Quiet bar in Pattaya

CanNot

On 12/24/2023 at 3:02 AM, jaideedave said:

Thai little place has been there for decades. I recall it being in the same spot in the early 90,s. It's got legs.

Same.  Have sat there for more than two decades while the missus pops into Mike's.   Wait...err.. you know what i mean!

59 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

noticed a "Ladies Welcome" sign up which seemed a bit odd. Seems like the place would be full of freelancers, but it appears they avoid the place if they are solo for some reason.

It used to be a popular freelancer bar, even with beer mats showing whether a falang was looking or not looking for a lady, no idea since covid

41 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It used to be a popular freelancer bar, even with beer mats showing whether a falang was looking or not looking for a lady, no idea since covid

If your reply was referring to Pattaya Beer Garden, both were still true in April 2023 - beer mats with "Lookin'" on one side and "Chillin'" on the other. And there were a few "likely ladies" in there too 🤣

To the OP, take a stroll along Soi Post Office and / or Soi Yamoto.

From Bukahou go down Soi Diana to Second road, turn left, cross Second Rd at McD's and they are 2 adjacent streets one with a visible GoGo on your RHS.

There are lots of little bars down those streets, and I was struck this year by just how quiet they were. Those 2 streets are changing all the time so take a stroll and a look.

Also, Soi Lengke has a few small bars. It's off Bukahou opposite Diana at the manic road junction with a 7/11 on one corner and WAS a Family Mart on the other now changed I believe..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Strange. When I was there, there were single blokes drinking on their own looking at their cell phones, or people who arrived with a woman on a date doing the meal thing. I did not see one lady going stag in the place and it's on beach road. I did not even get a beer mat!

Edited by JimTripper

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Yes, right on the water. I think it's a restaurant also, with a huge bar in the center.

I noticed a "Ladies Welcome" sign up which seemed a bit odd. Seems like the place would be full of freelancers, but it appears they avoid the place if they are solo for some reason.

That is the Pattaya Beer Garden. It's on Google Maps. Tucked away down a walkway where Beach Road ends with beer bars that used to be boxing rings one side, beach the other. It is huge but I find the ambience good. Excellent food at a fair but not cheap price every time I've been. I think it is expected that you order some food. Has wine by the glass as well as in bottle. Good table service. Huge long bar singles can sit at in the centre. Most tables on the waterfront have great views right along the bay. Lighting is low at these after dark so they bring a little lamp to see menu and your food. Open fronted kitchen so you watch the chefs at work. Toilets somewhat basic.  Music videos are constant, mostly rock, on video screens & sound system in the central  area but you can have a conversation without shouting. Sorry I think I just wrote a review!

3 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

That is the Pattaya Beer Garden. It's on Google Maps. Tucked away down a walkway where Beach Road ends with beer bars that used to be boxing rings one side, beach the other. It is huge but I find the ambience good. Excellent food at a fair but not cheap price every time I've been. I think it is expected that you order some food. Has wine by the glass as well as in bottle. Good table service. Huge long bar singles can sit at in the centre. Most tables on the waterfront have great views right along the bay. Lighting is low at these after dark so they bring a little lamp to see menu and your food. Open fronted kitchen so you watch the chefs at work. Toilets somewhat basic.  Music videos are constant, mostly rock, on video screens & sound system in the central  area but you can have a conversation without shouting. Sorry I think I just wrote a review!

Years ago it was a Thai restaurant.. Good food excellent prices. We used to eat there a couple of times a week. The same lady still owns the whole complex but I think nowadays she just leases the businesses out.

3 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Yeah, that's it. Why aren't there ever freelancers there?

7 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Good review except "I think it is expected that you order some food."  There is no expectation to order food, but silly if you don't as it's pretty good.

The owner of Pattaya Beer Garden was the previous owner of FLB in walking street (FLB = Free Lancer Bar), hence the "Ladies Welcome" sign and Green or Red coasters for singles. Word is he wanted it to be like the Bangkok Beer Garden with freelancers packing the joint but it never took off that way. My guess is the food was way too good so became a serious restaurant on the water instead. 

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Good review except "I think it is expected that you order some food."  There is no expectation to order food, but silly if you don't as it's pretty good.

The owner of Pattaya Beer Garden was the previous owner of FLB in walking street (FLB = Free Lancer Bar), hence the "Ladies Welcome" sign and Green or Red coasters for singles. Word is he wanted it to be like the Bangkok Beer Garden with freelancers packing the joint but it never took off that way. My guess is the food was way too good so became a serious restaurant on the water instead. 

Most freelancers go to Bamboo around the corner, probably more older men there

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, VBF said:

To the OP, take a stroll along Soi Post Office and / or Soi Yamoto.

From Bukahou go down Soi Diana to Second road, turn left, cross Second Rd at McD's and they are 2 adjacent streets one with a visible GoGo on your RHS.

Surprised to see directions starting from Buakhao to find Soi Post Office and Yamoto..... these were happening places when Buakhao was a swamp with the lotus flowers it got the name from. I am so old!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Strange. When I was there, there were single blokes drinking on their own looking at their cell phones, or people who arrived with a woman on a date doing the meal thing. I did not see one lady going stag in the place and it's on beach road. I did not even get a beer mat!

Bar maids learn pretty quickly not to bother giving green Look'in coasters to obvious sad gits 😀

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Surprised to see directions starting from Buakhao to find Soi Post Office and Yamoto..... these were happening places when Buakhao was a swamp with the lotus flowers it got the name from. I am so old!

That's the problem @jacko45k

I'm probably as old as you and yes those two sois were very much the places to be a decade or 2 ago 😋

The gogos, Far East Rock and Nevada were great for afternoon fun and all the little bars and massage shops as well.

That's what I meant when I said  "Those 2 streets are changing all the time"

Sadly....Tempus Fugit! 🙄😩

12 hours ago, VBF said:

The gogos, Far East Rock and Nevada were great for afternoon fun and all the little bars and massage shops as well.

I recall when it opened as Las Vegas A GoGo, the guy from NYC owned it, who later opened places in Yamoto. I was regular there for a happy hour early doors, after Tims place on 2nd Rd. 

On 12/26/2023 at 2:44 PM, JimTripper said:

Yes, right on the water. I think it's a restaurant also, with a huge bar in the center.

I noticed a "Ladies Welcome" sign up which seemed a bit odd. Seems like the place would be full of freelancers, but it appears they avoid the place if they are solo for some reason.

Yeah, it is one of the last mainstays of the area.  I went there in the mid 90s. It really hasn't changed over time.  Good food and also a family-type atmosphere.  I agree the view from there is awesome and so is the food.

I think the girl issue is simple they are trying to run a family or group bar.  are yo sure the sgn was not for the bars that you have to pass to get to the restaurant 

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I recall when it opened as Las Vegas A GoGo, the guy from NYC owned it, who later opened places in Yamoto. I was regular there for a happy hour early doors, after Tims place on 2nd Rd. 

Las Vegas on Yamoto was owned by a guy named Peter who may have been from NYC, I don't know. I used to go there quite a lot at one time. That was the gogo nearly at the 2nd Rd end of Yamoto on the RHS coming from 2nd Rd, right?

6 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Yeah, it is one of the last mainstays of the area.  I went there in the mid 90s. It really hasn't changed over time.  Good food and also a family-type atmosphere.  I agree the view from there is awesome and so is the food.

I think the girl issue is simple they are trying to run a family or group bar.  are yo sure the sgn was not for the bars that you have to pass to get to the restaurant 

The banner itself was at the beer garden. No, I don't typically like those kind of hole in the wall smaller bars that you pass on the way in. I don't like being the "center of attention", not my style. That's one of the reasons I don't like Pattaya much. Maybe that's what the Op means by "loud" bars, just not their style maybe. The beer garden is much more laid back.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, VBF said:

Las Vegas on Yamoto was owned by a guy named Peter who may have been from NYC, I don't know. I used to go there quite a lot at one time. That was the gogo nearly at the 2nd Rd end of Yamoto on the RHS coming from 2nd Rd, right?

He had 2 places in that region....but I recall he opened the place at The Beach Rd end of Post Office first. It was a bit of a trendsetter IIRC..... good Happy Hour, (bottles were included, not just the awful draft many places offered)...and costumes the girls wore caught on around town. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, VBF said:

Peter was indeed from NYC and had enjoyed the music scene there in the 60s. Hence his great playlists.

His first Las Vegas was on Soi Post Office near Beach Rd.

He remained in Pattaya after retirement and died just last year.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Why should there be? Can't you just grab one off the street on your way in?

It just seemed odd that they were not in there given the location. I get curious and like to think about things occassionally.

Edited by JimTripper

On 12/28/2023 at 5:24 PM, kingstonkid said:

Interesting that you went to the Pattaya Beer Garden in mid-90's as it only opened around 2010?