The best items in a British Christmas Dinner, according to AI - so, do you agree with the ranking?

CharlieH

image.png

• It claims Roast Turkey is the top element, while Pigs in Blankets are in fifth place 

It's a meal that many of us look forward to all year. 

But what exactly are the best items in a British Christmas Dinner?

While many of us see the Roast Turkey, Goose or Ham as the main event, others prefer the trimmings, whether it's pigs in blankets, stuffing, or even Brussels Sprouts. 

With just 10 days to go before we get to devour our Christmas Dinner, MailOnline asked ChatGPT to rank the elements on the meal. 

So, do you agree with the AI chatbot's ranking? 

The best items in a British Christmas Dinner, according to AI 

1. Roast Turkey 
  2. Stuffing 
  3. Roast Potatoes
  4. Gravy 
  5. Pigs in Blankets 
  6. Brussels Sprouts 
  7. Carrots and Parsnips 
  8. Mashed Swede and Mashed Potatoes
  9. Cranberry Sauce 
  10. Christmas Pudding or Mince Pies

To get to the bottom of the Christmas Dinner ranking, MailOnline simply asked ChatGPT: 'How do you rank the elements of a British Christmas dinner?'

Within seconds, the AI bot began to reply, diplomatically stating that 'the ranking of elements can vary based on personal preferences and regional traditions.'

However, it eventually landed on 10 key items. 

Roast Turkey was named the best element, although ChatGPT said that Roast Beef, Goose, or Ham would also suffice. 

'The roast main course takes the top spot and is often the centerpiece of a British Christmas dinner,' ChatGPT said. 

Stuffing took the second spot, described by the AI bot as a 'popular and flavorful accompaniment to the roast.'

The 'beloved side dish' of roast potatoes came in third place, with ChatGPT stipulating that they must be 'crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside,' 

Meanwhile, 'rich and flavorful' gravy was deemed the fourth most important element on Christmas Dinner. 

SOURCE

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm American, but a total Anglophile spent several Christmas' in the UK.

I'll list the No's;

Turkey, can't stand it. I hate it for US Thanksgiving, dry and tasteless

Lack of turkey rules out the cranberry sauce

Christmas pudding, needs lots of alcohol poured over it to make it worthwhile

Mince pies, I'm on the cusp. I have an English friends wife who has made some fantastic ones, then I've bought some online which were terrible

On the Yes side;

Roast potatoes

English stuffing, that paxo stuff, which I don't think is anything really like real stuffing but I like it

Brussel sprouts are a given

Rutabaga, your swede. It's considered a bit of a poverty food in the US, but I love it

Pigs in Blanket. Is that a UK thing? I always thought of it as American.

Gravy, well is the Pope Catholic!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woof999 said:

Sprouts are what almost ruined Christmas for several years in my childhood.

Move forward more than a decade, when my mother moved out of the house and was helping remove the dining room table, she found what she thought were dozens of ball bearings hidden on a ledge under the table.

They were in fact near fossilised sprouts courtesy of my Christmas dinner plate.

I too hated sprouts as a kid, boiled for months and horribly bitter :sick:

Then, much later in life, I had roasted sprouts which were sweet and delicious :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

US style pigs in blankets are more akin to what we Brits would call a sausage-roll (sausage wrapped in pastry).

image.png.05ceca94d7a053803c4050f80ea389a9.png

For reference, UK sausage rolls.

image.png.fc88ed39c8cf7f85a412e575ab742108.png

UK pigs in blankets are sausages wrapped in bacon and cooked with the turkey.

image.png.a3957abb60cad9ac0a4c1d2441c712bd.png

That explains my colonial confusion with the name

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

image.png

• It claims Roast Turkey is the top element, while Pigs in Blankets are in fifth place 

It's a meal that many of us look forward to all year. 

But what exactly are the best items in a British Christmas Dinner?

While many of us see the Roast Turkey, Goose or Ham as the main event, others prefer the trimmings, whether it's pigs in blankets, stuffing, or even Brussels Sprouts. 

With just 10 days to go before we get to devour our Christmas Dinner, MailOnline asked ChatGPT to rank the elements on the meal. 

So, do you agree with the AI chatbot's ranking? 

The best items in a British Christmas Dinner, according to AI 

1. Roast Turkey 
  2. Stuffing 
  3. Roast Potatoes
  4. Gravy 
  5. Pigs in Blankets 
  6. Brussels Sprouts 
  7. Carrots and Parsnips 
  8. Mashed Swede and Mashed Potatoes
  9. Cranberry Sauce 
  10. Christmas Pudding or Mince Pies

To get to the bottom of the Christmas Dinner ranking, MailOnline simply asked ChatGPT: 'How do you rank the elements of a British Christmas dinner?'

Within seconds, the AI bot began to reply, diplomatically stating that 'the ranking of elements can vary based on personal preferences and regional traditions.'

However, it eventually landed on 10 key items. 

Roast Turkey was named the best element, although ChatGPT said that Roast Beef, Goose, or Ham would also suffice. 

'The roast main course takes the top spot and is often the centerpiece of a British Christmas dinner,' ChatGPT said. 

Stuffing took the second spot, described by the AI bot as a 'popular and flavorful accompaniment to the roast.'

The 'beloved side dish' of roast potatoes came in third place, with ChatGPT stipulating that they must be 'crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside,' 

Meanwhile, 'rich and flavorful' gravy was deemed the fourth most important element on Christmas Dinner. 

SOURCE

Where is the bread sauce? :wacko:

5 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

The English are def people of the parsnip. Never seen it much anywhere else. 'Waitrose Ginger Parsnip Soup, had it at least weekly.

Americans will tolerate a bit of parsnip in a 4 to 1 carrot/parsnip ratio.

Parsnips are odd in the US, really depends on ethnic family background.

I'm hispanic, I'd never eaten a parsnip in my life, maybe seen them in a grocery store, but my ex wife, full bloodied white family were probably stowaways on the Mayflower, she cooked them.

Can't say I'm a total fan, and probably wouldn't cook them for myself, and my Thai wife most certainly wouldn't eat them.

But not bad as part of some roast meat dinner

• Like 1

For me, Sprouts would destroy even the best dinner, I hate that stuff from deep within my heart. All my life. Disgusting. Luckily, in almost 30 years in Thailand I never confronted that pest. But I don't mind if someone likes it. Up to you.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

I prefer Haggis and a good pint of Jameson to wash it down 😂🧑‍🎄

Ethically sourced haggis I hope. The wild-caught ones are tastier but becoming rare now due to over fishing.

Spoiler

Long ago I introduced madam to scotch-eggs which she liked; I told her they were layed by a bird called a "haggis" that lived only in Scotland and the shells really were just like sausage. When she realised she'd been had there was no nookie for "a while", rectified by 1Baht of gold (funny how gold cures all).

image.png.abfe8cdc95fcef79d11a9f8a67ee3b0e.png

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Where did cranberry sauce come from for an English Christmas dinner?

The US, same for turkeys which are also immigrants.

The roast potatoes come from South America.

My favourite christmas meal is the one you get on the plane while flying somewhere warm on Dec25.

The OP list of goodies is no doubt ideal for the British climate.

My favorite Christmas dinner was cold King Island crayfish and salad, consumed with a Vasse Felix classic dry white.

Dessert is fruit salad, made from strawberries, blueberries, seedless grapes, pineapple and rock melon. Topped with thickened cream.

IMO much more sensible for an Australian summer, I don't care what AI says.

On 12/21/2023 at 3:11 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Where is the bread sauce? :wacko:

Yes I agree. An essential not just with the Christmas turkey but with roast chicken too. My paternal grandmother used to do excellent Sunday lunch with roast chicken. Always bread sauce. Fell in love with it then, probably aged about 4. She also did lovely teas with the star being a wonderful Victoria sandwich cake filled with strawberry jam and whipped cream, the proper stuff not the aerosol kind. I don't think that was even available back then.

Crossy's competing post here with another AI list does have bread sauce at no.8

45 minutes ago, novacova said:

Sincerely hope y’all have a great wonderful gut filling Christmas, though I foresee I’ll be chomping on some sort of Thai dish on that day.

Well we're with you on that.

We're both working on Christmas day, but we talked about this and Mrs G is gonna cook my favorite Kai Po Lo (aka sweet eggs) and I'm going to make a Sopapilla (Mexican Cheesecake) for dessert