currently stuck in Phuket airport (denied entry)

18 hours ago, siwiek said:

Anyway the IO was lying, no such blacklist stamp in my passport after Air Asia gave it back to me. I think he's trying to hide from legal liability because he knows this entire thing was just Thai temper from losing face after my boarding passes were proven not fake like he accused me of.

You have ignored the question that you were asked a couple of times about whether it was the fact that you were using your phone in a prohibited area that started this incident.  Were you?

You have also ignored the question that you were asked a couple of times about whether it was the fact that you could not produce the B20k cash or equivalent that may have contributed to this incident.  Were you able to do that? 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, siwiek said:

I think he's trying to hide from legal liability because he knows this entire thing was just Thai temper from losing face after my boarding passes were proven not fake like he accused me of.

He would not have any legal liability for denying your entry.  His job gives him that authority!

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, TaoNow said:

This interesting post (and the follow-ups) brings up some important points:

1)  OP wasn't pulled out of the line because of his passport -- since he hadn't even reached the PP Control desk.  So, the content of his PP was not the reason for the initial harrasment.

2) OP had his cell phone out and, presumably turned on -- that is something we can all take note of and be careful to avoid.

3) Based on the later communication with the Immo staff in Bangkok, OP would have been denied entry at any Thai border crossing due to history of "too many" (land-border?) visa-exempt entries.

4)  While that does not excuse the unprofessional behavior of the Phuket Immo officer, it does point to an important fact:

5)  Thai Immo staff are not a welcoming committee.  They are there as gatekeepers. And the officer who screens your passport can deny entry if they suspect you are abusing the visa-exempt entry system.

6) Yes, you can appeal to a higher-up -- but that still does not mean they have to grant you entry.   Ex-pats need to understand that entry to Thailand is not a right -- it is a privilege.

7)  Finally, OP says he has family inThailand.  So, the question is why he (I presume OP is a "he") did not have a family-friendly visa that easily allows entry to visit wife, child, etc.

8)  In sum, Thai Immo seems to be saying:  "Get the proper visa the best suits your reason for being in Thailand --- and keep visa-exempt entry to a minimum."

'Nuff said.

There always gotta be one of you like this. Some of us are not eligible for retirement visas and family can mean a lot more than a wife or child. I don't appreciate the insinuation I'm making selfish decisions for my family. Family is different things to different people.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The IO sounds like an absolute lunatic and most definitely not someone who should be in that position.

I imagine there are many in the forum with the right knowledge and connections in Thailand to put this vermin in his place. 

"I imagine there are many in the forum with the right knowledge and connections in Thailand to put this vermin in his place".

Huh?

6 hours ago, asf6 said:

My guess is that the IO only wanted to see the OP's boarding passes so he knew (and had evidence of) exactly which flight the OP had arrived on, so presumably Immigration could then return the OP from where he came. 

I asked the nice airport staff about this in Kuala Lumpur. They said Phuket has been trying to "hunt" for backpackers that buy tickets to KL from Phuket, never exit the airport immigration and buy a return ticket to Phuket to save money. Now this sounds totally foolish to me but that's their story. Probably why this nutter IO was going nuts on random people in line. I was dressed decently and my travel history all checked out which apparently just made him lose face so like a baby, he decided to double down on sadism and punish me (and a few other innocents, he probably does this every day).

• Confused 2

The Government should set rules on exactly how long visa free/short term visa holders are allowed to stay in Thailand each year. For instance, I know that I’m only allowed to stay in European countries that are in the Schengen zone no more than 90 out of every 180 days. As a frequent traveller to Europe I’m not happy about that, especially as it applies to around 27 countries, but at least there’s a clear rule to follow, and I’m not stressed when I arrive in Rome for yet another holiday.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, siwiek said:

There always gotta be one of you like this. Some of us are not eligible for retirement visas and family can mean a lot more than a wife or child. I don't appreciate the insinuation I'm making selfish decisions for my family. Family is different things to different people.

Whilst family , technically, can mean more than a wife or child, In the context of Visas that's just about all it can mean, and they would need to be Thai Nationals,  For example visiting your non Thai relatives who happen to  be here on holiday would count for nothing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Thailand is not a Christian country, Christmas is not an official holiday, even immigration offices are open, as with banks etc. So why would the officer care? but it does sound like this officer is maybe on  Yabba, with his screaming and shouting behavior init. :coffee1:

I tend to agree with most of what you said. Not sure about the yabba but maybe more of losing his cool because so many foreigners not listening and following instructions after being told repeatedly. Also the screaming and yelling is what's been claimed by the OP but that may be an exaggeration due to his overall issue of being denied. I've heard imm officers have to talk loudly in order to get people's attention in that area as it can become quite chaotic with the large groups arriving all at once, especially some of the tour groups. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, siwiek said:

I asked the nice airport staff about this in Kuala Lumpur. They said Phuket has been trying to "hunt" for backpackers that buy tickets to KL from Phuket, never exit the airport immigration and buy a return ticket to Phuket to save money. Now this sounds totally foolish to me but that's their story. Probably why this nutter IO was going nuts on random people in line. I was dressed decently and my travel history all checked out which apparently just made him lose face so like a baby, he decided to double down on sadism and punish me (and a few other innocents, he probably does this every day).

What rubbish, you cant go from arrivals to departures in any airport without going through immigration, and that includes a transit lounge. How are people checking in for their return flight ?

Your travel history did not check out, by your own admission you have spent several months in Thailand this year, and reached your limit for land border crossings. Not sure how that makes the immigration guy lose face.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, asf6 said:

I wonder if we have misunderstood what the OP meant when he wrote "picks me out of the line". Perhaps the OP was actually at the immigration desk at the time the IO spoke to him and then the IO took the OP from there to somewhere else - rather than being in the middle of a queue and suddenly being pulled out. Being at the desk would make more sense because the IO would have the OP's travel history in front of him and would be more likely to be in a position deem denial of entry would be best. 

@siwiek Can you clarify the situation and confirm if you were actually at the IO's desk at the time he took you aside, please? 

I was near the front of the line and started hearing commotion because multiple IOs were telling people to double check their return flights. Dozens of people started checking their phones and this supervisor IO started running around like their was blood in the wind. He briefly slowed down and asked me why I was letting others go first and I said I was checking my return flight date, which I had reserved but not paid for yet. This is because in many years of visiting Thailand I have never been asked for return ticket before and I often extend my stay. He politely told me to ensure my ticket was before January 9 if possible.

Suddenly the supervisor IO started screaming at various people and then turned and looked at me and said "follow me" the rest is history.

I was not taking photos or being disrespectful. I was dressed in nice pants and a designer T shirt and cap. I'm tall, good looking and polite. Thai women tend to like me. I hope this is enough personal info guys....

P.s. phones are not prohibited in immigration lines, that's crazy. It's only prohibited to be taking photos and videos of the area or IOs.

Edited by siwiek
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

The Government should set rules on exactly how long visa free/short term visa holders are allowed to stay in Thailand each year. 

They have. Citizens of certain countries can arrive by air in Thailand with VFE as often as they like. The problem is the huge discretionary power of the IOs (unlike Europe) and their practice to "allow" entry based on their childish mood swings, denial quotas(?), perceptions of foreigners, and (sometimes) expectation of a bribe...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dan O said:

I tend to agree with most of what you said. Not sure about the yabba but maybe more of losing his cool because so many foreigners not listening and following instructions after being told repeatedly. 

Yes, after all, that's what tourists come to Thailand for; being drilled and commandeered around like prisoners...

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, siwiek said:

I was near the front of the line and started hearing commotion because multiple IOs were telling people to double check their return flights. Dozens of people started checking their phones and this supervisor IO started running around like their was blood in the wind. He briefly slowed down and asked me why I was letting others go first and I said I was checking my return flight date, which I had reserved but not paid for yet. This is because in many years of visiting Thailand I have never been asked for return ticket before and I often extend my stay. He politely told me to ensure my ticket was before January 9 if possible.

So you were picked out of line because you looked suspicious by being stopped and letting people go in front of you, and you did not have an onward flight which is mandatory for a visa exempt entry.

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

They have. Citizens of certain countries can arrive by air in Thailand with VFE as often as they like.

But is there a rule on total length of stay each year? I can arrive in the Euro Schengen area as often as I like, but there’s a clear 90 of 180 days length of stay rule. (Your userID suggests you’re well qualified in this area!)

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, after all, that's what tourists come to Thailand for; being drilled and commandeered around like prisoners...

Being directed thru the immigration hall to proper process points is hardly being " drilled or commandeered like prisioners" , especially given how many different languages are spoken or understood. I'd love to see you try and deal with that chaos of mass incoming people that don't have a clue what to do or where to go and don't speak the language fluently Nd aren't listening  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1