Hi..Can a foreigner call for an ambulance in Chiang Mai…??

mikey88

One of my neighbors had cardiac arrest symptoms years ago.  He knew a heart attack was imminent and called a Grab and went to Ram.  Grab was there in 5 minutes and 5 minutes to Ram.  He is still with us but the total bill came to 40,000 Baht(he has never had insurance).  Of course the first thing he did after being discharged was to buy a pack of cigarettes at 7-11. 

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

One of my neighbors had cardiac arrest symptoms years ago.  He knew a heart attack was imminent and called a Grab and went to Ram.  Grab was there in 5 minutes and 5 minutes to Ram.  He is still with us but the total bill came to 40,000 Baht(he has never had insurance).  Of course the first thing he did after being discharged was to buy a pack of cigarettes at 7-11. 

Loads of good government hospitals in CM

San Sai, NakornPing just to name 2, bill would have been around 2-4kbht

They can all deal with heart attacks, the doctors all speak English.

Absolutely no need to use a private hospital for emergency treatment, no waiting.

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Loads of good government hospitals in CM

San Sai, NakornPing just to name 2, bill would have been around 2-4kbht

They can all deal with heart attacks, the doctors all speak English.

Absolutely no need to use a private hospital for emergency treatment, no waiting.

In this case Ram was the closest and Ram’s location was in the Grab app. He felt it was urgent to get to the closest hospital as soon as possible. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sqwakvfr said:

That's actually not a bad price for emergency medical treatment.

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

IIRC Einstein said there are no limits to the universe and human stupidity, but he was not sure about the universe.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:
22 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

From a nearby bar

Nurses in government hospitals are compulsorily retired at age 45

You're wrong.  No compulsory retirement age.

But there is a rule that if they quit, they can't be rehired after a certain age, perhaps 35.  But no, they can keep on working as old as they want. I know someone who worked in HR in a private hospital. 😀

4 hours ago, JimTripper said:

That would be a disaster in an emergency if I were living alone. Good reason to repatriate back to home country when a lot older and medical issues start appearing. In the Usa they have those alert services where you just press a button and they come.

And the "they" that come are fully trained and equipped EMTs. Who will provide immediate stabilization right on the scene as wel las in the ambulance while in transit. 

Not the case here.

I only saw one other post suggesting this.  I accidentally activated it once and had an immediate call back.  I believe it also sends location. It can't hurt to try along with some of the few good suggestions already stated.
Tourist Police I lert u.........

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arunsawad.touristilu&hl=en&gl=US&pli=1

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/18/2023 at 9:55 AM, CMBob said:

There's an app called "Police i lert u".....which points out your location and gives you the option of calling the cops or an ambulance.  I downloaded it but haven't used it (just thought it might come in handy if I witnessed an accident or whatever).  Have no clue how well it does or doesn't work.

It works very well.  I put the app on my phone and accidentally hit the "Request" button but I immediately hung up.  Seconds later I was called back by an English-speaker who was checking what kind of assistance I needed.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2023 at 2:05 PM, Sheryl said:

There are 2 main ways to summon an ambulance:

The general medical emergency number 1669. 

One can also call the general emergency number 191 but may be slower and also little/no English

if all else fails call Tourist Police 1155

...or the English-speaking Tourist Police "i lert u" phone app.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It works very well.  I put the app on my phone and accidentally hit the "Request" button but I immediately hung up.  Seconds later I was called back by an English-speaker who was checking what kind of assistance I needed.  

Very good to know, but I wonder if this varies by location/province?

On 12/17/2023 at 9:11 PM, Lacessit said:

Nurses in government hospitals are compulsorily retired at age 45.

Codswallop!

"his cross-sectional study was conducted from October 2016 to April 2017. Self-administered questionnaires were distributed nationally to 3,629 RNs in the age group 55-59 years and working for the Ministry ofPublic Health (MoPH), "

"Of the 3,018 participants, the proportion of RNs intending to extend their working life from 60 to 65 years was 30.5%. "

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

Codswallop!

"his cross-sectional study was conducted from October 2016 to April 2017. Self-administered questionnaires were distributed nationally to 3,629 RNs in the age group 55-59 years and working for the Ministry ofPublic Health (MoPH), "

"Of the 3,018 participants, the proportion of RNs intending to extend their working life from 60 to 65 years was 30.5%. "

Having two posters tell me I am wrong is good enough, with some evidence posted.

I was told by a nurse at a government hospital ( age 44 ) she had to retire next year, when I asked why she said it was compulsory. Perhaps it is more a voluntary system.

While it is difficult to tell the age of Thai women, I have noticed most of the nurses I see seem to look quite young.

On 12/17/2023 at 8:46 PM, Prubangboy said:

Yes. My wife passed out in a restaurant. The ambulance was there in 7 minutes (Old City). There was no charge.

It is free of charge if someone else called for you. If you call for yourself, you do pay.

Sorry for my English (not my native language).

If someone else calls the emergency services it is free of charge, but if you call yourself you have to pay. Is that Thai logic? I assume that when the emergency services are called it is always urgent.

I read this topic with interest. And I have a question myself

Suppose your partner dies at home , in European countries, you call a doctor who determines the death. You can also call a MUG (medical emergency team) and there is always a doctor with the MUG.

If you call the Thai emergency number there is never a doctor, there are only two hospitals ( in Chiang Mai) that you can call that will send the emergency services with a doctor. My question is simple: who do you call directly for a doctor who can diagnose the death?

Perhaps some will say call the police first in Thailand, but the police services cannot draw up their report without a death certificate drawn up by a doctor

On 12/17/2023 at 8:48 PM, ballpoint said:

The medical emergency number for Thailand is 1669, unless your friend wants to be taken to a specific hospital, in which case you should look up the hospital's emergency number and store it in their phone for them before it is needed.  If your friend does call a hospital in Chiang Mai city though, they will likely have to wait for the ambulance to come from there, rather than getting a local one.  In my experience, calling 1669 will ensure the nearest ambulance is dispatched, but it will take them to a public hospital - which I don't really have a problem with in an emergency, but some may.

EMS1669 also have an emergency App.

Set it up on their phone, or anybody's phone, in an emergency it can be called with one button push and they will automatically know their location, name, well, it will know everything about them.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

EMS1669 also have an emergency App.

Set it up on their phone, or anybody's phone, in an emergency it can be called with one button push and they will automatically know their location, name, well, it will know everything about them.

On my Android I tried "EMS1669" as suggested.  I got "Looking for EMS1669? This app isn't available for your device because it was made for an old ..." 

Is the app still valid and, if so, does anyone know another way to find it?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, MrBrad said:

On my Android I tried "EMS1669" as suggested.  I got "Looking for EMS1669? This app isn't available for your device because it was made for an old ..." 

Is the app still valid and, if so, does anyone know another way to find it?  Thanks.

Yes, it is still available and active, however some posters on AN have mentioned that it isn't compatible with their device, others have no problem. 

On 12/17/2023 at 8:48 PM, ballpoint said:

The medical emergency number for Thailand is 1669, unless your friend wants to be taken to a specific hospital, in which case you should look up the hospital's emergency number and store it in their phone for them before it is needed.  If your friend does call a hospital in Chiang Mai city though, they will likely have to wait for the ambulance to come from there, rather than getting a local one.  In my experience, calling 1669 will ensure the nearest ambulance is dispatched, but it will take them to a public hospital - which I don't really have a problem with in an emergency, but some may.

They will take you to a private hospital too. Anywhere you want to go, they will take you. They rely on donations to their Foundation of which there are many. If you wish to make a 500-1000 Baht donation, they will give you a card with all of the info.

On 12/18/2023 at 2:50 PM, BritManToo said:

The op said he was calling for a friend.

As far as I know the Thai ambulances don't have equipment to deal with heart attacks.

Yes, they do. But, you have to tell the dispatcher that you need life support and they will send an ambulance from a well-funded Foundation that has all of the equipment and a team of well-trained EMT's. I did this recently for someone and told the dispatcher that the patient could not breath well and that the main gate was locked and that only a small access gate was open. I spoke with them in Thai. They sent an expensive, well stocked, well-equipped ambulance with 3 guys who were all very well-trained. They checked for blood pressure, blood sugar, blood oxygen, administered an IV and oxygen, and called the hospital that we requested and notified the ER that they were on the way.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 7:54 AM, MrBrad said:

It might help to meet with the emergency department at your chosen hospital and more-or-less register your information in their computer.  Give them your home address; they'll find it on Google Maps, take a few screenshots and file it under your name.  I'm not saying that this is a foolproof solution to getting an ambulance to your home if needed, but it couldn't hurt.  I did this at Chiang Mai's Bangkok Hospital, by the way.

On 12/18/2023 at 2:51 PM, Sheryl said:

Depends on your condition.

On the scene interventions of the type people are used to from EMTs in their home countries are rare here so there is less value to having an ambulance vs getting to hospital on your own if that is physically possible.

I would say, if able to walk  at least short distance, and if there is no contraindication to being moved (as in case with possible spine injury etc) Grab taxi (or equivalent - app that lets you input the destination) to hospital of choice is best as you will reach the hospital and thus start treatment sooner.

good idea as well to think through ahead of time what hospital you want to go to in an emergency.

Yes, likely better as you suggest--the local Thai ambulances are quick on the spot, as the poster earlier mentioned to the restaurant in 7 minutes--we have used them several times for a quick family emergency transport ride to the hospital--you can tell them, as we did, which hospital we wanted them to go to--however, a key point in understanding these FREE ambulances is that they are mainly TRANSPORT to a hospital--they do not, from many instances i have been directly involved with, provide any medical attention on the way--how, if you call Bkk-CM or Ram hospitals, they have more fully-equipped ambulances, and i believe they will provide some medical attention, but, they usually only have one--and for them to find your location, perhaps late at night, may take time, and that is, of course, if their ambulances are not otherwise engaged--and i doubt they provide this service for free--if you have insurance, it may cover it??

But, back to the govt, free local Thai ambulances--I must be clear to sing their praises--when we needed them at my house, they arrived literally in minutes, were very helpful, got the person on the gurney carefully, into the ambulance and off we went, racing to the hospital--driving fast, but carefully,  They were incredibly helpful in a few difficult, but thankfully, not life or death, situations.

• Thumbs Up 1