I Should Have Known Better.

giddyup

23 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

It worked until it didn't. You made a mistake which everyone does every now but now you have no recourse, you can't get your money back. If you always paid by card and never accepted COD deliveries it wouldn't happen. Yes it has nothing to do with Lazada. It has all to do with being used to COD. Paying by card is safer and more convenient.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Don't know how many times I have to admit to it being my fault, but I will still continue to use COD. I'm out of pocket a whopping 280 baht, my god I'll have to start a gofundme page.

Edited by giddyup
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Apparently I'm too old for a Thai credit card and using my country card too often might raise a few flags there.

Also I don't use apps so I guess a debit card to my Thai bank isn't on either.

I'll stick with COD as I think the risks of that are less than the risks of the ones mentioned above

You don't need a credit card. Just use a debit card. Using a foreign card raises no flags, no-one cares but it would probably incur additional costs for currency conversion etc.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Don't know how many times I have to admit to it being my fault, but I will still continue to use COD. I'm out of pocket a whopping 280 baht, my god I'll have to start a gofundme page.

I'm not blaming you for having made the mistake, again I commend you for posting this. What I just don't understand is the insistence on COD when easier and safer options are readily available. Each to their own I guess? :coffee1:

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

You don't need a credit card. Just use a debit card. Using a foreign card raises no flags, no-one cares but it would probably incur additional costs for currency conversion etc.

If that's the case from what I read why are Barclays closing lots of expat accounts.

Better safe than sorry is my motto and being scammed for a couple of hundred baht is far less painful than being asked to close down my country bank account.

29 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I'm not blaming you for having made the mistake, again I commend you for posting this. What I just don't understand is the insistence on COD when easier and safer options are readily available. Each to their own I guess? :coffee1:

I'm a creature of habit.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

If that's the case from what I read why are Barclays closing lots of expat accounts.

Better safe than sorry is my motto and being scammed for a couple of hundred baht is far less painful than being asked to close down my country bank account.

Again, just use a Thai debit card. Dead simple. I have no idea why Barclays are closing accounts but I doubt it's because someone bought stuff on Lazada with their card and as I said it's not a smart idea anyways because of additional fees. Life can be easy if people just make it easy for themselves.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stocky said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This always sparks debate

What's to debate, I just explained how it works in this household. If you have a faulty memory, and/or you wife and kids don't talk to you, sure prepayment is probably best. 

Not sure what you've been reading - but there is already discussion about pros and cons of CoD vs direct pyment via the App...

My Wife and I have better things do talk about than whether or not a phone case is going to be delivered today or tomorrow and whether its CoD... better things to do with our time than to wait around for it too... 

Each to their own..  But yes, I also forget, perhaps because my memory is faulty and I have other more important things on my mind,  I really don't want to think or bother about unnecessary stuff that I may have ordered recently - it arrives when it arrives and thats as much as I ever need to think about it.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I'll say it once more. Been using COD to pay Lazada for at least 10 years and never had a problem. 

Except you just did have a problem.

Because it works for me. I've literally had hundreds of items from Lazada delivered this way without a problem. Today's scam is nothing to do with Lazada.

So would just direct settlement through the App..   

Each to their own of course and this is entirely someones own choice... But I do wonder what it is that makes some people so distrusting of the online payment system that they'd use CoD instead.

If Lazada didn't have a CoD system in place, would you not use Lazada ?

Not arguing that you should use direct settlement through the App, just curious about why... from a 'people watching' point of view more than anything else. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I have no idea why Barclays are closing accounts but I doubt it's because someone bought stuff on Lazada with their card

Barclays is closing account from expats for the same reason other European banks do the same.

My Belgian bank account, which I had for over 30 years, and which I never used in Thailand and had a steady sufficient balance, was closed 2 - 3 years ago simply because I live in Thailand.

Other expats had their accounts also closed, since there was an email from my embassy that they had asked the bank for answers.

To open an account with another bank in Belgium so I could move the balance wasn't an easy task either.

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'll say it once more. Been using COD to pay Lazada for at least 10 years and never had a problem. 

Except you just did have a problem.

Yep, he just had his first problem after using COD for 10 years.

I use COD all the time, apart from a very few times when using wallet would give me an extra discount, but I will not do that again.

Once I ordered a motorcycle battery and paid with the wallet.

I always follow the delivery status on the lazada website, so i knew the battery would b delivered that day, and since I work from home I am rarely absent.

So I was waiting for the delivery, which didn't arrive, until I checked again and the status was delivered.

So I called Lazada and informed them there was no delivery. After a while I received a call back that the delivery person had decided to leave the battery on top of my letterbox, no calls, no doorbell.

I have 2 doorbells by the way.

Of course, when I went outside to check, the parcel was gone. What else you expect?

It took me quite some discussion to get it refunded, and Lazada didn't take any responsibility, because the refund came from the local logistics.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Yep, he just had his first problem after using COD for 10 years.

I use COD all the time, apart from a very few times when using wallet would give me an extra discount, but I will not do that again.

Once I ordered a motorcycle battery and paid with the wallet.

I always follow the delivery status on the lazada website, so i knew the battery would b delivered that day, and since I work from home I am rarely absent.

So I was waiting for the delivery, which didn't arrive, until I checked again and the status was delivered.

So I called Lazada and informed them there was no delivery. After a while I received a call back that the delivery person had decided to leave the battery on top of my letterbox, no calls, no doorbell.

I have 2 doorbells by the way.

Of course, when I went outside to check, the parcel was gone. What else you expect?

It took me quite some discussion to get it refunded, and Lazada didn't take any responsibility, because the refund came from the local logistics.

That is the one advantage of CoD over normal delivery that I can see...  as I keep saying its down to individual preference. 

With most of our deliveries there is a very high probability of us not being in when a delivery is made, so they always leave it at the porch.

One day, things will go missing I'm sure. 

We even leave returns on the Porch for the delivery guys to come and pick up - its just easier that way. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That is the one advantage of CoD over normal delivery that I can see...  as I keep saying its down to individual preference. 

With most of our deliveries there is a very high probability of us not being in when a delivery is made, so they always leave it at the porch.

One day, things will go missing I'm sure. 

We even leave returns on the Porch for the delivery guys to come and pick up - its just easier that way. 

The difference between you and me is that I don't live in a gated community.

I have a house along a public road, with a 2-meter-high perimeter wall, so nobody can reach my porch. I'm sure I'm not the only one living in a house like that

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BenStark said:

The difference between you and me is that I don't live in a gated community.

I have a house along a public road, with a 2-meter-high perimeter wall, so nobody can reach my porch. I'm sure I'm not the only one living in a house like that

Yup.. I can definitely understand that..   

I'd probably do the same, although, if in a similar situation we'd probably order much much less than we do because of the potential inconvenience of having to be there.

That said, there are 'delivery box' type things that can be built into the wall or fixed at the entrance to prevent porch pirates (obviously then we are limited to size etc) - I might go with something like that in a similar situation to you, just so I don't have to make sure I'm in every time I want to receive a delivery.

IMO - the idea of delivery is to add convenience of not having to go to the shops etc... but if I'm inconvenienced by having to stay in and wait for a delivery, it kind of defeats the object - the 'delivery box' navigates that issue.

6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Well, thats pretty easy to solve. Look on the app and see what you ordered. It has the price and delivery date there. It's not rocket science, Einstein.

Do you have a brain? You can't even get a delivery.

Uncalled for. No need to be to be obnoxious when the guy is only asking for advice. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, V8M8 said:

Uncalled for. No need to be to be obnoxious when the guy is only asking for advice. 

I'm sorry to the Op that I went off the rail here. I'm sensitive about people complaining about small things like this. Reminds me of family problems with a relative I have who loses the TV remote control all the time and makes a big deal over it. Sorry.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, GarryP said:

When I paid an order in advance on Lazada and the order was canceled by the seller, I got the refund to the wallet and, like you, to this day I haven't been able to withdraw it. Stopped using Lazada because of that. Use Shopee a lot now and pay in advance and not had any problems at all. 

Same thing, gave up in the end and don't use them anymore, IMO it's not a proper refund if going to the 'money wallet'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

I order quite often from Lazada, in fact awaiting three small items at the moment, nothing worth more than 130 Baht. Courier just turned up and said has a parcel for 280 baht, but I have ordered nothing of that amount. Against my better judgement I paid the courier and opened the box and found a grubby used nylon jacket, worth maybe 20 baht. I don't know where these scammers get my name and address, but lesson learned and they won't catch me again.

They might get your name and address, and phone number too, from Lazada parcels/labels. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, giddyup said:

I order quite often from Lazada, in fact awaiting three small items at the moment, nothing worth more than 130 Baht. Courier just turned up and said has a parcel for 280 baht, but I have ordered nothing of that amount. Against my better judgement I paid the courier and opened the box and found a grubby used nylon jacket, worth maybe 20 baht. I don't know where these scammers get my name and address, but lesson learned and they won't catch me again.

I have been receiving several orders a day for this month well over  20k in items have had only one problem with a forgotten item on the truck.  I even have my lab fetch the items from the delivery van to my door.

May I suggest you pay for your items in advance on your credit card. Just a mistake in your part because not knowing Thai not a scam. There I have had my morning bitch with two people on here sprouting nonsense out of their mouths.  

Edited by arick

17 hours ago, Stocky said:

Nothing wrong with using COD just remember what you've ordered and how much the item is. If you didn't order it, don't accept the delivery.

Common sense, really. I don't understand those who say they can't remember if they ordered anything or not. And a parcel arriving when you haven't ordered anything is a red flag - I read of a woman who did that and it turned out to be drugs that her dealer boyfriend had ordered and she was jailed as an accessory. It might have been in Thailand but I can't remember for sure. If you don't remember if you ordered anything then you have no idea what is in the box.

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I'm sorry to the Op that I went off the rail here. I'm sensitive about people complaining about small things like this. Reminds me of family problems with a relative I have who loses the TV remote control all the time and makes a big deal over it. Sorry.

I wasn't complaining, I accepted full responsibility for accepting and paying for something I hadn't ordered, hence the "I should have known better". I ignored your rudeness because I know some people just take pleasure in belittling others.

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

I would never accept and pay for something i hadn't ordered. Why would anyone do that?

7 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I would never accept and pay for something i hadn't ordered. Why would anyone do that?

Already explained why. I can't help you with understanding it.

Edited by giddyup

I order always COD, after the order you get a email as well confirming the order and amount, next day check the order status on Lazada if sent put exact  money in a clear small bag  ready......  12.12 was sale day, ordered 3 items, all money put in bags, 1x item 213 baht delivered yesterday, another has been picked up by delivery service, the other is out for delivery, maybe today is 758 baht...

The COD scam ? is not always for little amounts, couple of years ago had a delivery guy arrive with a parcel COD for 4,750 baht.... had a few over the years of small amounts 2 - 300 baht..  Nothing I ordered so did not accept or pay, often wonder what was it in these parcels and how many others got the same and paid

• Thumbs Up 1

I just use my no foreign transaction fee UK credit card for all my Lazada purchases. It saves having to wait in, it stops any scams. Works perfect every time. Cant use on Shopee though which means I dont use them. Obvously the people getting scammed either don't understand or don't bother looking at the item tracking. In our experience we get a call from the delivery driver prior to every delivery. Get scammed its your own fault.

15 hours ago, Negita43 said:

UK credit cards are a different beast to UK banks. Using a no fee UK credit card raises no flags. They expect you to use abroad thats what they are for. I use mine all the time for years now.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yup.. I can definitely understand that..   

I'd probably do the same, although, if in a similar situation we'd probably order much much less than we do because of the potential inconvenience of having to be there.

That said, there are 'delivery box' type things that can be built into the wall or fixed at the entrance to prevent porch pirates (obviously then we are limited to size etc) - I might go with something like that in a similar situation to you, just so I don't have to make sure I'm in every time I want to receive a delivery.

IMO - the idea of delivery is to add convenience of not having to go to the shops etc... but if I'm inconvenienced by having to stay in and wait for a delivery, it kind of defeats the object - the 'delivery box' navigates that issue.

I know you definitely want to have the last word, but let's try.

I'm at home most of the time, because that is where I live.

Delivery guys always call before they come, so if I'm not at home, I can tell them when I will be at home.

Last resort, J&T - Kerry and flash express warehouses are all within 2km from my house, so I can go pickup there.

As you will have seen from my post history, Flash hasn't delivered a single order to my residence in the last 12 months at least.

Glad I didn't pay them upfront and had to go through the hassle of claiming a refund for something that wasn't delivered

• Agree 1