Boeing 787 emergency dive: Gulf Air flight’s shocking diversion to Bangkok sparks panic

webfact

3 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

There is no such living soul. Its a made up AI name.

Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Born in Hong Kong, Puntid moved to Bangkok in September 2020 to pursue further studies in translation. She holds a Bachelor's degree in Comparative Literature from the University of Hong Kong. Puntid has also spent 8 years living in Manchester, UK where she studied high school. Before joining The Thaiger, Puntid has been a freelance translator for 2 years. In her free time, she enjoys swimming and listening to music, as well as writing short fiction and poetry.

https://thethaiger.com/author/puntid

A 1,500+ Km divert?! :blink: This made me search for the longest divert in history and it happened in 2011 when a Qantas 747 (Flight 8) flying from Dallas, Texas to Brisbane, Australia had to divert to Auckland, New Zealand (Almost 2,300km away) due to severe thunderstorms over Brisbane. So this is not far from the record. To me it's absurd you have to divert so far away, unnecessary risks. 

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Diverting from Dhaka to Bangkok and running into fuel shortage?

Is much closer Calcutta enemy territory, no fly zone?

Maybe a good idea to see what ground level vis was like in the rest of the Bay of Bengal region before we decide which was the appropriate diversion to take.......maybe Calcutta was socked in as well?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Diverting from Dhaka to Bangkok and running into fuel shortage?

Is much closer Calcutta enemy territory, no fly zone?

Maybe a good idea to see what ground level vis was like in the rest of the Bay of Bengal region before we decide which was the appropriate diversion to take.......maybe Calcutta and others were socked in as well?

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The gripping incident unfolded as the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, flight A9C-FE, grappled with foggy mayhem and fuel crises.

A Gulf Air Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, en route from Bahrain to Dhaka, plunged into a nail-biting emergency over Bangkok.

What an utter load of BS. Talk about over egging a news report, pathetic. 

59 minutes ago, JGon said:

To me it's absurd you have to divert so far away, unnecessary risks. 

GF flight ops, in Bahrain and the Captain were messaging options. The Captain chose the BKK diversion.

Cloud deck was at or below the carrier's minimums (500 feet?). 

BKK was probably the closest, best option given GF has a presence, and could handle passengers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

GF flight ops, in Bahrain and the Captain were messaging options. The Captain chose the BKK diversion.

Cloud deck was at or below the carrier's minimums (500 feet?). 

BKK was probably the closest, best option given GF has a presence, and could handle passengers.

Probably... let see:

1. Kolkata, India: Approximately 239.14 kilometers away. (Weather was probably similar being so close)

2. Kathmandu, Nepal: Approximately 661.44 kilometers away. (Yeah... no way to try that on a 787)

3. Yangon, Myanmar: Approximately 973.40 kilometers away. (Ha I'm not going to a country with a civil war)

4. Bangkok, Thailand: Approximately 1565.25 kilometers away. (ding ding ding we have a winner)

5. Colombo, Sri Lanka: Approximately 2158.95 kilometers away (Bangkok is closer and better)

After researching, I now see why they choose Bangkok. There are not that many options in this part of the World.

Edited by JGon

12 minutes ago, JGon said:

Probably... let see:

1. Kolkata, India: Approximately 239.14 kilometers away. (Weather was probably similar being so close)

2. Kathmandu, Nepal: Approximately 661.44 kilometers away. (Yeah... no way to try that on a 787)

3. Yangon, Myanmar: Approximately 973.40 kilometers away. (Ha I'm not going to a country with a civil war)

4. Bangkok, Thailand: Approximately 1565.25 kilometers away. (ding ding ding we have a winner)

5. Colombo, Sri Lanka: Approximately 2158.95 kilometers away (Bangkok is closer and better)

After researching, I now see why they choose Bangkok. There are not that many options in this part of the World.

There are many airports in India though he could have landed

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, hydraides said:

There are many airports in India though he could have landed

According to ChatGPT:

While India has many major airports, not all of them may be practical or optimal for diversion in every situation. For instance, airports in the eastern part of India, like Kolkata, are much closer to Dhaka and might be preferred for diversions due to proximity. Airports further away, like those in Mumbai or Delhi, while fully capable of handling a Boeing 787, might not be the first choice for diversion unless specific circumstances, such as the nature of the emergency, airline operations, or airspace restrictions, dictate otherwise.

So it gave me those 5 choices earlier. Maybe is wrong... or maybe is just not feasible to fly to any of this airports in India:

Indira Gandhi International Airport (Delhi)

Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (Mumbai)

Kempegowda International Airport (Bengaluru)

Chennai International Airport (Chennai)

Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport (Kolkata)

Rajiv Gandhi International Airport (Hyderabad)

Cochin International Airport (Kochi)

Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport (Ahmedabad)

Goa International Airport (Goa)

Pune International Airport (Pune)

Thiruvananthapuram International Airport (Thiruvananthapuram)

Jaipur International Airport (Jaipur)

Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport (Lucknow)

Calicut International Airport (Kozhikode)

Mangalore International Airport (Mangalore)

Coimbatore International Airport (Coimbatore)

Visakhapatnam Airport (Visakhapatnam)

Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport (Nagpur)

Biju Patnaik International Airport (Bhubaneswar)

Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport (Guwahati)

Chandigarh International Airport (Chandigarh)

Vadodara Airport (Vadodara)

Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee International Airport (Amritsar)

Surat International Airport (Surat)

Bagdogra International Airport (Siliguri)

Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport (Varanasi)

Devi Ahilya Bai Holkar Airport (Indore)

Gaya Airport (Gaya)

Dabolim Airport (Vasco da Gama)

Madurai Airport (Madurai)

Crazy! a 1,500 km divert is a better option. :blink:

1 hour ago, norfolkandchance said:

What would you choose. Night stop in Myanmar or Bangkok. On Rates.

It is not what I would have chosen, it is what Gulf Air chose.

I suppose it depends on the cost to the company and whether they have a base and/or facilities in Myanmar, the cost of the extra fuel in the 2 countries and as it was a daytime flight, it is unlikely that they would need overnight accommodation.

All that will come from the airline profits. It would have been a management decision made in Bahrain in consultation with the flight crew. Did they have enough and some loiter time fuel as the diversion was supposedly 1,xxx km away. In addition there would have been a question of the aircrew flight hours.

It happened to me once when we couldn't land at Port Moresby due to high crosswinds in Papua New Guinea and the nearest diversion airfield was in Australia, Darwin I think. They had to get another aircraft and crew to fly to Darwin with a second crew to fly us back to Port Moresby. We got a free meal in Darwin airport and an apology from the airline.

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

That's hardly surprising if it had been fuelled for the journey from Bahrain to Dhaka, and ended up in Bangkok, 1,500 km further on!

Especially after being in a hold over Dhaka for an hour ... and then also looking like they briefly thought about Chittagong before diverting to BKK. They declared the emergency as soon as they crossed into Thai airspace. Almost looks like they may have been originally looking to divert in DMK but then went for SVB.

Would be interesting to know the full story - especially why they didn't divert to Kolkata which I think has ILS Cat IIIA/B not quite 'land in the blind' but pretty close).

image.jpeg.e6ba5ad3f101b6906679580fe07894ce.jpeg

image.jpeg.107c61f3b8b114aacec218d5a25bcbdf.jpeg

• Like 1