

Excuse me, you need to stop frothing at the mouth. I am not the poster who got into an argument with you about renting EV's.

In point of fact, I may rent one when I am in Oz, just for the experience.

46 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If I sold it in the first year I could have sold it at a profit.

Waiting list was 12-18 months at the time.

A secondhand Porsche with a 12-18 months waiting list for a new car is hardly a typical EV.

It is unreasonable to imply that the depreciation you experienced on that is what you can expect with a more mainstream EV. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Excuse me, you need to stop frothing at the mouth. I am not the poster who got into an argument with you about renting EV's.

Let me know when, I love toasted marshmallows… 👍🏼

4 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

My point was that if a car has been smashed enough to damage the battery the rental company would not be handing it out to the next driver as the car would be so severely damaged as to be unusable. So your argument that EVs are bad because you might rent one and you don't know what the previous renter did to the battery is just nonsensical. You are inventing ridiculously far fetched scenarios each time.

That was me inventing ridiculously far fetched scenarios, not Lacessit (who was polite not to take credit).

Damage to the bottom of vehicle - where the battery pack is - would almost certainly be missed by the rental car company.  Ever bottomed out a vehicle on a back road strewn with large, embedded rocks?  I have - as might have a previous rental driver.  

Edited by Lee65
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I was hardly frothing at the mouth, but apologies if I mixed up my replies.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lee65 said:

That was me inventing ridiculously far fetched scenarios, not Lacessit (who was polite not to take credit).

Damage to the bottom of vehicle - where the battery pack is - would almost certainly be missed by the rental car company.  Ever bottomed out a vehicle on a back road strewn with large, embedded rocks?  I have - as might have a previous rental driver.  

I think that given that the battery pack is approx 65%-75% total cost of the vehicle if you include removal of battery pack costs, replacement battery cost's and re-installation of battery pack both the rental agency and the renter should be taking pictures of the battery pack before rental and end of rental

if a rental agency driver slightly damaged the battery pack would they

A) withdraw the vehicle from their stock

B) advised potential renter that the battery pack has sustained minor damage but the damage doesn't affect the vehicle as far as driving or performance

C) doesn't advise potential renter that the battery pack has sustained minor damage but checks and points out to the driver on their return of the vehicle that they will need to submit a claim on their insurance

• Thumbs Up 1