Anutin Orders Strict New Year Road Safety Measures

webfact

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do.

They have been doing that in Thailand for over 30 years,   Its on TV every day ,  otherwise known as "The News"  Its has had absolutely no effect whatsoever 

12 minutes ago, Bungle00 said:

For a country that has such bad drink driving stats I am surprised there isn’t a big campaign to get those that will be driving to maybe switch to non alcoholic beers.  In Europe literally every brand of beer now has an equivalent “0” version. Stella is my favourite . Here we got Heineken or Budweiser which are both awful.

It not just about alcohol, many of them are just as bad sober, In order for alcohol to cloud ones judgement, one has to have judgement in the first place

3 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Check everybody not for tax but drivers licence,

Bearing in mind what it takes to pass a driving test, It doesn't make any difference whether they have a driving licence or not. It is certainly not evidence of driving competence 

5 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

and nothing will change/improve... and anyone who has ever had to get a thai DL knows why. Thais are terrible drivers, terribly educated/training on how to drive safely, for starters. 

The worst thing is that the majority  of Thai drivers lack common sense, and that is more important than any education or training where driving is concerned.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Every year the same thing they sit in the tents they drink coffee smoke cigarettes, plan their phone how is that preventing road? Accidents amazing TIT

How can it be the same as every year?

It's a new initiative, it only started last year and reaches its goal in 2027.

So that's 5 more years of dicking around on their phones, 5 more years of photo ops and they change the name from "Road Safety Master Plan" to something a little different.

A cunning plan.

Edited by recom273

6 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Until the police get out on the roads doing the job they are paid to do and not sitting in their huts and tents

The RTP are doing the job that they are paid to do, the government does not provide the police stations with enough budget, patrol vehicles, fuel, etc., to go out and patrol, which is presumably what you want to see.

This clown would be on the mental health list in a western country. However, he's top of the tree here but then think about what creatures give way in the wild to allow such positions.

However...in his defence, nobody can change the mindset of this lot. I've never been taught to swim safely in a riptide but seeing enough people drown in them tells me to avoid the situation. Out here, they see accidents, death, destruction everyday on the roads and on the news and yet they continue to drive like idiots. They'll never change until you hit them hard in the pocket. Impound the vehicles and issue hefty fines or even imprison the holes who endanger or kill others.

He introduced a theme....a theme to stop people killing each other once again! How can you treat people like adults when you're dealing with morons? Let's play a game...we all love games...let's not kill people so much. Funny....funny....game.

How about...our BIB gave been told to get as much cash as they can from bad driving? We're aiming to raise billions from fining you then taking your vehicles from you and selling them because you won't afford the fine? 

TAT has given up making an income increase so we'll make it up from the pockets of any drunk, wreckless and illegal driving. 365....we're going to get rich and you'll be without wheels.

4 hours ago, roger101 said:

Every day while riding my motorbike in Pattaya I see loads of moving traffic violations. Ones which if you did in England you would get pulled over for (and probably breathalyzed). If I can see them every day how come the Thai Police can't?

Does Thailand have traffic police patrols like the UK does?   That's why they can't see them, the police are provided no budget for UK-like patrols.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, 2baht said:

The police do their jobs, if you haven't worked it out, that's what they do! :whistling: The only people who seem to care are apologetic expats, the Thai's don't care, if they did they would drive more carefully! If you are worried about road safety, take a plane!

Pretty much summed it up,  It is what it is (and always has been) clearly only a minor concern for the government and the general population. Until that changes nothing else will. It will remain as one of the negative aspects of living here. 

As an expat there are a few options, 1)   Drive very carefully and defensively,   2) Sell the car and adjust one's lifestyle accordingly, or , if its a real game changer, 3) Move elsewhere   not much else we can do, except whinge about it on here

Personally I prefer option 1 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Snig27 said:

What's the bet it will still be target a pedestrian on every crossing in Thailand. Has a single person been charged with not stopping on a crossing the year it's a 4000B fine? Of course not.

Have you ever tried actually stopping at a pedestrian crossing ? Nobody actually expects you to stop, even pedestrians , except  for a few naive first time tourists, will stand there waiting for you to pass whilst looking at you as if you are stupid.   The chances are you will get rear ended, and it will cost you a lot more than 4000 baht if the police get involved.  

8 hours ago, dallen52 said:

22 a day. 

14,737 people lost their lives on the road in 2022, with 924,799 injuries reported.

Bold target. 

I find the injured counts here to be horrifying, there is only 67 million people here, 1 million people are injured in car/motorcycle accidents every year in Thailand. If those numbers don't scare them, I don't what will.

48 minutes ago, Barnet1900 said:

How about...our BIB gave been told to get as much cash as they can from bad driving? We're aiming to raise billions from fining you then taking your vehicles from you and selling them because you won't afford the fine? 

TAT has given up making an income increase so we'll make it up from the pockets of any drunk, wreckless and illegal driving. 365....we're going to get rich and you'll be without wheels.

That's pretty much what has happened in the UK  The motorist is under attack from every angle, Its not fun to own a car anymore I would rather drive here. At least I can devote my concentration 100% to avoiding other drivers as opposed to worrying about  Speed cameras, ANPR cameras, ULEZ zones, 20mph limits, Permanent traffic jams,  Miles and miles of coned off motorways with no work  being carried out.  don't get me started on the so called smart motorways with no hard shoulder,  and potholes everywhere that would put Thailand to shame. etc etc etc 

I know where I would rather be , and here I am

3 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

That's pretty much what has happened in the UK  The motorist is under attack from every angle, Its not fun to own a car anymore I would rather drive here. At least I can devote my concentration 100% to avoiding other drivers as opposed to worrying about  Speed cameras, ANPR cameras, ULEZ zones, 20mph limits, Permanent traffic jams,  Miles and miles of coned off motorways with no work  being carried out.  don't get me started on the so called smart motorways with no hard shoulder,  and potholes everywhere that would put Thailand to shame. etc etc etc 

I know where I would rather be , and here I am

I'd rather be back in the USA, I lived in a small town in the Northeast (w/potholes), but I was driving a brand new fully loaded Jeep Rubicon before I came here, it made winter FUN! I miss the slow life back there, Bangkok is like living in Hell to me, I would trade in a heartbeat if my wife and daughter would agree to leave. As you can see, I lost that battle so far, still holding out hope for a miracle though.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I'd rather be back in the USA, I lived in a small town in the Northeast (w/potholes), but I was driving a brand new fully loaded Jeep Rubicon before I came here, it made winter FUN! I miss the slow life back there, Bangkok is like living in Hell to me, I would trade in a heartbeat if my wife and daughter would agree to leave. As you can see, I lost that battle so far, still holding out hope for a miracle though.

Can't argue with that either, I avoid Bangkok like the plague both as a motorist and pedestrian. I can't think of any better analogy than "living in hell"

Hope you find a way out

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Does Thailand have traffic police patrols like the UK does?   That's why they can't see them, the police are provided no budget for UK-like patrols.

I doubt they have the money to fund UK style patrol's.  And looking at the responses  to the threads on here relating to the possible proposed changes to the tax burden that may be placed on ex-pats. few are willing to contribute.

Would that change if the money was destined to be used solely for a road safety upgrade or to put more traffic cops on the road.   ?      Of course not

Edited by Bday Prang

They don't really care at the top end.

Having spoken at length to both a Highway Patrol & ordinary policeman both made it very clear, they do not have the budget nor is it forthcoming for fuel to have patrol cars/pickups on the roads on a regular basis.

7 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Pretty much summed it up,  It is what it is (and always has been) clearly only a minor concern for the government and the general population. Until that changes nothing else will. It will remain as one of the negative aspects of living here. 

As an expat there are a few options, 1)   Drive very carefully and defensively,   2) Sell the car and adjust one's lifestyle accordingly, or , if its a real game changer, 3) Move elsewhere   not much else we can do, except whinge about it on here

Personally I prefer option 1 

Agree totally :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

They have been doing that in Thailand for over 30 years,   Its on TV every day ,  otherwise known as "The News"  Its has had absolutely no effect whatsoever 

It's hard to feel any empathy for them!

On 12/14/2023 at 5:04 AM, webfact said:

3. Law Enforcement: Strictly enforce related laws, enhance awareness, instill a sense of responsibility in society, and ensure continuous implementation.

They will fall at the starting post just reading number 3.

Law enforcement.....A laughable joke.

Enhance awareness......Thai's know everything.......Even my Wife one day after getting a licence told me It was ok to go through a red light if no-one is crossing or in front of you.

Instill a sense of responsibility in society.......Never here with the Me, Me, Me, attitude.

Continuous implementation.......Maybe something like the seat belts on buses after the last horrific accident.....implemented for about a week.....How many people were wearing belts in the latest accident, and how many belts were actually working. 

As SpiderMike points out, there is no will to do anything as the masses do not matter. As always, a knee jerk reaction to look as if they care, to look to be doing something. It will take a least a generation to rid these roads of the idiots on them, and even then I think that is optimistic. 

In the meantime, again, to quote SpiderMike, take care, drive with four pairs of eyes, and most important rule ( which is the first thing I was taught when learning to drive).....Treat every one else on the road as if they were an idiot. 

SWopm,e sensible suggestions, but all it will really m,ean is M ORE Pooice Officers sitting under tents looking at phones while the cars etc speed by. Only emerging AFTER an accident or problem.

BOOTS on the ground , visible presence , randomly stopping all transport  and checking . something never seen here and that is one reason why I never travel on most public transport unless it is a train. 

2 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Havent we heard the same every NewYear for at least the past 10 yrs. The slaughter on the roads carries on unabated. Its amost like Thai people dont give a sh*t but that couldnt be true could it ?

Its not   "ALMOST"  like they don't give a stuff, they actually genuinely don't and here's the proof....

If they cared they would petition the government in sufficient numbers, demanding that something would be done, if there was still no improvement the calls for change would  continue,  eventually some clever politicians would realise it was a vote winner  and it would be included in their manifesto. This to my knowledge has never happened,  

Consider this, at election time one political party campaigns  strongly on road safety, guaranteeing an improvement ,  but when questioned how they will finance it, they are forced to admit that there will be costs involved, so a small increase in tax will be required, or money will at least have to be diverted from other populist projects.Or maybe funded by a significant increase in punitive fines for traffic violations.   

The opposition on the other hand simply promises to hand out 10,000 baht to every Thai over 16 years of age, funded by a  similar, but slightly  increase in income tax.  Who do you think would get the most votes ?    

Bearing in mind that they don't even care enough to  have petitioned the existing government, the answer is  obvious  at least to the politicians

That pretty much is how things work,  isn't it?      I'm pretty certain that there is more concern expressed about this subject on this forum than on all other Thai social media put together,  the   Thai  "netizens" whilst generally outraged about just about everything, are conspicuously quiet about road safety.

The only ones who care enough to complain vocally are a few ex-pats on here, any of those who think the government cares what they think is sadly  mistaken,  ex pats are not part of the electoral process, no need to worry what they want

QED   as they say

Quote " stricter control over the sale of alcoholic beverages to individuals under 18 and urged citizens to plan their drinking responsibly ". This amounts to asking a fish to climb a tree.   And on the other hand they decide to open bars etc...until 6am for the new year's eve (which i have nothing against in itself) which "slightly" increases the drinking window for many giving them enough time and solid ethanol blood levels to pass out at the wheel....Well, it seems that the guys at the head of this country, who are supposed to drive it diligently and responsibly for the sake of its citizens, have already passed out at the wheel of power a long time ago. ah but yeah...I forgot...they can afford good sober drivers in comfortable mega vans...

On 12/14/2023 at 8:00 AM, herfiehandbag said:

Big blue tent, check.

Internet access, check.

Coffee service, check.

Plenty of volunteer auxiliaries for the night shift , and when the enthusiasm and/or overtime budget run low, check.

Good to go!

Sure you didn't mean

Tent - Check

Internet - Check

Booze - Check

Seen quite a few with half empty whiskey bottles on the table.

Also on normal days 3 or 4 traffic officers in uniform at lunch consuming a bottle of whiskey between them and then going on duty to make sure there is nobody driving under the influence.

15 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Huh?  11 million visitors to Thailand in 2022, well over 20 million so far this year...that looks like a substantial increase year-on-year, not a reduction.

2019, 40 million give or take a few!

I find it hard to believe those that claim we have had 20 million visitors this year to date. Yes almost 9 million in the first 4 months but low season numbers came early and even August wasn't great, hotels chains sing a different tune to the authorities and I know who I would believe!

Maybe there has been close to 20 million arrivals which includes returning residents, border runs and thais returning home  but thats not visitors!