National crackdown underway as German spurned in love, is arrested for a 5-month visa overstay in Krabi

webfact

11 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That will definitely mean Expats leaving :biggrin: 

Income taxes is one thing, but forcing us to wear ugly ankle bracelets is just not on !! 

If they were made of gold and diamonds - then OK - maybe.  

Alternatives include a chipped Prince Albert . Fitted on arrival at swampy . :laugh: 

• Haha 1

I suppose they deserve a medal really , ok acting on a tip off isn't too challenging even for this lot, but having to put down the mobile phone for 10 minutes and leave the aircon office must be awfully difficult.  Not to mention smartening up their appearance for the obligatory photo op

Weirdly some of those most vocally in favour of deporting overstayers  are the same people that called me a right wing extremist and racist Nazi when I spoke out against illegal immigration in the UK  

There are some very strange people floating about these days

4 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

"National crackdown underway "

How many times a year do have this 'National Crackdown'?

If they did their job,immigration, surely there would be no need?

Yes 24 hour crackdowns on everything you can think of from motorbike riders on the pavements, drunk drivers to the now overstaying visas, instead of the police and immigration doing their jobs all the time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Apparently they don't want or need criminal's money.  It's easy enough to stay in TH a very long time.  Simply follow the rules, especially @ 50+ yrs old.

If they are violating the imm laws, what else are they doing ?  Working, taking employment from locals who need it, or criminal activity to support themselves.  

We all seem to dislike criminal immigrants & tourist in our home country, but for seem reason, have compassion for them here ... :giggle:

I don't think anyone, I will use the UK as an example, minds emigrants if they pay their way and don't do the Muslim thing of expecting countries to change their ways to suit them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Approved ! As a non-immigrant OA holder I report every 90 days. It's the law and I follow it. Once my visa expires, I renew it in my country of origin or locally with all the required documents. It's that simple. You should not play with the laws in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I don't think anyone, I will use the UK as an example, minds emigrants if they pay their way and don't do the Muslim thing of expecting countries to change their ways to suit them.

Agree, and millions enter TH every year, legally & contribute, or at least follow the rules.   Same w/USA, being a melting pot of immigrants.  ALL WELCOME ... LEGALLY

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

That will definitely mean Expats leaving :biggrin: 

Income taxes is one thing, but forcing us to wear ugly ankle bracelets is just not on !! 

If they were made of gold and diamonds - then OK - maybe.  

We are already treated like criminals on parole with their ridiculous 90 day reporting, so anything can happen.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Immigration Bureau officers from Krabi arrested a 51-year-old German national identified as Mr Manuel on Ko Lanta on Monday, December 18th. He faces prosecution for a 5-month visa overstay and deportation.

Local police in Krabi confirm a national crackdown on overstaying tourists is underway. A heartbroken German, drowning his sorrows in beer, was arrested on Ko Lanta after being spurned in love. He is among the first to be detained. Immigration’s festive blitz is underway targeting boisterous drinkers.

Immigration police have launched another national crackdown targeting visa overstayers and most especially foreign tourists overindulging in alcohol in the runup to Christmas and the New Year. On Monday, a 51-year-old German man drowned his sorrows after suffering rejection in love on the island of Ko Lanta. Later, he was nabbed after a tip-off to Krabi Police from locals. 

It was a case of Murphy’s law, for a 51-year-old German tourist on Monday. The European found himself amid a pre-Christmas nightmare on December 18th on Ko Lanta, the picturesque island in Southern Thailand, near Krabi.

Previously, the unlucky foreigner, whose visa expired five months ago, set off from the notorious resort city of Pattaya seeking love and reconciliation with his estranged Thai girlfriend in Krabi. He had high hopes.

by Carla Boonkong & Pranee O' Connor

Full story: Thai Examiner.com 2023-12-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

9 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Immigration Bureau officers from Krabi arrested a 51-year-old German national identified as Mr Manuel on Ko Lanta on Monday, December 18th. He faces prosecution for a 5-month visa overstay and deportation.

Local police in Krabi confirm a national crackdown on overstaying tourists is underway. A heartbroken German, drowning his sorrows in beer, was arrested on Ko Lanta after being spurned in love. He is among the first to be detained. Immigration’s festive blitz is underway targeting boisterous drinkers.

Immigration police have launched another national crackdown targeting visa overstayers and most especially foreign tourists overindulging in alcohol in the runup to Christmas and the New Year. On Monday, a 51-year-old German man drowned his sorrows after suffering rejection in love on the island of Ko Lanta. Later, he was nabbed after a tip-off to Krabi Police from locals. 

It was a case of Murphy’s law, for a 51-year-old German tourist on Monday. The European found himself amid a pre-Christmas nightmare on December 18th on Ko Lanta, the picturesque island in Southern Thailand, near Krabi.

Previously, the unlucky foreigner, whose visa expired five months ago, set off from the notorious resort city of Pattaya seeking love and reconciliation with his estranged Thai girlfriend in Krabi. He had high hopes.

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

I don't know of any other country that constantly sees the need to make tourists feel welcome with publicly announced "crackdowns" such as this one.

By all means, crack down, but don't be too boastful about it - especially as you keep finding foreigners on multi-year overstays that should have been found long ago.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

I don't know of any other country that constantly sees the need to make tourists feel welcome with publicly announced "crackdowns" such as this one.

By all means, crack down, but don't be too boastful about it - especially as you keep finding foreigners on multi-year overstays that should have been found long

Only Thailand  maybe Thailand could send them to Rwanda 

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

They tolerate farang until the money euns low or your behavior is out of hand.  Probably not smart to act boisterous for months in and around a place like Krabi. 

That seems to be the nub. This guy appears to have been acting out to the last. And it may well have not even been noticed in Pattaya where it's more the norm.

But there is no indication in the piece of a 'national crackdown on overstayers'. The cops themselves apparently say they're only on the lookout for people who make a nuisance of themselves. Grotty reporting combined with repetitive writing (to fill a quota?) but nothing unusual.

I wish the friggin' zombies in charge of the EC would take a leaf out of Thailands book. 

We are overrun.....probably millions of undocumented illegals and we have no idea of their criminality background.

Misfits, radicals, psychotics, religious fanatics and radicals. Yep, the liberals and lefties have Europe fu**ed. You can't even deport the rubbish.....I'm all in for immigration for sure, but cherry picked and vetted. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Theowl58 said:

Approved ! As a non-immigrant OA holder I report every 90 days. It's the law and I follow it. Once my visa expires, I renew it in my country of origin or locally with all the required documents. It's that simple. You should not play with the laws in Thailand.

Simple logic indeed. Unless you are pissed 24/7.

7 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

"National crackdown underway "

How many times a year do have this 'National Crackdown'?

If they did their job,immigration, surely there would be no need?

A national crackdown at Xmas, peak holiday time for tourists and the Immi folk are demanding passports and visa inspections when everyone's out trying to enjoy their holiday........you couldn't make this up. You have drink driving crackdowns at Xmas, you don't harass tourists at Xmas.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

what a quandary, Thailand is desperate for more tourists but eager to kick out tourists that overstay. if only there was an amnesty to get them legal so they can stay and spend more money. the visa process is frustrating and that doesn't help either

That's a great idea. Refreshing, since most people come here to endlessly complain about a place where they nonetheless continue to live

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Obviously travel in different circles, as I don't know any.  I know a few that couldn't make the financials to stay like they wanted, and TH is better off without them ... IMHO

And expats are better off without smug "Look at me" types.

48 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

I wish the friggin' zombies in charge of the EC would take a leaf out of Thailands book. 

We are overrun.....probably millions of undocumented illegals and we have no idea of their criminality background.

Misfits, radicals, psychotics, religious fanatics and radicals. Yep, the liberals and lefties have Europe fu**ed. You can't even deport the rubbish.....I'm all in for immigration for sure, but cherry picked and vetted. 

A true European MAGA Trumpian. 👍 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Makes me wonder why people lower themselves by going to Thailand - you’re not wanted - your wallet is!!

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

We are already treated like criminals on parole with their ridiculous 90 day reporting, so anything can happen.

Yes indeed mate - and I feel for those that have been here 20+ years and have raised a Thai family - and they still have to report evey 90 days.

Not all of us can afford one of those 'special people' Visa (read - criminals).

They do something like that to a good proven long-term Expat, and yet they allow criminals to buy a Visa and by-pass all the troubles we good guys have to go through.

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Apparently they don't want or need criminal's money.  It's easy enough to stay in TH a very long time.  Simply follow the rules, especially @ 50+ yrs old.

If they are violating the imm laws, what else are they doing ?  Working, taking employment from locals who need it, or criminal activity to support themselves.  

We all seem to dislike criminal immigrants & tourist in our home country, but for seem reason, have compassion for them here ... :giggle:

the German guy was possibly my so used to seeing illegal im migrants in his own country that he didn’t realize it was a crime!!!

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

That's a great idea. Refreshing, since most people come here to endlessly complain about a place where they nonetheless continue to live

Complaining is human nature. Also they stay because it's bl..dy cold and expensive back home, not because of the ever changing convoluted bureaucracy in LOS, which very much merits Complaining. And then there is the sex.