Thai Social Security Health Coverage

dinga

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I am registered at Lerdsin Hospital, Silom Road. But I am not sure.

I just checked on my social security card, but I don't see any information about the hospital on that card. How can I find out?

Thanks

Who registered you? If the HR department where you work, ask them. Otherwise you'd have to go to the hospital and ask and it will nto be a quick or easy matter.

Lerdsin is fine (quality wise - a nightmare in terms of crowding, wait times, red tape etc).

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Who registered you? If the HR department where you work, ask them. Otherwise you'd have to go to the hospital and ask and it will nto be a quick or easy matter.

Lerdsin is fine (quality wise - a nightmare in terms of crowding, wait times, red tape etc).

I hope this doesn't get too complicated.

What do you mean with "red tape etc"? 

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think I am registered at Lerdsin Hospital, Silom Road. But I am not sure.

I just checked on my social security card, but I don't see any information about the hospital on that card. How can I find out?

Thanks

Call the SSO Hotline 1506, there's an English language option. Be ready with your member number (nowadays it'd the number on your pink Thai Id card).

1506 can answer your question about which hospital you're registered with, and get some information about your annual right to change the hospital.

Also perhaps ask what ambulance services are available to SSO Voluntary Insurance members at the hospital where you are register.

In some cases (e.g. Rajavet private hospital in Chiang Mai) SSO members are covered for all necessary ambulance services. 

Also ask them to guide you to register yourself on the SSO members portal, which is in both Thai and English and on this site there's plenty of information.

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I hope this doesn't get too complicated.

What do you mean with "red tape etc"? 

The process of being seen at a government hospital is complicated and, at least initially, confusing. You have to register first at one of several different lines, signs are only in Thai and often no-one around who speaks any English, easy to get in the wrong  line which you will find out only after waiting an hour or more to get to the front. Other steps then ensue before you get to go to where the doctor is and the process there is also confusing.

Just bring a Thai speaker with you, first time at least, and come armed with reading material and drinking water and be prepared for long waits.

It is nto the SS factor which makes it complicated, it is that way regardless of payment status.

Oh and arrive at crack of dawn to get in the queue if using the public channel. Otherwise use the "after hours", may have to pay 500 baht extra but worth it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The process of being seen at a government hospital is complicated and, at least initially, confusing. You have to register first at one of several different lines, signs are only in Thai and often no-one around who speaks any English, easy to get in the wrong  line which you will find out only after waiting an hour or more to get to the front. Other steps then ensue before you get to go to where the doctor is and the process there is also confusing.

Just bring a Thai speaker with you, first time at least, and come armed with reading material and drinking water and be prepared for long waits.

It is nto the SS factor which makes it complicated, it is that way regardless of payment status.

Oh and arrive at crack of dawn to get in the queue if using the public channel. Otherwise use the "after hours", may have to pay 500 baht extra but worth it

Thanks Sheryl

My gf is registered at the same hospital. I was there with her a couple of times, so I have a rough idea about the procedure.

Yes, it is confusing where to line up - also for Thai people.

The "after hours" is a good idea. My gf had to go there and see the same doctor a couple of times. First, she visited him in the morning, and waited for hours. Later he told her if she pays a little extra (I forgot 300B or 500B) then she can come in the afternoon without much waiting. That is definitely a good option for all of us with not too much patience.

• Like 1

I read on X platform , About an expatriate who  wanted to continue getting benefits from the SS  after  retiring from his job ,so he went to the SS  Office to inquire about what documents are needed  and they  asked him to have in addition to the Yellow Tabien baan book  , The Thai Pink card  to be able to  continue with the SS health plan  ,is this a new procedure , as in most previous posts it was mentioned only the Yellow Tabien Baan as requested documents , anybody has any more info ?

Edited by Falang in Thailand