How many times can I get a Non-O (visit wife)?

I've had two back to back Non-o visas from Savannakhet (both extended by 60 days) and I was wondering whether I would have any trouble getting another one?

I don't have enough cash to stash 400k away to apply for the multiple entry type... would they have a valid reason for denying me a visa based on marriage?

Thank you!

There shouldn't be any reason that the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet would deny you a 90-day SingleEntry Non Imm O Marriage Visa when you meet the requirements (which you obviously do after 2 succesful applications). 

Question > Don't you have any friends who would be willing to lend you funds such that you reach the required 400.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account, allowing you to apply for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Marriage Visa?  The funds only have to be on your personal Thai bank-account at moment of application, so you actually only need them for a couple of days, after which you can transfer the funds back.  Considering that it would save you 4 more trips to Savannakhet, offering a 10.000,- THB lenders fee for 1 week-use of the funds, might overcome any reluctance from friends/relatives to help you out with that temporary financial issue.  

Edited by Red Phoenix

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

There shouldn't be any reason that the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet would deny you a 90-day SingleEntry Non Imm O Marriage Visa when you meet the requirements (which you obviously do after 2 succesful applications). 

Question > Don't you have any friends who would be willing to lend you funds such that you reach the required 400.000 THB on a personal Thai bank-account, allowing you to apply for the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O Marriage Visa?  The funds only have to be on your personal Thai bank-account at moment of application, so you actually only need them for a couple of days, after which you can transfer the funds back.  Considering that it would save you 4 more trips to Savannakhet, offering a 10.000,- THB lenders fee for 1 week-use of the funds, might overcome any reluctance from friends/relatives to help you out with that temporary financial issue.  

What sort of friends do you have if you have to pay them 10K for a favour.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

What sort of friends do you have if you have to pay them 10K for a favour.....

I reckoned that OP already did ask such a short-term 400K loan it to close friends/relatives but without success, so 'acquaintances' or more distant relatives might be reluctant to help him out, hence my suggestion for a financial incentive for them to do so.

3 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I reckoned that OP already did ask such a short-term 400K loan it to close friends/relatives but without success, so 'acquaintances' or more distant relatives might be reluctant to help him out, hence my suggestion for a financial incentive for them to do so.

No, I wouldn't ever ask someone to lend me money... fastest way to lose friends! I wouldn't feel comfortable about it and I don't mind going to Laos as my wife has friends in Sav anyway, so visiting them once every 5 months is a little getaway for us. Hopefully there won't be any issues like 'why don't you get a yearly extension' - my answer would be "because immigration won't accept my bank statements'. Over 1.6 million goes through my account each year, but they aren't happy with that. You must prove where the funds have come from - but only if you can do it through your Thai bank, showing wage slips from the American company that pays me and Wise bank transfers + Thai bank statement doesn't work. They make it so god-damn hard to do.

6 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Over 1.6 million goes through my account each year, but they aren't happy with that. You must prove where the funds have come from - but only if you can do it through your Thai bank, showing wage slips from the American company that pays me and Wise bank transfers + Thai bank statement doesn't work.

I think you could look into this statement of yours.

Many folk have posted that using income method with one transfer totalling 40k/65k per month that the tag "pension" was not required. 

Indeed WISE is a good option to transfer from your USA bank to your Thai bank.

Depending on how the transfers are coded you can also obtain credit advice that shows funds came from abroad

• Thumbs Up 2

I wasn't aware that the 400,000 THB only had to be in my Thai bank account at the moment of application. I thought it had to be lodged in my account at least 2 months prior.

Is this condition specific to just the Savannakhet Thai Consulate?

So I just need to take my bank book and a copy of the relevant page to Savannakhet when applying?

And not be concerned with when the 400,000 THB was deposited?

Thank you.

You dont need 400K except to get a 12 month extension once you are in Thailand.  You can get a multi-entry Visa to visit family/wife - valid for 12 months from date of issue.  Each entry is valid for 90 days, so that makes 4 times per year - get a new one each year.  However, I would expect that after some time an 'IO will ask what the hell is going on here' if you are constantly using the same approqch to re-enter Thailand.  Maybe pay an Agent to solve the 400K annual extension problem. 

3 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

However, I would expect that after some time an 'IO will ask what the hell is going on here' if you are constantly using the same approqch to re-enter Thailand. 

You expect wrong.

ME Non O based on marriage (visa valid for 12months) has been used by expats for years to live in Thailand albeit that it requires border runs. 

Perhaps not the initial intention of that visa however has not caused issues. 

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You expect wrong.

ME Non O based on marriage (visa valid for 12months) has been used by expats for years to live in Thailand albeit that it requires border runs. 

Perhaps not the initial intention of that visa however has not caused issues. 

Thanks Jack - I did not know that.  In that case the OP should just get a 12 month multi-entry Visa and stop doing the single entry plus extension. 

Thank you TroubleandGrumpy and DrJack54 for replying.

To clarify my situation, I arrived in Thailand on 4 November using the 30-day visa exemption to stay indefinitely with my Thai wife. 

Before my arrival, I had been overseas continuously for 5 years.

I then visited Immigration on 1 December to get an extension until 2 January 2024. 

On 2 January, I was going to get another 30-day extension based on visiting my wife, which when expires, would mean I'd have been in the country for 90 days. 

I am trying to determine what my best course of action should be beyond that.

Can I then go to Savannakhet and get a multi-entry visa to visit my wife or have I already used up my "visiting family/wife" privileges as I had just used 90 days to do so (4 November 2023 - 31 January 2024)?

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Thanks Jack - I did not know that.  In that case the OP should just get a 12 month multi-entry Visa and stop doing the single entry plus extension. 

Definitely however seems that the OP cannot come up with the funds.

The other option would be to obtain a single entry Non O based on marriage and tie up 400k for 2 months to obtain subsequent extension.

Those funds only need to remain in the bank until final stamp is issued.

400k would hardly sustain someone (or family) for 12 months. Not huge money given that it can be withdraw.

Wash and repeat.

No need of border runs and the costs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for your replies.

However, my initial specific question remains unanswered.

On Thursday at 9:22 a.m., Red Phoenix posted that the 400k only has to be in your Thai bank account at the moment of application.

Implying that the length of time it's been in your account beforehand is irrelevant.

I'm simply asking if is this a well-documented fact or not and, if so, where can I see it documented? 

I should be able to access 400k for a few days before any application.

However, leaving 400k in my account for at least 2 months before an application may well be another matter.

Thank you.

On 12/23/2023 at 2:51 PM, prgillard said:

Thanks for your replies.

However, my initial specific question remains unanswered.

On Thursday at 9:22 a.m., Red Phoenix posted that the 400k only has to be in your Thai bank account at the moment of application.

Implying that the length of time it's been in your account beforehand is irrelevant.

I'm simply asking if is this a well-documented fact or not and, if so, where can I see it documented? 

I should be able to access 400k for a few days before any application.

However, leaving 400k in my account for at least 2 months before an application may well be another matter.

Thank you.

That is for obtaining a multiple entry non-o at Savanakhet. They recently changed their rules and now you must show 400k in your bank. They will accept both foreign banks and Thai domestic. No need for seasoning, just have the money in your account on the day of application.

400k needs to be 'seasoned' in a bank account for 2 months prior to application (Thai bank) for a 12 month extension.

Edited by Brickleberry

On 12/21/2023 at 5:14 PM, DrJack54 said:

I think you could look into this statement of yours.

Many folk have posted that using income method with one transfer totalling 40k/65k per month that the tag "pension" was not required. 

Indeed WISE is a good option to transfer from your USA bank to your Thai bank.

Depending on how the transfers are coded you can also obtain credit advice that shows funds came from abroad

Yes, my situation is a bit more complicated.

To make matters worse, I started sending all the funds to my wife's bank after the IO said my bank account statements won't work - I have multiple transfers each month to my bank from three different companies. Now I wouldn't be able to show any proof anyway.

The reason for this is I was using the yellow bank - you can only transfer up to 50k (THB) per time, so I was spending a lot of money on fees. The yellow bank has the wrong transfer codes - it looks like a local transfer. My wife has a Bangkok Bank account so I can send all of the funds to her account in one transfer, saving quite a bit of cash. 

I'll use an agent to help out after I get another non-O from Savannakhet. Everything is above board, and I have more than enough money coming in each month - I just can't park it in a bank for two months, too many out-goings.

31 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

- I have multiple transfers each month to my bank from three different companies. Now I wouldn't be able to show any proof anyway.

The way round that would not have been difficult.

You could have opened another bank account  dedicated to immigration matters. 

Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and SCB commercial bank do not have the 50k limit that you refer to.

The limit for those 3 banks is 2m.

Handy for things such as realestate purchases.

If the codes are not FTT then you can obtain credit advice from the receiving bank to show funds were transferred from overseas

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The way round that would not have been difficult.

You could have opened another bank account  dedicated to immigration matters. 

Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn and another bank do not have the 50k limit that you refer to.

If the codes are not FTT then you can obtain credit advice from the receiving bank to show funds were transferred from overseas

Kasikorn will automatically send you credit advance by email (pdf document) each time money is received if you sign up for that, which can be done by phone to the call center. Very easy. Maybe BBK does too, not sure, as I bank with Kasikorn.

They also send me every month a detailed statement. Which is very convenient since by the time i get to the bank tarnsactions are often grouped together.

And as Dr. Jack said, no 50K limit. I don't know if there is any limit at all.  I used to  perodically transfer in 800K with no problem other than the bank sometimes calling and asking a few routine questions (Source of funds? Purpose?).

After US SS started direct international transfers to Thailand I now get 70 - 80 (maybe 90 if I'm really lucky with the exchange rate) transferred in every month. No issue at all.  (and no questions for that lower amount).

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Kasikorn will automatically send you credit advance by email (pdf document) each time money is received if you sign up for that......

I was not aware of that.

Being with Kasikorn that will be handy.

Currently I'm transferring monthly 65k+ with plan to switch from money in bank to income method (October) for next extension.

Being Oz need to show 12 monthly transfers.

Suggest anyone doing likewise to maintain funds in bank requirement "just in case" any issue with immigration. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Kasikorn will automatically send you credit advance by email (pdf document) each time money is received if you sign up for that, which can be done by phone to the call center. Very easy. Maybe BBK does too, not sure, as I bank with Kasikorn.

They also send me every month a detailed statement. Which is very convenient since by the time i get to the bank tarnsactions are often grouped together.

And as Dr. Jack said, no 50K limit. I don't know if there is any limit at all.  I used to  perodically transfer in 800K with no problem other than the bank sometimes calling and asking a few routine questions (Source of funds? Purpose?).

After US SS started direct international transfers to Thailand I now get 70 - 80 (maybe 90 if I'm really lucky with the exchange rate) transferred in every month. No issue at all.  (and no questions for that lower amount).

Thanks Sheryl, I'll definitely get an account set up once I get the agent assisted 12 month extension, that sounds amazing.

Problem is, I can't get a new bank account without having a long term visa - 90 days is not sufficient according to my local Kasikorn bank. The rules really have tightened up since I first arrived. I got my first bank account on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, alas those days are long gone!

15 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

Thanks Sheryl, I'll definitely get an account set up once I get the agent assisted 12 month extension, that sounds amazing.

Problem is, I can't get a new bank account without having a long term visa - 90 days is not sufficient according to my local Kasikorn bank. The rules really have tightened up since I first arrived. I got my first bank account on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, alas those days are long gone!

First try other banks in your area as sometimes it varies.  In some cases they might agree if you have a friend or spouse with account with them who can "recommend" you.  If not, , many other AN members have used an agent to open bank account in that situation as indeed it is otherwise a Catch-22.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1293525-agents-to-open-bank-account/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1312624-recommended-agents-to-open-a-bank-account-in-bangkok/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1282832-agent-wanted-to-open-bank-account/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1293525-agents-to-open-bank-account/page/2/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1308908-opening-bank-account/

https://aseannow.com/topic/1292317-open-thai-bank-account/

• Thanks 1