Phuket taxi driver drives away foreign woman over air conditioning dispute

webfact

She lucky to be alive .

Lose her taxi fare but she made it alive. 

No kick in the face or raped, couse this thailand, no respect for foreign people..

And the 'taxi' driver comes clear with the thing, but iff it a foreign driver, 5 year jail time, all his belongings gone and iff he survive jail get kicked out of the country...

When tourist going to anderstand this a dangerous country, you more safe in Beiroet !!!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, connda said:
3 hours ago, webfact said:

This is destroying the image of the country and also the image of Phuket taxis.

I've lived here 16+ years now and I can honestly state that this one instance isn't "destroying the image of Phuket taxis"

I can honestly say I have never had a problem with a taxi driver. Most of them just sit there and say nothing. If they want to chat its fine. Some foreigners are just rude to the drivers and then complain when they get a reaction.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, aussienam said:

To be fair, did you get general consensus from the rest of the passengers or did you decide you knew how everyone on the coach felt cold like you?  

No. The driver/conductor will tell you that AC can not be regulated even at 21 C outside.

That's why I avoid coaches/vans as good as possible. Only short trips less than 2 hours or so.

Comfy taxis sitting on the back seat I can control the airflow.

AC seems to be one big issue in Thailand, which I had never faced before in any other Southeast Asian country.

In most shopping malls, I feel cold, which makes me wonder how topless girls can handle this... Maybe they are used to...

Let alone in Starsucks Cafés: I always see female students bringing their blankets in order not to freeze.

But the Guiness Record for stupidity definitely belongs to the BMTA bus drivers! Short after they got their brand-new battery electric buses, one of them set the AC at full power and full blowing speed!

No clue at how many degrees it was set: the - always inaccurate - speed and temperature indicator displayed 5°C! No idea, whether such AC with such low temperature exist, but it was freezing cold and I got sick!

The stupid bus driver and the stupid fare collector?? Guess what?? They were wearing anorak!

What baffles me is that people still visit Phuket. As far as I'm concerned, I crossed this hole off the map a long time ago.

And using physical violence against a woman is unacceptable.

Edited by CDG931

Why does she want to stay in that taxi? The driver and her have obviously a "misunderstanding". Refusing to get out of the taxi won't make the situation any better.

They are at a gasoline station and not in the middle of a dark road. She can just step out and avoid further trouble.

Above is obviously no reason for the taxi driver to behave like that. But if she would just step away then this wouldn't happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I can go back 24 years, I landed in Phuket one night got a taxi to take me to the Holiday inn Patong I knew where I wanted to go, then he stopped at some travel shop on the by pass road, they were trying to get me to change hotels, I think that scam still goes on, some place got heavily fined, 

Yeah, happened to me one time. Probably about 20 years ago.   We refused to get out of the taxi.  It was late and we had traveled 24 hours.  No way were we getting out of the taxi.   And yes, it still goes on.  I had an AIrBNB condo for rent before the pandemic.  Happened to at least 3 of our customers, that I know of.    

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, gerritkaew said:

She lucky to be alive .

Lose her taxi fare but she made it alive. 

No kick in the face or raped, couse this thailand, no respect for foreign people..

And the 'taxi' driver comes clear with the thing, but iff it a foreign driver, 5 year jail time, all his belongings gone and iff he survive jail get kicked out of the country...

When tourist going to anderstand this a dangerous country, you more safe in Beiroet !!!

Complete cobblers, from start to finish.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The taxi driving thugs (I refuse to call them mafia as they are small-time crooks) had their chance as the island tried to recover after the tsunami and again after the pandemic.

Mafia = organized crime. I am pretty sure that definition fits. And I am sure the drivers are not keeping all the cash from the tourists for themselves.

And about recovery. That's exactly what they do. Like: We missed income for a year. Now charge double to that we recover that loss. ;) 

1 hour ago, Nickcage49 said:

Gotta love those taxi drivers. I'm so glad I don't live in Bangkok anymore.

Obviously there are lots of greedy taxi driver in Bangkok. And they are easy to avoid. Don't step into any taxi which refuses to use the meter.

And the taxi drivers who use the meter are IMHO mostly alright. 

Perhaps she richly deserved a beating and he let her off with the soft touch.  Plenty of noise from the peanut gallery here at TV; how many have driven a taxi or worked with the public, in any capacity?  

The shocking part is a woman playing the victim. We all know that women never embellish anything and always give both sides of the story.  

One night last year I stopped in at a bar on Soi Pothole.  Bought a drink for myself and one for the lady who served me.  Ordered another round for both of us not long after and I'll be damned if she didn't call me a monkey's a s shole in Issan. 

According to local custom she richly deserved a beating for speaking to a customer in such a fashion.  I coaxed her out of the bar and told her to call a Thai man out on the soi what she had just said to me.  Absolute terror on her face and she went straight  back into the bar.  I told the guy that she looked at him and said something about "daak ling "  so I wanted to find out why she said that about a man out on the street. 

Then I paid my bill, blew her a kiss, and left. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So might you if you think that what was shown in that video constitutes assault under Thai law.

or mind. which clearly the lady was suffering emotional and or mental damage during this situation. 

Section 295. Bodily Injury

Whoever, causes injury to the other person in body or mind is said to commit bodily harm, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or fined not exceeding four thousand Baht, or both.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

This is destroying the image of the country and also the image of Phuket taxis...”

This ship has long sailed... At least since the aftermath of the tsunami 2004, when taxi drivers demanded 3,000 baht and more to go to the airport... "No? Okay, you walk..."

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1