Body temp. of 34.9, why so low?

giddyup

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Normal body temperature can range anywhere from 36 to about 37.2

That is actual  internal body temperature. What your thermometer will say, will be less if you take temperature orally or under the arm.

Also need to consider whether the thermometer is working properly. The electronic ones are especially apt to not working correctly.

If this really concerns you, take your temperature rectally with an old-fashioned mercury thermometer. 

I'm using an Omron digital thermometer and using it under arm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Again - if this really concerns you, get an old fashioned mercury thermometer and take your rectal temperature

As being not flexible enough to do that I will need the help of a lovely young woman to reach to where the sun don't shine...

Edited by ezzra
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's either faulty or you are dead. 

Temperature is too low for life. 

Sheryl has already explained the low reading, but I don't believe 35 degrees is too low for life anyway, it would just mean mild hypothermia.

Edited by giddyup

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Had this bug for over a week, like a flu without any cough or cold, just wanting to sleep a lot, fatigued and no appetite. Thought I'd check my temp and I know 37 is normal, but mine is consistently under 35.

The last thread you posted as OP said you had the health issue for over 10 days. I posted I would be getting myself to a hospital after 2-3 days.

I am assuming you have not been to a clinic or hospital yet. Why are you being so stubborn?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'll tell you exactly why. I swore I'd never end up like my father who spent the last few years of his life with doctors appointment after appointment, test after tests, and I don't think any of it prolonged his life by one day, he died at 84, I'm coming up for 82.  If I rushed to hospital every time I had an ache or pain that lasted more than 2-3 days I'd be doing nothing else.

While I understand your mindset, I can't agree with it. My father died because he was terrified of doctors and hospitals, and put off diagnosis of his symptoms until it was too late.

Bladder cancer is first detectable by painless haematuria, a small spurt of blood when urinating. Months can elapse between occurrences, and it is easily ignored.

I would probably not be posting this if I had done nothing about the symptom, or delayed. That was 17 years ago.

Your choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Normal body temperature can range anywhere from 36 to about 37.2

That is actual  internal body temperature. What your thermometer will say, will be less if you take temperature orally or under the arm.

Also need to consider whether the thermometer is working properly. The electronic ones are especially apt to not working correctly.

If this really concerns you, take your temperature rectally with an old-fashioned mercury thermometer. 

Oh Sheryl,

we ONLY used special thermometers  to take rectal temperatures, as the bulb can break on ordinary ones. We were told NEVER to use an ordinary one for that.

Can be hard to find a mercury thermometer now. I don't think they are even available in NZ now.

Under the tongue with a correctly working thermometer is usually reliable. I suspect a defective thermometer for the OP, or not leaving it in long enough.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

Had this bug for over a week, like a flu without any cough or cold, just wanting to sleep a lot, fatigued and no appetite. Thought I'd check my temp and I know 37 is normal, but mine is consistently under 35.

That would make you clinically hypothermic and I doubt you'd be posting about it. Try a different thermometer under the tongue for at least a minute.

https://www.medicinenet.com/what_body_temperature_is_too_low_hypothermia/article.htm

Body temperature below 95°F (35°C) is considered abnormally (dangerously) low, and the condition is known as hypothermia. This happens when your body loses heat faster than it can produce heat. 

Hypothermia is a medical emergency, which if left untreated can lead to brain damage and cardiac failure.

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Well, this has turned out to be your typical AN thread, lots of speculation. 

I'm sure you've asked Dr Google as well. 

Go to the quack and get yourself checked out. 

The first thing I'd do is try a different thermometer if I had been taking it under the tongue. If not, I'd take it under the tongue.

If a different thermometer confirmed hypothermia ( after taking it twice ) I'd be off to hospital pretty fast.

BTW I took patient's temperatures for decades, so I know a bit about it.

• Like 1