Hi..Can a foreigner call for an ambulance in Chiang Mai…??

mikey88

Hi…just planning ahead to help an elderly friend. They live alone. If there’s a serious problem….can he call an ambulance and reasonably expect it to turn up. ..?  And how to do this….?  And if there’s a charge that’s no problem….

He is in Mae Rim….

Thanks for the help…

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

would likely have to call tourist police first...sorry dont know the 911 here in thailand-- and have them help. i seriously doubt they would understand a foreigner giving directions. the one and only time i called any emergency service here no one spoke a lick of english

• Confused 3
  • Thanks 1

There's an app called "Police i lert u".....which points out your location and gives you the option of calling the cops or an ambulance.  I downloaded it but haven't used it (just thought it might come in handy if I witnessed an accident or whatever).  Have no clue how well it does or doesn't work.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mikey88 said:

Hi…just planning ahead to help an elderly friend. They live alone. If there’s a serious problem….can he call an ambulance and reasonably expect it to turn up. ..?  And how to do this….?  And if there’s a charge that’s no problem….

He is in Mae Rim….

Thanks for the help…

The best is by phone I 🤔

17 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

would likely have to call tourist police first...sorry dont know the 911 here in thailand-- and have them help. i seriously doubt they would understand a foreigner giving directions. the one and only time i called any emergency service here no one spoke a lick of english

18 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

The best is by phone I 🤔

Agree, calling 1669 for ambulance might not get the desired English or other language. Best bet dial 1155 for Tourist Police. But in either case being able to give directions or immediately sending GPS coordinates is critical for emergency care.

17 hours ago, mikey88 said:

He is in Mae Rim….

Thanks for the help…

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Agree, calling 1669 for ambulance might not get the desired English or other language. Best bet dial 1155 for Tourist Police. But in either case being able to give directions or immediately sending GPS coordinates is critical for emergency care.

Many phones got an emergency button, providing GPS position. 

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But for those who do not speak Thai well (or at all) communicating may be an issue. The caller will need to be able to give clear information about where they are located

Exactly what i said in the first post of ghis thread but seems some 'in the know' members here disagree.

As you also mention stress does nothing to make matters easier.

@mikey88   also need to consider how ambulance would get into his place - if he is serious enough to need one, might not be able to get to the door.

He should consider giving a copy of his key to a trusted neighbor , preferrably one who speaks both English and Thai.

10 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

What happens if I'm having a heart attack?

Depends on your condition.

On the scene interventions of the type people are used to from EMTs in their home countries are rare here so there is less value to having an ambulance vs getting to hospital on your own if that is physically possible.

I would say, if able to walk  at least short distance, and if there is no contraindication to being moved (as in case with possible spine injury etc) Grab taxi (or equivalent - app that lets you input the destination) to hospital of choice is best as you will reach the hospital and thus start treatment sooner.

good idea as well to think through ahead of time what hospital you want to go to in an emergency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Depends on your condition.

On the scene interventions of the type people are used to from EMTs in their home countries are rare here so there is less value to having an ambulance vs getting to hospital on your own if that is physically possible.

I would say, if able to walk  at least short distance, and if there is no contraindication to being moved (as in case with possible spine injury etc) Grab taxi (or equivalent - app that lets you input the destination) to hospital of choice is best as you will reach the hospital and thus start treatment sooner.

good idea as well to think through ahead of time what hospital you want to go to in an emergency.

That would be a disaster in an emergency if I were living alone. Good reason to repatriate back to home country when a lot older and medical issues start appearing. In the Usa they have those alert services where you just press a button and they come.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Bad news! Buy the time I get there and they register me and take care of the insurance I would probably be dead.

When I suffered my hit and run RTA 2 months back, an ambulance (and police) was with me at the roadside when I regained consciousness, and I was on the table at San Sai government hospital around 10 minutes later. They didn't ask for any documentation until 2 days later.

It's the private hospitals that make you wait for emergency treatment.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

When I suffered my hit and run RTA 2 months back, an ambulance (and police) was with me at the roadside when I regained consciousness, and I was on the table at San Sai government hospital around 10 minutes later. They didn't ask for any documentation until 2 days later.

It's the private hospitals that make you wait for emergency treatment.

I feel like I would not know what to do if that happened and they were not around. Call the 1669 number I guess, or hope a good samaritan helps.