Electric dreams charge ahead: Aiming for a ‘shocking’ 359,000 EVs in the next year

webfact

image.jpeg

Aiming for a substantial boost in their electric vehicle (EV) production, Thai authorities have set a target of 359,000 units for the coming year. This ambitious plan is supported by a 39.5 billion baht investment, as confirmed by industry insiders.

The Office of Industrial Economics (OIE) is optimistic that the state’s EV policy, coupled with incentives for investment, will lead to an uptick in production. Warawan Chitaroon, the OIE’s director-general, highlighted the positive impact of the EV3.0 scheme, which has already stimulated demand for EVs in Thailand. Warawan stated that the new EV3.5 scheme is expected to further encourage EV investment and manufacturing.

The EV3.0 scheme provided a host of incentives, including tax cuts and subsidies, to boost both EV consumption and production for the period of 2022 to this year. Depending on the vehicle type and model, subsidies ranged from 70,000 baht to 150,000 baht.

Additionally, this scheme reduced excise taxes and import duties on completely knocked-down and completely built-up units. As part of their commitment to this initiative, participating automobile manufacturers agreed to begin their production of EVs in Thailand from next year onwards.

by Alex Morgan 

PHOTO: via et auto

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-12-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Likely a mockup.

The Polestar 4 has no rear window using a camera in its place. Tesla features an eight camera setup that includes one in each door pillar. 

Wow! I thought it was a real car. Mind you you would have to be pretty small to get into it. Of course it might be AI in action.

I hope they are mainly for export.

The current energy supply in Thailand (even if they had any kind of decent charging facilities once out of the city)

is generated by oil or gas which just transfers the carbon footprint from one place to another,

and they are still expensive with battery quality still a major issue

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, natway09 said:

I hope they are mainly for export.

The current energy supply in Thailand (even if they had any kind of decent charging facilities once out of the city)

is generated by oil or gas which just transfers the carbon footprint from one place to another,

and they are still expensive with battery quality still a major issue

The predictions from Changan EV Rayong are they will produce 100,000 SUV's next year with Thai sales of 20,000.

• Thumbs Up 1

With the latest in a string of Tesla recalls, I will wait for another 5 years to make sure all the bugs

are worked out before investing in an EV.  I hope the power grid around Thailand is enough for all these EVs to be charged every where.

I may buy a hybrid for my next vehicle, but Canada is too big of a country to have an EV, if I want to

go out of my province and visit a city in the next one. I have a couple of friends who drove to another city in Alberta

and had troubles finding an available quick charge station to get their battery charged enough to come back to

Calgary. Now they have a small gas powered second car for the long trips, and uswe their EV for local drives.